Aligning elements in Ekie 16c lens

jeffpb7

Hello, I have recently discovered the beauty of anamorphic lenses, and decided to purchase an Ekie 16c. Unfortunately, it's soft and the seller won't take it back, so I'm going to try to fix it myself. Can someone please explain the steps in taking apart and aligning the lenses? Or maybe there's a tutorial or diagram that I could look at? I watched a video tutorial on how to take one apart, but it's very blurry, and I can't make out all of the parts clearly. I know it's difficult, but if someone that has some experience in the matter can tell me what to avoid or look for when taking it apart, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Jeff

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

My first advice is - don't do it

but if you want to proceed these are the steps for complete disassembly only, remember to mark things and take photos!

1. Unscrew front lens hood anticlockwise

2. Remove three grub screws and unscrew focus retaining ring

3. Unwind focus ring - it unwinds toward rear of lens (mark where helicoid comes apart)

4. Remove screws from brass guide rails and remove rails from guide slots

5. Part inner tube from outer tube

6. Using lens wrench remove front lens retaining ring, shim and rubber seal if present

7. Using lens wrench remove rear lens retaining ring, shim and rubber seal if present

8. Apply acetone to rim of lenses to loosen glue

9  Push lenses out from the inside using a makeshift daub, if stubborn repeat from step 8.

You may not need to go beyond step 4 if the guide rails are worn, either replace or run a trace of solder along the edges to fatten them up.

The rest is up to you.

YOYO  = You're On Your Own :P

Thanks John, that's great! Any advise on which way to rotate the glass, or which piece to rotate(front or back)? It's almost sharp right now, but it seems like it's off a hair. At long distances it's sharper. I'd have it fixed by a professional, but I can't seem to find any techs in the Sacramento area. I did find one in LA that I'm going to call today, but I'm afraid of what they mite charge me, so I wanted a plan B to take it apart. I also have another Ekie, that is very sharp, but has fungus on the inside, which I need to get cleaned. Both lenses were allegedly in mint condition. The seller of the one with fungus is going to pay for the cleaning(because Ebay has frozen his payment until resolved), the other said he's going to send me $50(I'm not holding my breath). I also bought a Sankon 16c, that is perfect, so the third time was a charm, but I need to fix the other 2 if I want to sell them for what I paid for them. Thanks again for the info! :)  

Thanks Jon and itimjim, I think I'm going to give it a shot. Hopefully it's a bad combination like John said. but if I have to move to rotate it I should to tiny adjustments, right? How can I make such tiny adjustments? Can you tell me any cheap tools I can pick up that mite be useful? Wound a laser help with alignment? I have screwdrivers and a lens wrench, but that's it. I'm going to get some acetone.

Also, my other lens is sharp, but it needs cleaning on the inner elements. Can I clean it easily without mis-aligning it?

Thanks a lot, you guys are a huge help! 

There are two more combinations by rotating the inner tube 180 degrees, giving 8 combos in total with the guides. Try this first before messing with the glass. 

As for fungus, get to step 5 and use cotton swap dipped in PONDS cream over affected area. Leave overnight and rinse off with zippo lighter fluid.

Dont rub too hard - the inner coatings will rub off = be warned