Night Call Round Rock (GH2 Anamorphic)

Sean Cunningham

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Makes you wonder how in the hell they get smooth footage when the car is bumping around with all the road gaps, potholes, etc.  I like the footage and that music does sound so 80's.  I thought the century would flare more?  Maybe it was just too dark? 

It seems to produce very discrete flares at the light without a lot of extra internal reflections and flashing you see in a lot of the 2X adapters. You also have to take into consideration the taking lens, however, and how it plays a huge part.  I wouldn't expect my classic Nikkor to have as many coatings as modern lenses but they did produce it for a number of years.  I haven't bothered to research my serial number to see if it's one from the '70s or a later issue with possibly more clinical coating.

The same adapter, for instance, paired with my Lumix kit lens produces a modest flare when pointed into the sun.

Flaring, along with assumptions about close focusing and sharpness at a given aperture, depends heavily on the taking lens.  For instance, I'm not using a diopter here, @F/2.8, yet I'm getting much better sharpness and edge performance than a lot of posted test videos would have me believe I should be getting.  I can also get acceptable focus, without a diopter, at not much more than a foot in front of the lens.  I credit the Nikkor and it's CRC design for much of this.  

A lot of the posted reactions to anamorphics at various distances, parts of the frame, and various apertures (at least where the Century/Optex are concerned) may also be more a reaction to the performance of the taking lens.  Just looking at Ken Rockwell's comparison of various Nikon lenses at the same focal length and the same aperture shows marked, huge differences in characteristics and performance...a lot of which I expect would be, as if by magic, normalized and/or improved with a diopter like the Tokina doublet, without even including an anamorphic of any kind into the equation.

I haven't been shooting with my prized Tokina simply because with my current setup gives me slight vignetting with wider lenses until my new Redstan gets here, otherwise I'd likely just put it on and leave it on for most situations.

Oh, and it's likely no coincidence when you see movie camera cars (besides the weight of carrying giant cameras, cranes/jibs, etc. and at least a few people) they're almost uniformly SUVs on big, balloon tires, compared to what I was driving.

Lower profile radial tires + KYB AGX adjustable performance shocks + Tein S.Tech lowering performance springs isn't gonna be optimal, unless you're doing a high speed chase ;)