Cheap rig solution for BMPCC

redimp

Hey guys,

I keep planning my little setup and with your help I hope to decide about the last bits pieces – rig, power and previewing.

Since I'm on a budget I am looking for different solutions that might not be super professional, but should work for someone like me who does this as a hobby.

1. For rig I am looking for a shoulder + counterweight setup, with follow focus. So far this option looks the best in terms of price, reviews and quick delivery. I was not looking for a cage, but it's a nice bonus. Another option is to buy this used one. Converted to USD it's around 300, but already has a powering solution. In both cases I will probably have to re-attach bars from the grip on top to make the whole rig longer and put weights on the back (luckily I have nice and small rubberized one's that should fit perfectly).

2. Field monitor. I was initially going to not buy it, but then I realized that shooting @2x anamorphic will be too hard for someone not too experienced like me, and previewing de-squeezed would really help me frame. I am still looking for something super-affordable. So far I've found this monitor, but it's somewhat shady and I can't find any info about if it's able to work in different aspect ratios to shoot 2x anamorphic. Everything else I've found goes for around $300 and more, and is waaay beyond my budget.

3. Powering solution. So far I am completely lost on this. I've found some Chinese adapters, all go for around $70, but I have no idea what should I be looking for to power BMPCC and Filed monitor. I am looking for something like 2-3 hours of independent work in the field for the worst case scenario, preferably around 5 hours. We're gonna shoot in the cold mountains pretty soon, so those number will go down significantly because of cold too.

My only current worry is that I am planning to use some zoom lens that are pretty long, thick and heavy, on top with Isco S8 2x and Rangefinder. This way the whole setup can get pretty long, and the follow focus will have to go to the very front of the setup to work with Rangefinder. This will push bmpcc pretty far back, so I'm afraid I won't be able to look at it at all, so the field monitor is supposed to help with that too.

I'll appreciate all your thoughts. Thanks.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs