Exposed - The $2400 5D Mk II viral ad

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[html]

[img]http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/5dmkii-wave.jpg[/img]

Does $2400 buy coverage on nearly every DSLR related website? And do ads need to be honest?

[url="http://www.eoshd.com/content/5753/exposed-the-2400-5d-mk-ii-viral-ad/"]Read full article[/url]

[/html]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest kevineleven
[html]

I’ve worked in PR, its probably 99.9% likely the whole stunt was set up by B&H. There is a massive industry in creating so called ‘real’ virals for big companies.

If so, its sneaky and dishonest, but then again, since when has advertising ever been truthful?

[/html]

Guest jmadara
[html]

I follow several photo and filmmaking sites and B&H is know to loan all kinds of camera equipment to these sites in exchange for a review and a link to their site. What I gather from the story is the guy was a B&H customer who lost his camera and B&H felt like giving him a camera. Perhaps he was a very good customer and spent a lot of money at B&H. I don’t see the harm in B&H getting a little press for giving the guy a camera. I buy from several retailers and my experience has been great with B&H. I guess I disagree with your assessment.

[/html]

Guest Bill Sipperly
[html]

I am a first time poster. First let me say that I am a huge fan of your blog Andrew. I think it is the best photography blog on the web! Maybe I am just biased in favor of the GH2. Anyway I believe that the “stunt” that B&H pulled off does not victimize anybody and does not misrepresent anything and therefore cannot be construed as “low-brow”.

[/html]

Guest Andrew Reid
[html]

Indeed and I can appreciate the marketing side. Possibly what angers me more is that the blogs spread the crap so readily and people get mislead. Advertising does need to start to be more ethical, it is going too far. This isn’t creative. It is low-brow

[/html]

Guest bradbell.tv
[html]

I find George Orwell is the best guide on advertising. Everything is an inversion of itself (except when it’s not). Every flaw is a feature. Spontaneous actions are not planned; they are rituals. If a product is called OpenSomething, it’s probably closed – that’s the whole rationale of the branding excersise. (Test: what is The Big Society about?)

You make a good point, Andrew and it’s only going to get worse. Mass media advertising is folding in on itself. Word of mouth and trusted reviews count for much more. The values of the web are replacing the values of the mass media. Personal, authentic, and timely beat scripted and polished. Personal recommendations and trusted reviews beat mass media messaging. You want real? We’ll fabricated some real for you! We’ll appropriate some reality for you. We can fake authenticity like you wouldn’t believe.

An ad needs to appear as an ad or the entire edifice collapses. Nothing is real. No one can be trusted. No one is talking to no one.

(In the future, this blog article would be part of the script. The ‘naysayer’ voice which rekindles interest in the controversy about the reality of the psuedo-event.)

(Answer: The Big Society is about starving society; making it shrink; disappear.)

[/html]

Guest garnetcampbell
[html]

I’m happy for the guy he has a new camera, he must have felt devastated when it was destroyed, B&H IS a hero for replacing it.. and so what if they only did it for the advertising, They exist to sell gear period, I dont expect them to be a charity. Its the way of the world but in this case, both parties win. Its a happy story, no one got hurt, there are other things happening in the world we can get outraged about.

[/html]

Guest Simco123
[html]

Calm down dear!
As a society maybe we are bored by the samey arty farty works that gets lost amongst millions of other prentiously same shits. Something that is different, spontaneous even though amateurish gets the public imagination and we try to identify with it therfore arouses greater interest. While I appreciate art I also value originality over predictable technical perfection. An analogy I have is glamour photography being doing it for about 6 years and seen plenty of excellent looking images but because they all looked the same I got bored but some of the more interesting ones tend to be controversial that werent exactly excellent in technique and because they werent great it lend to credibility. One of my fav glamour photo was when the model was chased by a bee during a photoshoot, her face was in such horror while being completely starker [img]http://www.eoshd.com/wp-includes/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[/html]

Guest Andrew Reid
[html]

Hi Bill. Thanks for disagreeing. I am ok with that. In my opinion intercepting a virus is a low brow marketing ploy especially when people don’t see it for what it is and believe in it. I just want to buy from a company that has ethics in how they communicate. I want the communication to be truthful and I want to know when I see an ad and not have it disguised as ‘a good deed’ when it is just an ad. This isn’t the same as an untruthful ad… nearly all ads exaggerate the allure of a product in a false way right from when A Mars A Day Helps You Work Rest And Play was coined. I don’t mind that at all. But this one is by the back door I’m afraid.

[/html]

Guest Andrew Reid
[html]

Don’t you see? B&H is a hero is exactly what they WANT you to think, so they can take your money.

Really people… It is time to start judging companies on their REAL merits not what their marketing teams want you to think.

It does matter and it is a serious issue in our consumerist society. It is a form of brain washing in fact.

[/html]

Guest Simco123
[html]

Everything. Arty farty films = plenty, repitious, predictable, the things that don’t grab peoples attention. Apart from a few enthusiasts you are very unlike to get anybody sharing video clips to comment how good technically a clip is filmed or how stylish it is. Riviera only get talked about by a few geeks on dedicated forum sites (like this one). What get send around and go viral to the masses are the unpredictable, controversial often home movies that was captured by chance in a million, these are the ones that get people talking.

[/html]

Guest Andrew Reid
[html]

It irks me a bit too that my tests get higher ratings when they reveal a new capability of a camera, but that is what people in this context are interested in, so it is understandable and clearly labeled as a test. This viral isn’t clearly labeled as a big B&H ad, which is what it has become.

[/html]

[html]

Know what irks me a bit is something similar….stupid hack tests of trees and gop motion get bigger hits than quality films made by people who work hard to write,script and want to make films on places like vimeo.
But aint that always the way.
People prefer to watch shit like fluffy cats on youtube than something with content.

[/html]

Guest tjbates05
[html]

Stories like this happen all the time. I think we all need to take a deep breath and dive back into film making.
For Sale: Canon EOS 1000D
Description: only used underwater once, in the Pacific Ocean, for approximately one year.

https://plus.google.com/104277202662943073951/posts/MH4ZjS8fi2q

[/html]

Guest ehrlich
[html]

Honesty? You mean like when you overpraise some legacy lens that you coincidently have for sale on ebay? Or when you post a dithyrambic “review” of dslr magic crap adapted CCTV lens that you just got for free (along a nice paypal transfer I’m sure)? Coincidences, right? Great old honesty! What a fucking p.o.s. hypocrite, you fucking failed filmmakers are. The only reason you attack B&H tactics is because you didn’t get a slice of that pie. You so full of shit, bloggers are not professionals, they never were and nerver will. There’s just histrionic shit-stirrers like yourself trying to scam people. There’s no such thing as professional journalist bloggers bound by a code of ethics, and that, is honesty.

[/html]

[html]

So you wouldn’t mind if B&H gave you a free camera if yours got destroyed? Even though I hate marketing tricks I probably wouldn’t complain. What strikes me as odd is why was the camera was left in such a vulnerable spot. Any owner who does that is a bit of a fool and here the “fool” gets rewarded for his mistake. What kind of message does that give to the public? Now every goof who destroys his camera is going to come crying to the global confession booth of the internet in the hopes that their salvation will be given with a replacement of their lost tech toy. Its disposable material culture glorified. Yes, these sad but viral stories feed the spectacle. Its up to 800k views now which is 1600k eyes!

[/html]

[html]

typical ‘guerrilla marketing’ – as they call it. Not what I’d call it. Id reserve the word ‘guerrilla’ for good things like guerrilla filmmaking and guerrilla warfare.
well, I hate advertising in every shape and form. Its totally unnecessary. So this is just the shit icing on the shit cake really.

No idea what Simco123 is on about. Talking out the a-hole.

Bill – you have the wrong idea. It is victimising – its trying to trick you that this is an original piece of work with no financial backing and also instill the idea that B+H has some kind of social morality. This is clearly a lie.

Good blog, more stuff like this, it makes sense to have perspective, this is not just a ‘geek blog’ like some idiots like to think.

[/html]