An alternative view from inside CES 2012 by Illya Friedman

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[html]

[img]http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/ces-hotrod-eoshd.jpg[/img]

Illya Friedman of [url="http://www.hotrodcameras.com"]Hot Rod Cameras[/url] investigated CES 2012 this year for EOSHD. Rather than reel off what we already know about new cameras, specs and product announcements Illya has written about the overall trends for the show and what it is like to go there. It is a unique and exclusive take on the biggest consumer entertainment show in the world – enjoy!

Illya also has a hands on look at a 8K TV, Sony 4K home theatre projector, the Nikon D4 and the very promising Fuji X Pro 1.

[url="http://www.eoshd.com/?p=6828/"]Read full article[/url]

[/html]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Thanks to Illya for a great CES highlight article. Andrew was wise to get you on-board, and I appreciate you taking the time to share. (full disclosure: Illya worked for months to design/build the first effective BNCR to m4/3 lens mount adapters for me. He does awesome work!)

Question for everyone: do we as consumers or independent film/videomakers shooting primarily for TV and the the web reeally NEED 4K? I can see the value for big screen stuff, and maybe for re-framing shots or more robust post, but can people really tell the difference if not side by side with HD, or if they are not told there is a difference?

I haven't even upgraded to Blu-ray for my home system after doing an impromptu test that found less than 10% of my friends (many of whom are industry pros) and family could pick out the Blu-ray vs. upgraded DVD on a 42" Panasonic plasma screen. (Actually, if I told them the video was Blu-ray everyone was amazed at the better clarity, sharpness, and color. Even if it was only upscaled DVD.) Heck, most of them couldn't tell much difference in the 42" 1080 screen in the house and the 42" 720 client monitor in the studio. Ultimately, there just wasn't enough quality gain for me to justify the costs involved. I generally don't even buy HD downloads from iTunes because the SD is acceptably crisp and clean from the AppleTV.

How big a screen and at what viewing distance does 4K really need to be visibly effective? As a viewer (not a shooter/editor) does it make THAT much difference for casual home viewing, or even commercial TV? Thoughts?

• Administrators
I am also wondering the same about 4K, and whether it is overkill for the home? Certainly is for internet video.

The human retina can only resolve so much, hence the iPhone retina display pixel pitch being almost invisible at normal viewing distances. Considering you are sat considerably further from a TV than you are from a phone, do you really need such a fine pixel pitch on a 50 inch? I'd say not.