Anyone been using Edelkrone rigs for their GH2 or DSLR for shoots???

dreams2movies

Ok, Is the Anamorphic lenses worth getting over shooting with regular primes and cropping the image.. I've read reviews and forums, and seen Andrew Reid's videos with them, but they cost just as much as a good prime lens, and its additional attaches to your prime on a rig, etc...

is it worth it in the end, money wise, and headache wise, when you can shoot with only your prime and crop for the extra wide aspect ratio...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
@dreams2movies - I think you need to check in the Anamorphic Forum. Another guy had the same question as you. I think for static locked shots on a tripod, Anamorphic works. But I have yet to find a way to rack focus dependably without an Iscorama, and that's now big bucks. Depending on how you shoot, cropping works just fine. But there is that "look" that Anamorphics produce that is unique. Then again, having a vintage lens will also give you a distinct look. If you have limited money, buy a vintage lens. Anamorphic lenses require a prime lens to mate with, so you can always get an anamorphic later.

You can check out how I managed to put GH2 w/ Anamorphic + Canon 5dmkIII footage together:
http://youtu.be/JEasP2JZlyo

I used the Edelkrone Modular 5 rig and have to say that it is poorly designed for handheld work. The big flaw is that the camera is set too far forward, the weight of the rig is too high, and you have to lift your arms up to hold the bars. This creates a lot of strain, an unbalanced rig, and makes good handheld work difficult. I would not buy this rig due to this because it does not do the basics of what a handheld rig should. The follow focus is also poorly designed because it does not leave room for a matte box (unless you use a really small cheap one) and the smaller reversible wheel just slips under the tension of focus pulling.

Much better is a rig based around the Zacuto DSLR baseplate, because with this the camera is much closer to your head and much better balanced. Their hand bars are also set lower which is much more comfortable. I would save up the money, or buy second hand. I bought a whole zacuto handheld rig, matte box, follow focus etc for £1000. It can be done. Just keep watching ebay. The main thing to get is the DSLR baseplate, then just one handgrip on the right that is set low will do because your left hand will mostly be on the follow focus. You could buy other parts from other cheaper suppliers from there such as a weight and shoulder pad and so on. But, overall, don't buy cheap if you're serious about your work.