Which MacBook Pro for Premiere Pro? Or a PC?

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[html]

[img]http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/macbook-pro.jpg[/img]

There are now a lot of MacBook Pros to choose from and Apple’s falling out with NVidia together with the relative disappointment of FCPX has put a new spin on which machine to buy for video editing.

[url="/"]Read full article[/url]

[/html]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest damenstephens
[html]

You are sure that there are PC mobiles with Thunderbolt, but cannot perform a simple internet search to verify such ?

“But I hate the way the pre-unibody chassis falls apart and the general unreliability of that system caused by faulty logic boards and a NVidia integration issue with their 8600 card”. What ARE you talking about ? Yet another lack of research and faulty understanding on your part.

Firstly, the english – it should be “an Nvidia” because the “N” is a “vowel-sounding” letter (“en”).

Secondly, there is no fault with the “construction” of pre-unibody Macbook Pros – “falling apart” is certainly not a problem I have EVER heard of. Heck even cheap plastic Acer and HP PC’s don’t “fall apart” and their construction is MUCH worse. There are no general “Logic Board” problems either, unless you are referring specifically to the faulty Nvidia chip which is part of the logic board. The only problem with these units is the Nvidia 8600gt chip, and this is not an “integration problem” (whatever that is supposed to mean). It is a problem within the substrate used in the Nvidia chip itself and is not exclusive to the Mac system (though Nvidia lied to Apple and told them their chips were unaffected, unlike the PC units which had developed faults).

[/html]

Guest tobyloc
[html]

Just my 2 cents here, I had a similar quandry a few months ago and was set on getting the new sandybridge 17″ MBP, I decided to spec up a Dell l502x in comparison and sadly my credibility in coffee shops is now shot, as the dell came to over £1000 cheaper and I couldn’t justify that for the same specs.The Dell is 15″ but with an upgraded full hd screen which is supposed to actually be better than the mac screens.It’s got better sound, a similar battery life (though the bigger battery protrudes [img]http://www.eoshd.com/wp-includes/images/smilies/icon_sad.gif[/img] ). It’s not built as well and it’s heavier for sure but it’s smaller as it’s 15″ and in general I have no complaints about quality, this is their pro series. Also, as it’s not a unibody and not a crazy price, I’ve been fine with pulling it apart and replacing the RAM, HDD and optical drive (with a second HDD). It’s an 8GB, i7 2.2GHZ, cuda enabled, super fast SSD (the one I installed is faster than the mac SSDs), great quality full HD screen, USB3 and eSATA monster. Also, regarding cuda, when I switch it off it’s noticeably slower when rendering and playing and I don’t edit 96fps red, mostly DSLR footage so know that if I had the Mac I would be slowed down and out of pocket. Obviousy, horses for courses and I love Apple and Macs and I still think the Sandybridge MBP is great and if there were loads of thunderbolt peripherals I would be even more sold but so far, I’m getting work done quicker and have an extra £1000 so feel it was the right choice for me.

[/html]

Guest RedKite
[html]

I recently bought a laptop aimed at occasional use and budget. I use it to check results in the field, backup footage, video editing and show my work to people. I think it’s an alternative for people with other priorities.
Requirements:
- playback premiere 5.5 sequence in (near) realtime with some filters added
- good screen with representative colors
- good sound so I don’t have to bring external speakers

I went for the cheapest Dell XPS 15″ TN panel with NVidia GT 525m 1GB, intel i3 2100, 250GB 7200hd, 2GB ram and the JBL soundsystem for 460 euro (action 20% discount and free shipping, no extra tax)
At home I bought 2x4GB ddr3 ram for 41 euro incl shipping from a webshop.
The screen needs heavy calibration to look nice and now it’s good enough for me. The sound is pretty impressive, HD space is low but I buy a couple of USB3 external drives and split OS from cache and project footage for better premiere performance. The USB3 external drives are now as fast as internal and very useful.
Premiere CS5.5 performs pretty nice. I tried a project backup with embedded Canon DSLR mov clip sequences and a couple of color filters and the whole project played without much trouble. Nvidia GT525m works fine with mercury so no need to wait for future versions of premiere.
I’m very happy with the laptop and Dell offers upgrades in their store like the well known IPS 1080p screen if needed. I’m just starting as a film maker and can’t spend too much money. Having a fine working system now decreases the need for an upgrade to CS6/7. And windows7? Works fine for me with large thumbnail previews in explorer of about every movieclip like AVCHD, Canon MOV, AVI, MTS. And from there I start 3rd party software.

[/html]

[html]

“At the high end, I’d go for a £2000 MacBook Pro over a £2000 PC any day even if the PC had twice the horse power. Ask yourself whether you need to gain those extra seconds and whether you’ll even make use of it”

Sorry this does not make sense to me. You would quite happily pay £2000 for £1000 of performance just because it’s got an Apple sticker on the side of it. Making “use” of it is gaining those extra few seconds so that you can review or do something else.

[/html]

Guest demetrisdiakoumopoulos
[html]

I have been running a desktop PC, nearly a year now, with i7 950 12gb RAM and Nvidia GTX 470 and I have seen a huge difference in performance when CUDA is enabled.
I don’t do 96fps 5K I mostly edit DSLR footage and AVCHD.

[/html]

Guest moebius22
[html]

I have a shoot this morning so I can’t go into detail right now, but this video may give people an idea of Sandy Bridge performance even without CUDA.

http://blogs.adobe.com/davtechtable/2011/03/adobes-mercury-playback-engine-apples-new-macbook-pro-17-wthunderbolt-2.html

Of course the more ram the better. 16gb is still coming down and around $500.00 now, so it may be worth the wait to get that.

[/html]

• Administrators
[html]

Rather than doing second hand research, my on-unibody MacBook experiences are first hand. It did fall apart. Lose screws, widening gaps, enlarged bolt holes, flexing, the lot. I had to bake the logic board in the oven last month to even get it to boot. It had the 8600 card from Nvidia but passed the Apple test meaning it was a more general logic board failure. The stories are all over the web, it is a common problem after 1-2 years on those machines.

The unibody models are a big step up.

[/html]

• Administrators
[html]

Apple sticker? Do you miss the more obvious engineering advantages altogether? The engineering and design is why I went to Apple, I couldn’t have cared less about the brand in fact I actively used to despise the aloof brand until the iPod came along.

A Mac gives you an integrated design, integrated peripherals, complete lack of hassle, no need to update drivers, far better UI, better mail app and FaceTime, iCloud, TimeMachine, better display, no need for anti-virus crap and when Final Cut Pro X gets serious again it is capable of running it.

OSX Lion is still the best OS. I’m sorry but Windows 7 just isn’t in the same league.

[/html]

Guest moebius22
[html]

Never said it did. If you use Mac applications or calibrate with other other Mac users (like I do) this whole mac versus pc argument is a mute point.

[/html]

Guest moebius22
[html]

Price is a big factor. I can build something on PC with damn good performance for a lot less than an Apple with the same off the shelf parts.

Maybe it’s because I’m a PC guy who uses Apple out of necessity, but Apple’s (and accessories) are way overpriced and hem me in in terms of options.

[/html]

Guest Bartneck
[html]

I use the latest MBP 17″ together with a Crucial M4 512MB SSD drive (firmware 009). It gives me read/write speeds beyond 400MB/sec. It costs me EUR 650,- on top. The SSD gives a speed bump to almost every workflow – a speed bump that you actually can feel. I will never again buy a Laptop without SSD.

[/html]