Thoughts on the AX1?

Darktide Media

Hi to everyone on EOSHD, sorry to ask this on my first post but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with the new Sony AX1 4K handy-cam. I shoot alot of sports and outdoor stuff. My main thing is photography but I also have done a good amount of shooting video using cameras such as DSLR cameras to RED. All of em are good to me and what I need them for, my top camera being the Sony FS700. One thing that I have not done though is use a small sensor for filming unless you count GoPro and RePlay XD.  

I have seen very little footage from the 2 new cameras, but the specs are really good on paper, the big one being 4K 60p and also have 630mm of telephoto seems great. But with such a small sensor is there any DOF? Or is it all in focus? I would use this camera for things like action sport filming at events and short films. 

Or would a camera like the new Blackmagic 4K be a better fit. Space is not an issue for us really and neither is editing the 10 bit files. We have done it before. The FS700 is great but the 12,000 price is hard to look at once you add the 4K, for a smaller company. For that we can just rent the Epic when needed. We want a camera we can own to do some good work when we want and rent higher end when needed. Also I have all Nikon Glass since I shoot on the D7100. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs