Fiming in 60p vs 50p in europe

Leon Yiu

Hello

I was wondering about your thoughts on whether its best to film in 60p or 50p for those in 50hz countries.

In the Pal/ntsc days with the tradeoff from the 60i ntsc standard being 480 lines over 576 lines in Pal the increased frame rate came at a cost.

Now however Hdtv resolutions are standardised. There is a push for 50/60p frame rates for uhd video, however in 50hz countries that'll mean 10 fewer frames per second and in future with 120fps/100fps that'll be a difference of 20 fps which is significant.

There were several issues with filming at a framerate different from the electricity supply, however many of these issues are now non-existent, most flat panels sold now can happily except 50/60i and fluorescent lights have ballasts which up the frequency to several megahertz to prevent flicker. For broadcast of a 2160p/60 to a hd 1080i/50 channel, every sixth frame can be dropped and interlaced for hd broadcast.

Wouldn't it be better to have a standardised frame rate throughout the whole world rather than multiples of legacy frame rates otherwise here in europe we'll be watching fewer fps than in the u.s and japan.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 3 months later...

Hi Leon.

I have set my Eos 600D to NTSC so i can shoot @ 30P. I have not had any problems with flicker yet and my HDTV has no problem reading and displaying the format. 30P is a little better than 25p for action filming and it matches youtube.

It's sad that so many compact cameras are sticked to 50 or 25 P in Europe, and 30 ot 60P for the US market.

They have often set the meuse so the user can't change it.