Trouble extracting GH4 frames

Vertigo

Hi,

For a scientific project, I need to extract (all) individual frames from GH4 footage (both 4K and 2K).

Both tools I usually use (Matlab and Photoshop CS5) seem to have trouble producing consistent frame sequences (.tiff files). Both produce some identical frames along the process. Sometimes all frames except the first are identical. Sometimes the frames contain a mix of two images.

It happens with both C4K and 2K footage, .MP4 or .MOV, 100M, 24, 30 or 60p. Only 50M files seem to be correctly read and decomposed.

As I am not a videographer, and don't know much about codecs (except that I had to install Klite codec pack to read the files on my PC), I thought I could find some help among people that are used to manipulating those files.

- Did anybody encounter such issues already ?

- Is the H264 codec of GH4 special in any way ? should I install a special codec or filter and where could I find it (not much on panasonic's site) ?

- What software would you use to reliably extract frames ? For example all frames of a .MOV file (even better if it can do something like "from frame 1250 to 2530, with 1 frame every 8 frames".)

- if I need to transcode the files, for example to MJPEG that Matlab should read easily, what software should I use ?

Thanks a lot.

Manu (France).

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

In Sony Vegas here I can just render as an image sequence as Tiffs or Jpegs and it does it perfectly. Weird why it doesn't work in your software. If you want you can upload the MOV file on something like Google Drive and I'll do it for you, 

If your software works correctly with a certain codec file type, you can try transcoding the trouble-making file to that codec/container. Best software is the free -MPEG Streamclip. Easy, fast, simple, and contains all codecs and containers.