OM-D or RX100 for Round the World (and other gear for such a trip)

wanderpunk

I'm headed off on an around the world adventure where I'll be taking lots of photos and making a series of short videos about game traditions around the world (card games, board games, gambling games, etc...).

I picked up an OM-D+Panasonc 20mm for this trip thinking that the durability, size, audio input (w SEMA-1), and IBIS were fantastic features for my trip. I love the photo I'm taking. I also think the video IBIS is pretty wonderful for my purposes of on-the-go shooting, but have some concerns with the video:

-the SEMA-1 mic pics up incredible wind noise and even the IBIS system itself can be heart. It's unclear if there is a better mic to mount on the camera using the SEMA-1 input
-I have struggled with focus using the panasonic lens. Manual works but I'm not good at it and I can't be confident when shooting myself via xShot monopod.
-I also appear to look "like a tourist" even in my own town with this thing around my neck when I'm just wearing it casually.
-I already feel like I need a wider lens for monopod use.
-I'm a light traveler so the camera, charger, battery, lenses, etc... end up being a significant portion of my whole trip gear.

So, I've been eyeing the RX100 along with a separate audio recorder. It is wider, more frame rate options, TINY, charges via USB, and I was impressed by the video I saw. I know the IS isn't as effective, but I hope it would work for me.

I'd love some thoughts about this decision and also about general gear to bring (current plan with OM-D is small tripod, xShot monopod, one of those sport rapid straps, some mic solution I haven't figured out, 3-4 batteries, macbook air, maybe another lens or two, and a couple filters.

As for quality. I'm not expecting national geographic, but I want good quality. Especially audio since I think that makes or breaks it. For the video I want to to be beautiful enough to be visually touching to watch at times, but with a kit light enough to go anywhere and not limit me. I believe less is more in many things and would like to carry that through in my photography/videography.

Thanks very much for your advice!

Jordan

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
If audio for you "makes it or breaks it" you should not depend on the onboard sound anyways. If smallness is the main goal, I´d get a Zoom H1 and a Sennheiser MKE400 or the newer Rode Videomic Pro (I prefer the Sennheiser´s sound but the Rode overs a tad more functionality once you´ve dealt with its rubber suspension). Maybe also a MK2 lav, the MKE2 is much better, but the MK2 works better with the ZoomH1 and sometimes can be bought cheaper from people who got it with their G2/3 wireless kits...

[list]
[*]Dimensions: 5.1 x 0.83 x 2.4 in. (130 x 21 x 62 mm)
[*]Weight: Approx. 2.1 oz. (60 g)
[/list]
[indent=1]I wouldn´t call that big ;) And get the deadcat for windy situations...[/indent]

[indent=1]On recording yourself, how will you hold the camera?[/indent]
[indent=1]I also mentioned the lav (Sennheiser me2), this would probably be best for recording yourself and it practically takes up no extra space...[/indent]

The plan is to use the monopod and hold it in my left hand with the camera lens facing me. That's why focus is a challenge. So if I used the MKE and recorder it'd be a bit odd to set up. the xShot only holds about 1.5 pounds too. But yes the lav could work! Would it work for interviews?

[quote name='wanderpunk' timestamp='1346466951' post='17061']
Would it work for interviews?
[/quote]
Sure, why wouldn´t it? ;)
The H1 similar in size to a wireless transmitter, it weights close to nothing, so even if your talent would (for what ever reasons) be naked, you could just tape it to the body ;o)
More practically you would set recording levels, put the bottons on "hold" and stick it in your or your talents trouser´s pocket...
So you can even make an interview in a wide shot, in your case a man behind a table, explaning a card game and you see both, him and the table and other players, whatever...
You need to sync the sound in post of course...