Sony A5100 loses 120fps mode?

dahlfors

I've been looking for an upgrade to my NEX-5. Thought the Sony A5100 would be perfect for shooting my snowboarding trips - since it has the 720p 120fps mode that would open up awesome possibilities for slowing down the snowboarding. Another camera I had in mind was the A6000, if only it would get a similar firmware update that the RX10 got with XAVC-S and 720p@120fps.

Then I noticed that Sony has removed all mentions of 720p@120fps from their specification pages, although all the early reviews mention the 720p@120fps, like DPReview: http://***URL removed***/previews/sony-alpha-a5100/2

Got me suspicious, which lead me into this post:
http://community.sony.com/t5/Alpha-SLT-DSLR-Cameras/Can-t-find-a-720p-120fps-mode-on-my-new-a5100/td-p/445276

Quote: "Just purchased the Alpha 5100 (a5100) today and, to my surprise, there's no 720p 120 fps mode. Missing in action. I based my purchasing decision on this mode being supported by this camera. Looking at the latest official specifications on Sony's site, the 720p/120fps mode is no longer listed."

I know Sony has been bad at updating firmwares and add features to older models earlier... But this time it seems like they've stripped a feature at release - a feature that had already been announced!

I must say I'm not happy with a camera manufacturer just stripping announced features from a camera - without doing any communication what so ever about it. And if the issue is that the feature couldn't be finalized in time for release, I think the least they should do is to communicate if it will come in a later firmware or not.

I'm happy I didn't order this camera already, but I really think it's about time that certain camera companies straighten up their communications if they want to keep their customers.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Canon had the 3x crop mode announced in the pre-production eos-m, and took it off in the production unit. They did lose an eos m customer however :rolleyes:

Sometimes some companies didn't give a official announcement in time when they upgrade their firmwares and add features to older models,etc. But I still like sony band. In generall, the products are not bad.

If you want to shoot your snowboarding trips, there is a good choose for you: http://goo.gl/w2bKzV.

Thanks, but I already have Gopro for helmet camera/action use.

I'm looking at other cameras than action cameras to be able to shoot proper handheld footage of friends or friends shooting my riding. In addition to having manual control, less distortion and preferably lenses of my choice.

Sony RX100 Mk3 would still fit the bill sizewise and featurewise, XAVC-S and 720p 120fps, but I'd be stuck with that lens... I had big hopes for A5100 (and possibly A6000 via upgrade) unfortunately.