Blackmagic Cinema Camera shutter angles explained

Andrew Reid

[quote name='EOSHD' timestamp='1343250305' post='14503']
The only time rolling shutter has ever been a problem for me was on fast moving subway train going past the camera on the platform. If you are whipping the camera around handheld to such an extent as to evoke noticeable rolling shutter issues then just switch to a smaller chip camcorder for those shots, then back to the BMD or DSLR for the main stuff. A film with constant whip pans is not nice. It isn't really my cup of tea. I prefer locked down stuff or gentle, subtle handheld work.
[/quote]

If you just had to whip the camera around like you're catching a meteor hitting the Earth, wider lenses usually tame it back quite a bit for me. I was trying it to see how far i could go with a gritty action scene coming out of a trench with a shoulder rig. The gh2 actually did pretty good. I got some keepers.

• 4 weeks later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
[quote name='EOSHD' timestamp='1345637635' post='16200']
Nice grade sir. What are you using to grade and edit CinemaDNG?
[/quote]

I simply used ColorGHear for After Effects. AE has a RAW DNG importer - similar to the R3D importer for Red RAW.
[img]http://www.eoshd.com/comments/uploads/inline/20670/50350e6a13fd4_ScreenShot20120821at104816PM.png[/img]

• Administrators
There's ZERO advantage to using an external recorder with any DSLR, other than the D800 and even then the difference is small. It isn't raw or anything approaching that, just less compressed.

However on DSLRs the HDMI is usually compressed or interlaced, like on the GH2. You won't get better results from it than you would internally with the hack and AVCHD intra 80Mbit.