Blackmagic Cinema Camera shutter angles explained

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[img]http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/blackmagic-cinema-camera-on-show.jpg[/img]

For DSLR users thinking of moving up to the Blackmagic Cinema Camera here's a guide to the biggest differences between a DSLR and an actual cinema camera.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators
[quote name='marcuswolschon' timestamp='1343153513' post='14431']
Is 180° still 1/48s if you are not filming with 24p?
[/quote]

Nope. That is why they use angles as the standard, because they speak a common language across different video standards.

[quote name='marcuswolschon' timestamp='1343153513' post='14431']
Is 180° still 1/48s if you are not filming with 24p?
[/quote]

An 180° equals twice the frame rate in the shutter speed.

1/48 at 24fps
1/50 at 25fps
1/60 at 30 fps
These are all the same as an 180° shutter on a movie camera.

90° would be four times the frame rate, and setting the shutter speed to the same speed as the frame rate would be the same as a 360° shutter angle.

Standard is 180°, but other shutter angles can be used for effect.
In DSLRs people tend to mess with it more than in cinema cameras, to compensate for exposure, etc, but in the end that can cause problems with inconsistent motion blur between scenes, etc.

if this thing is rugged and survives a little crew abuse.
methinks some companies will be cursing it.
praying willing a sensor or system melt down.
i hate the design but the guts are looking good.
take the crap off the front put a M/43 mount on it and you have a real killer

mr jannard's gonna have to buy these suckers and shut the company down before they start moving up the sensor sizes scale. at that point steam will start pumping out of big jims face.

• Administrators
Have you seen this guy Pol on the FB comments - his version of cinematography 'basics' is so narrow. It is an important point actually. As long as people understand how a shutter speed should be used and the affect it has on the image, it doesn't matter whether you think in terms of DSLR / photography shutter speeds or cinema camera shutter angle. 1/48 and 180 degrees are the same thing! [url="https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=499503160067106&id=163597790355306"]https://www.facebook...163597790355306[/url]

"I cinematographer has to know how to expose light, nothing else". That's poppycock. A cinematographer who is merely a bag of knowledge with a tool is a operator, not an artist.

[quote name='EOSHD' timestamp='1343166560' post='14442']
Considering what they are offering the world, I think I can wait patiently and not sit there moaning like some people I've seen start doing recently. What are you, a child!?
[/quote]

No, but a it's a good sign if a company can deleiver on schedule. Conversely I don't think it portends well for the ultimate product if a company uses an early release date as "bait".

I was curious about dof like a bunch of folk. These shots look fine to me. It's supposed to be a m43 sensor anyway right? Most professional films don't look like they were shot on a full frame with a 0.95 wide open anyway... Now i can pre order the dmn thing.

This is the future. Control of the camera industry needs to be wrestled away from the Japanese electronic giants now. I don't care if the BMCC is a month late, it is going to show us (and already has) just how much the likes of Canon, Sony and Panasonic have been holding back the technology in this field.

• Administrators
I agree more competition would be healthy, to have all the major DSLR manufacturers in one country is ridiculous. I'm really surprised America and Europe don't have more of a presence in this technology field, like they do in consumer electronics with Apple, etc. It is great that Blackmagic are an Australian company. Japanese business culture is very conservative, and sometimes despite the best efforts of those amazing camera engineers, it shows!

[quote name='Germy1979' timestamp='1343174127' post='14452']
I was curious about dof like a bunch of folk. These shots look fine to me. It's supposed to be a m43 sensor anyway right? Most professional films don't look like they were shot on a full frame with a 0.95 wide open anyway... Now i can pre order the dmn thing.
[/quote]
gh2 sensor : 17.3 x 13.0 mm
BM: 15.6 x 8.8 mm (active), 16.64 x 14.04 mm(total)

a bead of sweat trickles down big jim's face.
god damn their aussie eyes.
his attractive intern stacy holds his hand and says big jim it will be ok for sure.
that sensor.
the the little sensor it will burn up in no time.
data through put will melt that plastic sucker,chill out iceman.
now how about a back rub and a dip in the hot tub.
thanks says jim.
stacy.
stacy do you really think the camera will melt..
and it will be ok..
i
i mean first the sauerkrauts with alexa now this.
what about my red flock my followers my people.
i feel rudderless.
get over hear in the tub jim.
sure.
stacy yes jim
have you seen my rubber ducky

The dissent of this camera from the so-called "established" is begining already. I was just talking to someone the other day about new cameras and I brought up the BMDCC, which was immediatley shot down with... "there's just no way a $3000 camera is going to look good". I was blown away. No thought into the technology. No thought about RAW or 12-bit color. Just "it can't look good because it's only $3000". I tried my best to explain to them that technology is technology... and the only reason that something like the Alexa sells for $70,000 is because Arri can get away with it. It was no use in the end. But seriously, there is absolutly no reason that this camera will not look as good as the Alexa in most situations. The ignorance and gulibility of these aspiring cinematographers and directors is amazing...

Oh anyways, my point is Andrew, is that you should start a poll or "top-ten" list of the new "excuses" to not use the BMDCC. ;)

My running list so far is:

-Form factor
[i]"worrying about how to hold the camera will distract from framing and lighting"[/i]... or some other bullshit that makes no sense at all.

-Size
[i]"it's too small and the crew won't take the shoot seriously" [/i]
This is the tell-tale statment of either the shittiest film-makers on the planet, or closet gear-whores. If you hear someone say this, there is a 100% chance that thier films will always be absolute garbage with no hope of ever improving. Avoid working with, contact, or even talking, with these people. Some of thier aneurysm-inducing logic may seep into you head and poison you. It's just not worth it.

-Price
"it's not expensive enought to be professional"
Many roads lead to this level of stupidity. But it is most likely is that these people have just recentley worked thier first hollywood AC job after film school and are currently undergoing "professional" indoctrination. In 2 years time, the only acceptable shooting formats to them will be 35mm film, or Arri's next offering.

-Too much dynamic range
"detailed-shadow low-contrast grades are sooo 2012... "professionals" prefer crushed blacks)
These people are the same who are now claiming that shallow-DOF is amature. Thier logic is, that whatever features afforable cameras currentley have, must not be "professional". It goes without saying, that these people experiance extrodinary cognative dissonace and pain, and (since cameras like the Alexa and Red also have high-dynamic range) thier cognative processes are constantly being interupted by logic-wrenches. These people are usually the disgruntled camera-op's on set who you'll find yelling at the PA's and production comapny for only providing 32" set monitors.

-ISO
[i]"If it doesn't go up to ISO 45,000 like the 5DIII, it isn't professional"[/i]
Just Canon fanboys. These r-tards are the ones that can actually justfity buing a C300 over a Epic. There is no logic here. Just brain-washed lemmings. The big manufacturers love these guys.

-RAW
yes, I belive that "the established" will even take stabbs at RAW with asinine statments like, "RAW is for amatures that can't expose on set" or "RAW gives you TOO many options, and confuses the "clients""

That's all I can think of for now... I'm sure there will be many more to come.

UGH! I want this camera so bad! I have to start saving up for this. It just looks so sweet. I don't care about the so called limitations or what it isn't. I like what it is. I was actually thinking about a 5D3 or D800, but this camera is just too freakin unbelievable at this price range. I don't need the FF look as much as I need the overall Image quality and filmic look of the BMCC.

I've got a feeling this thing is gonna be sick. I can't wait to see some real world images and reviews when it hits the streets. In the meantime i've got to read up on the workflow for this camera and figure out what my system will have to be like etc. Very interesting days ahead.

Some morons over at RedUser already talking shit: [url="http://reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?83028-Black-Magic-Design-Cinema-Camera-update"]http://reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?83028-Black-Magic-Design-Cinema-Camera-update[/url]

They're calling the BMCC a "toy" and that it "doesn't perform great in the field". I'm sure that's what others said about RED when they were up and coming...I can't wait to see indie films shot on the BMCC that obliterate indie films shot on RED.

[quote name='Junius' timestamp='1343201948' post='14469']
Some morons over at RedUser already talking shit: [url="http://reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?83028-Black-Magic-Design-Cinema-Camera-update"]http://reduser.net/f...a-Camera-update[/url]
[/quote]

The thread on RedUser seemed quite reasonable to me. Very reasonable by RedUser standards. Largely positive comments, actually.

The screen grab does look to be noisy, though, and that worries me a bit. However, with raw or a high bitrate codec the noise should at least be organic.