Anamorphic GH2 and CS6 (or 5.5) workflow settings

wilco73

Hi

I just started with experimenting on anamorphic shots. :ph34r: I have the book from Andrew which is real good info but i am hoping that somebody can help me through a few steps here.
I am using the GH2 and Vanilla patch. Shooting on MJpeg mode for the anamorphic use. (Use VGA, HD, ?)
Do i use the 4:3? I shoot 2x anamorphic.
I am not able to see the result on the GH2 screen do i? Have a SmallHD coming in tomorrow so i hope to solve this problem.
Than i start up CS5.5 or 6 and and hoping that somebody can explain me step by step what the best workflow is or share some experience.... Would be grateful! :D

Thank you in advanced.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

personally I like to set my project up with a frame size of 1080 tall, and with the width stretched from 1920 to whatever my final unsqueezed image will be. So for a 1.33x squeeze anamorphic lens I multiply my 1920pixel width by 1.33 and end up with around 2553pixels. granted you cannot export a h264 compressed file bigger than 2000px wide, but you can export uncompressed Mov's at full 1080x2553px if you have the means to play it back. exporting at 1920x1080p means you end up with black bars at the top and bottom meaning your added pixels are resized down to fit the smaller export frame meaning your height is divided by 1.33 (800px or so) but this is quite nice because it ends up sharper than your preview window.

Importing the footage into premiere I then right click each clip in the preview window and chose modify. you can then apply a stretch to the clip before importing it into your timeline - freeing up processor power because the footage is not not having to be stretched in realtime.

4:3 will be better than 16:9 with the 2x anamorphic adaptor. - as long as it uses most of the sensor and doesnt crop. the 2x de squeeze will then be closer to 2.40:1 than if you used 16:9 sensor mode. Even in 4:3 mode I would probably crop away a little of your edges to get the footage less wide. 2x on a 16:9 sensor is silly wide, and even on 4:3 it looks too wide for me. Dont get too concerned about loosing visual information on the sides - your GH2 is very detailed so will not suffer as much as if it were to be done on a lesser camera:)

• 2 years later...