Panasonic GH2 vs. Canon 550D: wtf?

PatrickV

Hi guys,

My father bought a Canon 550D yesterday and today i'm doing some tests with it.
I made the same shots with my own camera, a GH2, and guess what. I almost see no difference!

[url="https://vimeo.com/45966612"]https://vimeo.com/45966612[/url]

This is the setup:

[b]Panasonic GH2[/b]
Lumix 14-140mm lens
Vanilla 44MB hack

[b]Canon 550D[/b]
EFS 18-55mm lens

Both on full automatic. No color grading.

This can't be true, right?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators
Patrick I'll be blunt, please don't take this personally. It is your test shoot that is heavily flawed not the camera.

It looks like your method / compression in post for the GH2's footage is not optimal or it is shot interlaced. It is very soft especially in the garden at 35 seconds in. Your first GH2 shot is way over exposed. If you're on full automatic it should be easy to get proper exposure. But intelligent auto mode is not the right way to shoot video. You need to enable Creative Movie Mode and shoot 24p (not 1080i) with manual control of ISO, etc. The lens you are using is F4-F5.6 at best and that isn't giving you a very shallow depth of field. It isn't as sharp as a prime because it is a zoom. Use a fast prime like the Olympus 45mm F1.8 or Lumix 20mm F1.7 and preferably the same lens on both cameras. Focus manually at the same point on each cameras to do a valid comparison. In some shots your focus is at difference places so hard to compare resolution. Your Vimeo clip streams at 720p, not full HD so this completely masks the GH2's resolution advantage and introduces moire to the GH2 footage. I downloaded your 1080p clip and there's moire only on the 550D footage at 38 seconds on the garden paving stones.

I recommend not doing any more tests and just going out to shoot with the GH2 and getting to grips with it.

https://vimeo.com/45535389

I shot the daytime scenes with the T2i. Magic Lantern CBR 3.0 on a Sandisk Extreme Pro card. cinestyle profile.

The Night shots / fireworks were all a GH2 with sedna aq1. Smooth -2 -2 -2 -2.

Both of them I used a Nikon 85mm f2.

The gh2 has killer banding in the lights even with 5d to rgb. This could be my fault though as i found out later to switch the render in AE to "trillions of colors" instead of millions.

Between the 2, i like them both. Canon's are a little warmer and softer and I liked that for the daytime stuff. Especially around sunset. It might've even done better in the nighttime footage as well.

Can't deny the GH2 on detail though. I can see the pores in the close ups with it.

[quote name='PatrickV' timestamp='1342622261' post='14083']
Can jou?
[/quote]

Yup. And like Andrew said, leaving either camera on auto won't yield the best results out of either camera, for comparison or otherwise. I've shot on both the T2i and have a pair of GH2s, and long ago demoted the T2i to just stills. In the right hands, I've seen the lower end Canon cameras produce good results for the web, but the GH2 simply resolves detail better.

[quote name='EOSHD' timestamp='1342625097' post='14090']
This is my test. 600D vs GH2

[media]http://vimeo.com/22318115[/media]

Be sure to download the original.
[/quote]

the difference is quite amazing. it looks like the pixels on the gh2 are 1/3 the size of those on the 600d. and to make it worse the 600d footage looks like someone took the footage and has applied a 0.5 pixel gaussian blur amking each pixel bleed into one another.

Thanks for your posts, lads. I knew my test wasn't really fair and straight, but it surprised me. Normally i record on 25p HBR mode. In Sony Vegas i choose for 'match media settings' in the project settings and i render as 25p progressive. This is correct, right?

I think i need another lens besides my 14-140mm. Which will suit me best? Samyang 35mm F1.4, SLR Magic 12mm F1.6 or the Olympus 45mm F1.8?

[quote name='PatrickV' timestamp='1342639427' post='14107']
I think i need another lens besides my 14-140mm. Which will suit me best? Samyang 35mm F1.4, SLR Magic 12mm F1.6 or the Olympus 45mm F1.8?
[/quote]

Goes without saying it depends on your needs, but as an owner of the SLR Magic 12mm f1.6, I'd say it's a great value for a fast manual wide. I really enjoy that lens. Lately my 14-140mm (and 20mm and 14mm pancakes) have been staying at home as I've been using old non-ai Nikon glass (28mm f2.8 and 50mm f1.8) along with the 12mm for most of my work.

[quote name='PatrickV' timestamp='1342618785' post='14080']
Hi guys,

My father bought a Canon 550D yesterday and today i'm doing some tests with it.
I made the same shots with my own camera, a GH2, and guess what. I almost see no difference!

[url="https://vimeo.com/45966612"]https://vimeo.com/45966612[/url]

This is the setup:

[b]Panasonic GH2[/b]
Lumix 14-140mm lens
Vanilla 44MB hack

[b]Canon 550D[/b]
EFS 18-55mm lens

Both on full automatic. No color grading.

This can't be true, right?
[/quote]

I have done A/B tests with my Canon 550d and GH2 and the GH2 is hand downs way better than the Canon in image quailty

Pentax 40mm pancake lens on GH2 ,
Pentax 50mm on Canon 550d both at f8 - 11 range and both Cameras now have an equivilant 35mm focal lengh of 80mm

200 iso
50 sec
standard picture profile on both
1080 p on both cameras

The Canon is soft next to a Gh2 , the image is not as detailed and sharp

Nuff said!