Shootout: Radiant Images Camera Evaluation 2015

Emanuel

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I was wondering about that too but I could not find any info of the settings used.. 

Where did you find it?

I can tell by looking at the video. It's not CINE1, CINE2, or Slog2. Would guess CINE3 or Off (never use those since they look so bad).

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

A7s It looks ''off'' to me, which in fact, I find gives me the most pleasing Canon-like colouurs/gamma of any PP. Strange that nobody likes it around.

FS7 is also set to something other than S-LOG. Discard these two cameras from the test.

On the video, okay it's an excruciatingly long, repetitive, boring test that took SO much effort from their part yet sadly ended up like this, an HOUR of sequences. 

If anyone one will watch skip to the small comparison at the end and save an hour.

The dynamic range and highlight rolloff: many cameras seem to have caught up with the alexa, f65, F55, c300II, Varicam 35 all have pretty similar gorgeous highlight capture, while the weapon is ever so slightly harsher, then URSA just bad, then C500 simply aweful, so Canon seems to have given highlight roll off a lot of attention, jumping from awful to alexa with the C300ii, also there's an enormous colour science and aesthetic difference between the C500 and C300 colours/gamma, the C300 is standard, and loses that ''Canon signature''. 

The varicam is so gorgeous, the subtle skin, colours, roll off, ISO performance, the favourite and most filmic to me

I haven't seen any real additional info as to the camera profiles used, iso, internal vs external, 1080p vs 4k, etc., either. So maybe JCS's conjecture is based on his experience. I would concur that it seems obvious that Slog2 for the a7s is not being shown here. I find it odd however that they tested the A7rii in what appears to possibly be Slog2 in look, but they decided not to include it in the final comparison at the end and showed the non log a7s footage..... not sure what purpose that would serve really in this case, when testing limits of dynamic range capabilities among the available cameras. It does seem a lot of effort was put into creating this comparison, so thank you for sharing the footage.

Maybe they will update and add some more info here on their blog post at some point:

http://www.radiantimages.com/blog/1028-radiant-images-updates-its-comprehensive-camera-comparison-and-evaluation-tool-valued-by-cinematographers

This was a good idea, but I wish it could have been shorter by having a faster camera move.  And get rid of those anoying smiley bits in the middle.  I ended up turning off hd because of the masive amounts of data and skipping through.  I wish I'd just watched the last 2 minutes.  The a7s cant cave been set to slog wich is a shame because that is one of the cameras I would be most interested in seeing tested fairly.