I was finally giving up on buying 5D in Sep 2015 but then I saw this.... (hint, it's RAW...)

satoshi

5D3 Raw is not that difficult to work with at all today.  There is only 1 step (MLV conversion) ahead of it's RAW workflow and it's easy.  Now that you have Davinchi 12 out and MLRAW viewer,SlimRAW, or Rawmagic it's so easy.  Also with Lossless Compressed cinemadng RAW files you save a ton of hd space.  Every time i get footage from it I love it.  Just don't use it for shooting events or long continuous recordings.  

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Mainly Sensor size, noise performance, and to a degree dynamic range. It is a better chip and a better signal vs the GH4 overal when you look at both, but the gh4 has it's many advantages like usability, ergonomics, unlimited recording time, m43s mount (Speedboosters), codec support, all irrelevant to IQ but relevant to the system.

Sensor size is a wash if you take into account Speed Boosters, noise performance is almost identical (good up to 800, getting ropey at 1600, wouldn't want to use 3200), and several tests show the two cameras having either identical dynamic range or slightly more on the GH4. You also left out that the GH4 has better compression, 10-bit HDMI out, and way less rolling shutter. Stills are a different story, but I'd take the GH4 over the NX1 for video any day.

Sensor size is a wash if you take into account Speed Boosters, noise performance is almost identical (good up to 800, getting ropey at 1600, wouldn't want to use 3200), and several tests show the two cameras having either identical dynamic range or slightly more on the GH4. You also left out that the GH4 has better compression, 10-bit HDMI out, and way less rolling shutter. Stills are a different story, but I'd take the GH4 over the NX1 for video any day.

But when we take photo shooting to equation 5d wins it seems, It really feel bad buying 3 year old camera - but it's seems the best for photo video combination.

I want to love a7s, but skintones look like zombies... 

But when we take photo shooting to equation 5d wins it seems, It really feel bad buying 3 year old camera - but it's seems the best for photo video combination.

I want to love a7s, but skintones look like zombies... 

Oh, I was just talking NX1 vs GH4. Although if you're not a big low-light shooter, there's less difference than you'd think. http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-III-versus-Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-GH4___795_943

I haven't shot 5D RAW, but I've just started with RAW on the BMPCC and it's in a whole other league to H.264 footage. If you can handle the workflow (the 5D requires one more step than BM's CinemaDNG iirc) and you appreciate the look, then go for it and never look back.

The pain with 5D3 raw is the insane file size, which is over 5 GB/min. Comparing with say NX1 (1080p at highest quality), for a 1 minute of 5D3 RAW video, we get 42 minutes of NX1 vide!!! I.e., for a 2 hour video we're looking at over 600 GB worth of SD cards and disk space for 5D3 RAW vs. less than 15 GB for NX1. And I'm not even talking about major features like 4K or EVF.

If you feel like a 42-to-1 savings in SD cards and disk space is no big deal or that things like 4K and EVF are overrated, I don't have much else to say.

The pain with 5D3 raw is the insane file size, which is over 5 GB/min. Comparing with say NX1 (1080p at highest quality), for a 1 minute of 5D3 RAW video, we get 42 minutes of NX1 vide!!! I.e., for a 2 hour video we're looking at over 600 GB worth of SD cards and disk space for 5D3 RAW vs. less than 15 GB for NX1. And I'm not even talking about major features like 4K or EVF.

If you feel like a 42-to-1 savings in SD cards and disk space is no big deal or that things like 4K and EVF are overrated, I don't have much else to say.

I think that the big problem is with clients. If you show up with NX1 or A7s - it does't look profesional at all. After all only 5D is really a pro camera from all of them. 

Right now I'm thinking that 5d with a set of old nikkor lenses and slr anamarphic adapter 1.33 is a way to go. I still have a week or two before buying. Decisions, decisions.... 

If someone wants I've found awesome list of canon FD and old nikon lenses with one sentence reviews... 

I think that the big problem is with clients. If you show up with NX1 or A7s - it does't look profesional at all. After all only 5D is really a pro camera from all of them. 

I find if I show up with lights, a pro-looking set of lenses, a rig, and a mattebox, they don't look twice at the name on my camera--especially once they see the final product. YMMV.

Right now I'm thinking that 5d with a set of old nikkor lenses and slr anamarphic adapter 1.33 is a way to go. I still have a week or two before buying. Decisions, decisions.... 

You could also look at a set of Contax Zeiss glass. If you're okay with f/2 or 2.8 lenses, you can pick up a basic set fairly inexpensively. The thing to watch out for with Nikon glass is that the focus rings turn the opposite direction of every other lens manufacturer. It makes it hard to develop muscle memory if you ever use anything else, and, personally, drives me bananas. 

If someone wants I've found awesome list of canon FD and old nikon lenses with one sentence reviews... 

The ones on the Personal-View FAQs? I found those pretty helpful. The Minola Rokkor and Contax Zeiss Survival Guides are also worth looking at if you want the lay of the land.

I also have been interested with trying ML Raw. I have an eos-m I may load it on. Obviously the 5D has the 1080 Raw and there is some great looking footage out there for it. You also cannot go wrong with old Nikkors. I have a set of non-ai Nikkors and they are some great lenses. I also have a set of FD lenses I may sell. I have the 50mm 1.4, the 28mm f2, the 17mm f4 and the 35-70 f3.5 zoom. Amazing lenses, I hate to get rid of them, but I may need some extra cash. 

The thing to watch out for with Nikon glass is that the focus rings turn the opposite direction of every other lens manufacturer. It makes it hard to develop muscle memory if you ever use anything else, and, personally, drives me bananas. 

this!!! The one and only reasson I don`t own a Nikon camera. Only once I did a shoot with one and after one hour of going crazy I was fortunate enough to have a follow focus with reversable gear on set.

So it seems that the 5d is still the way to go in this price range, especially if I want to shoot fotos. Btw, do you guys know if it's possible to record audio with raw video ? From external line in ? Also external monitors via HDMI are working fine ? 

Don't know about the 5DMkIII, but via Magic Lantern on my 5DMkII RAW video and sound recording works good.

You *NEED* a FAST card, I use a Lexar 1066X, works good.

thats awesome hmcindle that clip looks official. how did you find the reliability of ml on set? any issues to be aware of? assuming its not april fools day that is lol

Reliability was good, a couple of crashes but nothing mayor. Need a good offline system so you can offload the cards fast and several really fast cards. One 128gb card gives you only a bit over 20minutes so be prepared. Its basically like bm raw except without SSD storage. The playback is shitty so watch out for that. Working on a third Raw shot short now, with a couple of a7s and rx10 ii shots mixed in.

These videos are all good, but why on earth would you go for an old HD camera like 5D3 and a cumbersome raw workflow today for video when you have other better, less expensive, and more future proof options, like the NX1 already mentioned? 5D3 is still awesome as a still photography tool, especially for sports and PJ, but as a video camera it is no longer current.

Because the people who use it have it and have never used anything else, so they don't know what the modern cameras can do.

It is sort of like someone out driving an old model T who still swears by its virtues. But for the rest of us it is just a really old car that saw its day a long time ago. For someone new coming along, the recommendation to buy the model T by these folks is just plain bad advice :)

Impressive 5dmk3 ML raw footage-Clip from Colby Moore.
There are a lot of Talks probably interesting for you...

Color and quality looks like film shot in the 60s. Don't like that retro stuff.

You prefer the look of the Samsung NX1 to film shot in the 60s?!  So are we to understand you like fried baloney over filet mignon?

The thing the 5D MKIII does well is you can make it look any way you want.  As long as you expose reasonably you can go nuts in post.  I would like to see someone do that with an NX1.  If you can't shoot a 5D MKIII in 2015 and blow NX1 users out of the water... It's not the camera that sucks.

I don't like the cost of even a used 5D MKIII.  I don't like the fact you have to hack it.  I don't like it is missing a lot of simple video shooting conveniences.  But complaining about the image?!  Wow.  That's a new one on me.

You prefer the look of the Samsung NX1 to film shot in the 60s?!  So are we to understand you like fried baloney over filet mignon?

The thing the 5D MKIII does well is you can make it look any way you want.  As long as you expose reasonably you can go nuts in post.  I would like to see someone do that with an NX1.  If you can't shoot a 5D MKIII in 2015 and blow NX1 users out of the water... It's not the camera that sucks.

I don't like the cost of even a used 5D MKIII.  I don't like the fact you have to hack it.  I don't like it is missing a lot of simple video shooting conveniences.  But complaining about the image?!  Wow.  That's a new one on me.

Hey, this (and pretty much all videos with 5D3 RAW that I've seen) are good, but it's a bit juvenile to attack someone because they don't like a look...who are you to judge someone for a personal opionion? And to trash NX1 with comments like 5D3 blows NX1 "out of the water" is out of place in a forum with informed people like EOSHD.

Because the people who use it have it and have never used anything else, so they don't know what the modern cameras can do.

It is sort of like someone out driving an old model T who still swears by its virtues. But for the rest of us it is just a really old car that saw its day a long time ago. For someone new coming along, the recommendation to buy the model T by these folks is just plain bad advice :)

:)
Look at stills from 2014 feature films...
- it seems that the most directors and cinematographers don´t realized what a modern camera can do:)

http://film-grab.com/category/2014/
- nice site by the way.

Bildschirmfoto_2015-09-27_um_23.11.52.th

• Super Members

Hey, this (and pretty much all videos with 5D3 RAW that I've seen) are good, but it's a bit juvenile to attack someone because they don't like a look...who are you to judge someone for a personal opionion? And to trash NX1 with comments like 5D3 blows NX1 "out of the water" is out of place in a forum with informed people like EOSHD.

In most cases I would agree. But in my opinion this instance is a bit of a "what goes around comes around" type of moment.

My post was a provoked off the cuff reaction.  ALL these cameras are good.  They are different, but they are good.  I use the tiny sensor BMPCC but boy do I love the latitude raw and even 10 bit prores give me.  I looked at the NX1 and it is missing that important feature.  The 5D MK III has it.  So when someone comes in and says the 5D MK III is rubbish I'm dumbstruck.  It's amazing how we asked for raw or at least on board 10 bit 4:2:2 and most manufacturers ignored us and gave us... 4k!  These things are not interchangeable.  Don't get me wrong.  I like 4k.  But if someone could give me really good 1080p in a robust codec I would be happy.  4K is not the end all be all.  It's nice and desirable but not a substitute for raw.