I was finally giving up on buying 5D in Sep 2015 but then I saw this.... (hint, it's RAW...)

satoshi

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Well, the workflow is not bad if you ask me...compared to other raw cameras is just one step more. It's the file sizes and what you want to use it for. It's fine if you shoot a cat or some plant, but you will not be shooting a weding, a non acted documentary... for raw it's probably the best budget camera out there, and a very capable 1080p h.264 camera. I prefer it to a gh4 except for the slow motion.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

5DIII is still the best image out there and has the most video features (short of an articulating LCD).

Just see if you can work with a raw workflow. It's ideal for scripted/controlled environments

if you need to shoot an event, documentary, wedding, etc a camera like a GH4 will record continuously and get great results with tiny files, just easier and faster.

5D3 is still an amazing camera, with or without RAW.

For Video i'd recommend the NX1 instead of the GH4 though, much better image, cleaner, and now that Premiere will support h265 native, the workflow will become much simpler.

Apologise for noobish question but how is NX1 better in image quality to GH4 ? 

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Apologise for noobish question but how is NX1 better in image quality to GH4 ? 

Mainly Sensor size, noise performance, and to a degree dynamic range. It is a better chip and a better signal vs the GH4 overal when you look at both, but the gh4 has it's many advantages like usability, ergonomics, unlimited recording time, m43s mount (Speedboosters), codec support, all irrelevant to IQ but relevant to the system.

Mainly Sensor size, noise performance, and to a degree dynamic range. It is a better chip and a better signal vs the GH4 overal when you look at both, but the gh4 has it's many advantages like usability, ergonomics, unlimited recording time, m43s mount (Speedboosters), codec support, all irrelevant to IQ but relevant to the system.

Basically this.

The Nx1 without a doubt the best IQ out there unless you go for an FS7 / 1DC and higher range cameras, it is trully outstanding. I too was set out to buy a GH4+metabones for over a year, but then I discovered the NX1 and read a bit more about it, ended up getting the NX1 and am currently editting my first official job with it, so far Im very very impressed. Its incredibly versatile, you can make it look cinematic or video'ish

Hey Satoshi. yes, it´s possible to record audio - with so-called MLV file recording...
External monitors via HDMI should working fine (I only have the 5dmk2 - there it works).

I think, filming in ML RAW is only recommended when you shoot little and selected. 
In that case it is great fun with great results - for an affordable price!

Here some 5d raw groups on vimeo:
https://vimeo.com/groups/192251
https://vimeo.com/groups/192344
https://vimeo.com/groups/raw

These are some of the better videos I've seen shot in Magic Lantern raw. Seems quite worth it, if you’re willing to work with the file sizes. Then again, there are great raw compressors available out there now (sorry, the software name escapes me), so even that shouldn't be as big of a problem as before.

ML Raw Compression Ratios (5D Mark III; 1080P)

10-second clip

• Original MLV: 872MB
  • RawMagic Compressed CDNG: 466MB (47% reduction)
  • Davinci Resolve ProRes4444XQ: 479.2MB (45% reduction)
  • Davinci Resolve ProRes4444: 316.4MB (64% reduction)
  • Davinci Resolve ProResHQ: 222.9MB (74% reduction)
  • Davinci Resolve ProRes422: 92.2MB (91% reduction)

ML Raw Compression Ratios (5D Mark III; 1080P)

10-second clip

• Original MLV: 872MB
  • RawMagic Compressed CDNG: 466MB (47% reduction)
  • Davinci Resolve ProRes4444XQ: 479.2MB (45% reduction)
  • Davinci Resolve ProRes4444: 316.4MB (64% reduction)
  • Davinci Resolve ProResHQ: 222.9MB (74% reduction)
  • Davinci Resolve ProRes422: 92.2MB (91% reduction)

Great info! Thank you! 

Oh, guys, really so torn between 5d mk3, gh4 and a7s. I want to shoot a youtube series mainly with slr magic anamorphic lens 1,3. 

5d mk3 raw is so juicy and I want to make fotos too. A7s has wonderful low light and full frame sensor - but the ergonomics are horrendous, and only 8bit even with shogun. GH4 is half the price of mark 3 and does everythink well, but it loos like video :( 

I stayed up untill 4am doing reaserch and still I dont know what to do....

These videos are all good, but why on earth would you go for an old HD camera like 5D3 and a cumbersome raw workflow today for video when you have other better, less expensive, and more future proof options, like the NX1 already mentioned? 5D3 is still awesome as a still photography tool, especially for sports and PJ, but as a video camera it is no longer current.

for me color trumps everything, and the DEEP rich color from 5d3 raw is unparalleled; ive never seen video from ANY camera that matches it in that regard – naturalistic yet amazingly beautiful

Thanks, yes, in an actual bar!

thats awesome hmcindle that clip looks official. how did you find the reliability of ml on set? any issues to be aware of? assuming its not april fools day that is lol