C100 Mkii - Resolution and Image Quality - How to Get the Best Out of It?

User

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hi Paul, good to hear from you. Have you been able to try another version of the same lens?

I myself can't exactly see a use for continuous right now but really appreciate one shot auto focus.

Can anyone else weigh in here?

Continuous Dual Pixel AF is alot different than the normal continuous AF's. It's way more smooth and has human like focus pulling. It's not great when someone is running at you but other than that it is solid.

In tests I've seen the image quality is indiscernible. 

Thanks Kubrician. This fits with my research as well. If this is the case, then I wonder if it would be best to leave it in MP4 as it means one less menu function to enable for 60p seeing as the camera needs to be in MP4 to shoot 60p. Also, Is the 60p assignable? I'm betting it's not and that the camera has to re-boot into 60p from the menu. Correct?

I also hear something about AVCHD taking advantage of Dolby sound. Correct? Not that I know if that would make any difference to my project.

Thanks Kubrician. This fits with my research as well. If this is the case, then I wonder if it would be best to leave it in MP4 as it means one less menu function to enable for 60p seeing as the camera needs to be in MP4 to shoot 60p. Also, Is the 60p assignable? I'm betting it's not and that the camera has to re-boot into 60p from the menu. Correct?
I also hear something about AVCHD taking advantage of Dolby sound. Correct? Not that I know if that would make any difference to my project.

35 is only available at 60p ....

Bob

- "I've found C-Log to be pretty noisy in low-light. Wide DR seems a lot cleaner to me, at high ISOs."

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

My guess is he's underexposing the c-log - I shot a few things with Wide DR and I didn't like it. I noticed more banding and artifacts. 

My guess is he's underexposing the c-log - I shot a few things with Wide DR and I didn't like it. I noticed more banding and artifacts. 

Kubrickian, what is the best way to to expose for c-log in low light? Over expose? How many stops? things to keep in mind?

In the next days I'm going to hit the ground running under difficult circumstances and with little or no online support until I get my housing and net sorted. If you could impart any real world tips to make this light box sing, I would be most grateful.

Canon recommends exposing middle grey in c-log at something like 35%, but this camera benefits from ETTR. The image will be cleaner and nicer for sure. Don't be afraid to crank the ISO and do a little denoising in post. I would aim for caucasian skin tones to be at 50-60% on the waveform. 

If I have to shoot in very low light I just grab the sigma 18-35. All the reception scenes in this wedding video (towards the end) were shot with that at 1.8 and around 2500 ISO. To my eye it was way darker in there than it looks in the footage. https://vimeo.com/124542801

Yes C - Log raises the blacks ... and if you have underexposed the noise will be more prominent.

However when you grade with a decent S curve a lot of that should disappear ... unless you are 

using the forever prominent milk filter.....

C100 and Mk II have a fabulous low noise high iso sensor ... if you underexpose and have to raise the exposure in post 

you get noise ... but it is not objectionable and most describe it as film like ... since I always shot ISO 25 emulsions I

am not sure that I get it....:)

This camera is great in low light ... and better in good light or lit environs.

Everyone has issues with cameras these days ... a bit more technique and the majority of them 

would be non-issues.

Bob

Kubrickian, do you have a middle grey value that you would use to expose for non caucasians? South Asians? Africans?

The sigma/ c100 combo really shines in those low light scenes you shot. Nice capture by the way. However, seeing as I'm viewing all of this material on Vimeo/ Youtube it really is hard to know what the camera is actually rendering? Does anyone know where I can download some uncompressed C100 MkII footage so as to have a look at it on the big monitor and get a better sense of it?

And Bob, this ties in with what you said about applying an s-curve. What really become very apparent to me over the last weeks in my research is just how ugly the 'buzzing' in the shadows can be in some clips folks post of their material from various cameras. I can imagine this noise is amplified by the Vimeo/ Youtube compression. Correct? Is this also partly caused by cameras with low bit codecs that don't survive the Vimeo's/Youtube's extra compression? Because if it is, I'm still seeing this 'buzzing' (compression artifacts) from much higher end cameras as well.

Can anyone weight in?

• 11 months later...
On 05 ottobre 2015 at 9:34 PM, AaronChicago said:

For documentaries it's perfect. I'm still on the fence whether or not it's a good commercial, short, music video camera.

Dear Aaron, 
after I tried Andrew's EOSHD C-Log I fell in love with Canon's colors. 

I use 99% of the time the Panasonic GH4 and G7, sometimes the Blackmagic Micro.
I was thinking to buy a Canon (selling the GH4): do you think C100 MkII is more filmic then 7D MkII or 5D MkIII?

Is it sharp enough? High ISO are good like on the 5DMkIII? 
Is the 35 mbps codec strong enough for color correction? If yes I could sell also the Micro Cinema in order to buy it :) 

Thank you!

• 2 years later...

A reference for anyone looking sharpness and clarity.  C100 MKII 4K upscale filmed at 60fps exported to 24fps in davinchi resolve. EOS Standard Profile with the Canon 70-200mm f2.8 II  I was quite surprised at how good the footage turned out.  Very action cinematic to me.  It looks even better when in slowmo.