C100 Mkii - Resolution and Image Quality - How to Get the Best Out of It?

User

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Documentaries, commercials and short films. And ideally want to get into music videos eventually.

For documentaries it's perfect. I'm still on the fence whether or not it's a good commercial, short, music video camera. The big pro's of the C100ii are Dual Pixel AF (great for situations where you're needing the shot nailed in real time, and not rehearsed), ease of use, extremely long battery life, great audio controls, and small but robust file sizes (for long recordings).

The con's are that it's 8 bit 4:2:0 and mediocre DR for it's price. The image is solid, but not the best in that price range.

I'd keep an eye out on the Ursa Mini when they release some footage. I think it'll be ideal for shorts, music videos, commercials.

The con's are that it's 8 bit 4:2:0 and mediocre DR for it's price. The image is solid, but not the best in that price range.

What's the DR mediocre in comparison to though? I have seen tests between it and various cameras like the BMPCC, A7S and FS7 - all of which have claimed more than the 12 stops that the c100 apparently has and none have seemed to top it really. 

Would absolutely love the Ursa Mini 4.6k but atm the feature set of the c100 suits me more, not to mention the cost of media. I'm not convinced it will drop in price very significantly for a few years either. I mean look at SSD's. They've been around for a while now, with the market growing exponentially but the cost is still falling at a slug's pace. 

What's the DR mediocre in comparison to though? I have seen tests between it and various cameras like the BMPCC, A7S and FS7 - all of which have claimed more than the 12 stops that the c100 apparently has and none have seemed to top it really. 

Would absolutely love the Ursa Mini 4.6k but atm the feature set of the c100 suits me more, not to mention the cost of media. I'm not convinced it will drop in price very significantly for a few years either. I mean look at SSD's. They've been around for a while now, with the market growing exponentially but the cost is still falling at a slug's pace. 

I'd say it's in the GH4/BMCC range of DR, maybe showing more in the shadows and less in the highlights. Yeah CFast 2.0 cards are crazy right now.

Hi Aaron, quick question. Does the dual pixel auto focus work well on non L lenses? Does it work well on all lenses? Thanks.

It works on any of the Canon lenses as far as I know. I use it with the 17-55 which isn't L.

I doubt it but, can the C100 Mkii 3.5mm mini jack supply phantom power to a mic?

No but I use this with a xlr to 3.5 mini jack cable ... dead quiet but runs through 9 volt batteries if you do not

have an external power supply.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/403002-REG/Denecke_PS_1A_PS_1A_Portable_Single.html

They also make a dual version.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/406897-REG/Denecke_PS_2_PS_2_Portable_Dual.html/prm/alsVwDtl

Bob

Nice one Bob. 128 bucks to get my Sennheiser 416 running. Sometimes I think that I should have gone with the ME66.

Also, I sometimes find the 416 a little too directional, especially if I don't frame the subject so that the mic nails them. Hypercardioid could be my next word of the day.

Thanks again Bob. Nice mics.

I hear you on the bargain aspect except I'm putting a whole kit together, in Europe and getting killed on the exchange rate in the currency I'm using.

Do you have a a photo of your camera with your set up? Would be good to see how you've mounted things without the handle. I want to lose it as well.

Nice set up. Serious head you got there. I'm moving towards the FSB 8. Even with the exchange rate, it's a good deal in Germany. I have the same Gitzo Legs.

I'm curious, do you use the WC top plate and arm because the Canon one is shite? Or you want better stealth? What I'd like is less height and to include a mic I would want to get a top plate and then mount a shock mount mic holder to the side of it over top of the hand grip like seen here:

IMG_0680-450x600.jpg

Notice the hole in the handle ... allows a 15mm rod to add any thing you want off the side ... I recently added the Zacuto 

mount and a Pro EVF at a discount ... but your rig should mount easily. Canon's top plate is OK ...the WC adds all sorts

of mounting options and it is rigid rigid rigid... did I say rigid.

I had a FSB 6 ... worked well but this is a different level ... so the FSB 8 should be perfect for this light of a camera and rig.

I went from a FSB 6 to a Sachtler Ace M to this ... and am still learning how to pan without distortion.

Bob

Got it. Than you.

I hear you on panning, there is a formula that equals success. Can't remember it exactly... 30% of something I can't really remember anymore.

Actually, I was thinking of going with the the FSB 6 because it's several hundred euro cheaper and half a pound lighter as well. Also I'm not sure that I'll really build a rig much over 13.5 pounds for what I'm doing. Do you really think that the FSB 8 will somehow be a better match for the C100 Mkii with little or no extras?

On a the doc side of things, met these directors last year, solid work:

Alrighty lights out here... more to follow I'm sure. Thanks again for your insights Bob...

I plumped for the C100 MK2 a few months back. Love it. It is so easy to use and the image really does look nice. Yeah, it's not 4K but at this time and the clients I work for (weddings, events, conferences and web videos for businesses) who cares. I replaced my GH4 with it, no regrets at all. I can just pick up this camera and away you go, long battery life and due to the codec sizes a 64GB card can last me all day at a wedding.

Lens wise, I have the Sigma 18-35mm (great lens), Sigma 24-105 and the Canon EF-S 18-135. I do find the Canon lens slightly softer but it works a treat with the Dual AF system and Face autodetect.

I generally shoot in Wide DR, would anyone have any good picture profiles they'd recommend. For things like weddings, I prefer as near as possible out of the camera.

I've still to actually try C-LOG properly!

I plumped for the C100 MK2 a few months back. Love it. It is so easy to use and the image really does look nice. Yeah, it's not 4K but at this time and the clients I work for (weddings, events, conferences and web videos for businesses) who cares. I replaced my GH4 with it, no regrets at all. I can just pick up this camera and away you go, long battery life and due to the codec sizes a 64GB card can last me all day at a wedding.

Lens wise, I have the Sigma 18-35mm (great lens), Sigma 24-105 and the Canon EF-S 18-135. I do find the Canon lens slightly softer but it works a treat with the Dual AF system and Face autodetect.

I generally shoot in Wide DR, would anyone have any good picture profiles they'd recommend. For things like weddings, I prefer as near as possible out of the camera.

I've still to actually try C-LOG properly!

How does the dual AF work with the sigma lenses? Is it smooth and quiet?

How does the dual AF work with the sigma lenses? Is it smooth and quiet?

It works well with the 24-105, but I'm struggling to get it working with the 18-35 correctly. I have updted the firmware on the lenses and it seems to work ok with the continous focus option, but not well with the one shot focus option.

It works well with the 24-105, but I'm struggling to get it working with the 18-35 correctly. I have updted the firmware on the lenses and it seems to work ok with the continous focus option, but not well with the one shot focus option.

Hi Paul, good to hear from you. Have you been able to try another version of the same lens?

I myself can't exactly see a use for continuous right now but really appreciate one shot auto focus.

Can anyone else weigh in here?