C100 Mkii - Resolution and Image Quality - How to Get the Best Out of It?

User

Regarding lenses for the C100 Mkii, I need a wide angle. I've been considering these:

Sigma 18-35mm f1.8

Canon 16-35mm f4 IS

Seeing as the camera itself is heavier than the dslr/ mirrorless stuff, I'm not so concerned about handheld micro-jitter, although I do understand the benefits of IS.

Looking DXO scores, the two lenses are not that much different 'overall' with the Canon performing a little sharper.

Just wondering is anyone has anything to say about these two lenses, you preferences, or other wide zooms?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Regarding lenses for the C100 Mkii, I need a wide angle. I've been considering these:

Sigma 18-35mm f1.8

Canon 16-35mm f4 IS

Seeing as the camera itself is heavier than the dslr/ mirrorless stuff, I'm not so concerned about handheld micro-jitter, although I do understand the benefits of IS.

Looking DXO scores, the two lenses are not that much different 'overall' with the Canon performing a little sharper.

Just wondering is anyone has anything to say about these two lenses, you preferences, or other wide zooms?

The Sigma is awesome, but if I had to recommend one lens for the C100 it would be the Canon 17-55 f2.8. It's an all around great lens with IS, wide angle, and zoom.

Thank you Aaron.

Yes the the extra reach in the 17-55 would come in useful for sure. I guess I just sort of always heard that this lens was a mediocre option, although having never used it I can't say. Also, I'm thinking that since the 16-35 f4 is pretty new a lot of folks have never used it either. Most owners seem to love the Sigma though.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Each one has a party trick.

Sigma 18-35mm is f/1.8,

the Canon 16-35mm is IS,

the Canon 17-55m is the middle ground with f/2.8 and IS.

I'd personally take the 17-55mm with the C100 just because it does everything, wide, tele, lowlight and image stabilization. The only down side is that it's mechanically lower quality than the 16-35mm L, not bad at all but not L roughness.

For me f/4 is a deal breaker and no IS is a deal breaker, but that's just me.

The only down side is that it's mechanically lower quality than the 16-35mm L, not bad at all but not L roughness.

Thank you Ebrahim.

Regarding build quality, I hear that dust has a tendency to wind up inside the lens as a result. What about the actual optics, can any comment on the quality of the glass? 

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Yes dust can get inside the barrel (not the optics) as the lens extends during zooming, I've used it in heavy deserts and I have no problem with the fact that it does extend, it would only be a problem for me If I had to use a mattebox. 

The Image quality pretty much out resolves the C100 1080p. It's extremely sharp at 18 megapixels at all focal lengths and wide open. A Set of CN-E cinema primes stopped down to f/2.8 will have an edge in sharpness and quality of course, you get what I mean. The only weak point of IQ I'd say corner darkness with the C100, so put the C100 in EF-S mode and enable peripheral illumination correction and it's gone (even without EF-S mode it's fine, just a bit dark so keep that in mind

One thing unique about it that I see using this lens is the focus ring smoothness and minimal breathing, Image stabilization (or for whatever reason I don't know) it has unique smooth cinematic focus pulls that look identical to Cine glass with FF in focus pulling from one subject to another, for example vastly superior to the focus pulling I get on the 24-105mm F4 L or 50mm prime for some reason which looks photo-like.

It's like having a set of 17mm, 24mm, 28mm, 35mm, 55mm f/2.8 IS. therefore the only lens on the Canon line up that can shoot an entire project. and the beauty part is that they're used by the VAST Canon photography world so shall you need to resell it later you'll get practically what you paid.

One downside of the lens is of course it's only EF-S, you won't be able to use it on a Full Frame 5D/1DC/A7s type camera in the future unlike the FF 16-35mm F4 and the 18-35mm (which works on FF from 24-35mm). This is one strictly covers just s35 (which is why it has a slight corner shading issue)

I think it's a lens that should be married to any C-line camera. I always wondered why Canon officially sells the 24-105mm F4 as the kit lens and not this one. 

Yep. I sort of had a bit of a break though moment today where I re-realized that story content is just so much more important that things like dynamic rage, 4k resolution etc. Having a camera that that let's you focus on content capture as a one man band in difficult circumstances is worth it's weight.

I also love the idea of losing the side and top handles and throwing a pancake on it.

Question?

Suppose you wanted to remove the C100 Mkii top handle. Could you then mount a mic to the hot shoe, then input the mic to the camera using the 3.5mm mini jack, then control the input volume via menu controls. If so, is accessing the menu audio level controls fairly easy?

Question?

Suppose you wanted to remove the C100 Mkii top handle. Could you then mount a mic to the hot shoe, then input the mic to the camera using the 3.5mm mini jack, then control the input volume via menu controls. If so, is accessing the menu audio level controls fairly easy?

Yes to all of that. You can add the menu audio levels on a custom screen with your most-used menu settings.