C100 Mkii - Resolution and Image Quality - How to Get the Best Out of It?

User

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

They are not downsampling, 

No they are

From 4K to HD. There is a native 8.3 million pixels being read and combined into an HD signal. The Mark II and XC10 cameras have a tweaked downsampling algorithm (they upscale each colour channel to 4K before the final downsample, giving a slightly cleaner final signal).

The C100, C100II, C300, C300II, XC10, 1DC HDMI, all produce an oversampled HD/2K image from a 4K sensor.

I won't shoot furniture with anything less than Cooke glass. 

Guess it depends on your furniture ... and I for one would love to own Cooke glass.

Story from Zeiss is that the Otus line was designed by the team that produced the Master Prime lenses ... so the $4K is 

a bargain relative to those. New camera and process I tend not to experiment with real folks ... they get tired of the endless

repetition.

Most of my stuff is somewhat boring ... which is why I tend not to show it ... 

Bob

Ekpa John Watches #3.jpg

Shooting a BTTF parody today with the M2. Love this camera

12052591_10153190741849077_5959711913904173346_o.jpg

this is a fun read full of great production info

51FdPWgVJxL.jpg

if youre ever low on fighting spirit in your art practice and you like BTTF, check it out

FUN FACT: the DeLorean in Back to the Future had a speedometer that maxed out at 85mph, thanks to a 1979 law set by President Jimmy Carter's National Highway Safety Administration which sought to promote travel at safer speeds. as the concept of "88mph" for time travel had already been built into the script, the production team replaced the manufacturers speedometer with the digital readout that is so famous today

NOT SO FUN FACT: THEY WERE SHOOTING WITH A DIFFERENT STAR. AND IT SUCKED. AND THEY SAW THAT. WISE!!!!!!! tough situation tho; gives me faith to think that AT LEAST IVE NEVER DONE THAT (yet)

Eric-Stoltz-left-006.jpg

but rlly tho, who could play that role better than michael j fox? not eric stoltz the method actor thats for sure lol. but hindsight is always 20/20

anyway, never give up *cena towel*

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

You know, the most endearing part for me was when you described the Canon 550D sensor as soft. It actually made me wonder if I could use one as a pillow? ;)

Actually The 550D is a perfect example of how one step in the chain destroys it all.

-Scene -> lens -> sensor -> in-camera processing -> codec -> post-production -> upload/delivery quality -> Audience viewing settings/Monitor 

sharp lenses, 6K sensor, and then a dreaded in-camera processing involving line-skipping, destroying detail and introducing moire, then good codec, post-production, etc

So I have run into a bit of a problem with the C100. I noticed yesterday that when a rim light, or backlight is slightly off frame, some severe banding occurs in monotone areas. Same with sunlight. If you shoot with the sun barely out of frame on a blue sky you'll see some banding. I've tried Sapphires De-Band with no luck. 10 bit won't fix this either since the output is 8 bit 4:2:2 external (I'm guessing). Does anyone know for sure? I have a Ninja Star on the way Monday.

So I have run into a bit of a problem with the C100. I noticed yesterday that when a rim light, or backlight is slightly off frame, some severe banding occurs in monotone areas. Same with sunlight. If you shoot with the sun barely out of frame on a blue sky you'll see some banding. I've tried Sapphires De-Band with no luck. 10 bit won't fix this either since the output is 8 bit 4:2:2 external (I'm guessing). Does anyone know for sure? I have a Ninja Star on the way Monday.

All lenses or not?

Original Leica M8 showed this behavior not so much banding as a column of light from the source ... 

Assume that this will not be a software fix ... flags on a matte box may be your solution.

Bob

All lenses or not?

Original Leica M8 showed this behavior not so much banding as a column of light from the source ... 

Assume that this will not be a software fix ... flags on a matte box may be your solution.

Bob

Canon 24-105. I was examining some other shots where there was no backlight and the banding is still there, slightly. The backlight just enhanced it.

Canon 24-105. I was examining some other shots where there was no backlight and the banding is still there, slightly. The backlight just enhanced it.

That is  a fairly good lens from a correction standpoint .... what ISO and in C-Log or wide ?

You are fairly sure to see no major difference with and external recorder because the output is 8bit irregardless of the recorders ability to 

record in 10 bit ... I think that the Sony F3 has a bit of an advantage here with 10 bit 4:4:4 output ....

And forgive the impertinence but how close are you to correct exposure?

How long since you did a black balance?

Bob

That is  a fairly good lens from a correction standpoint .... what ISO and in C-Log or wide ?

You are fairly sure to see no major difference with and external recorder because the output is 8bit irregardless of the recorders ability to 

record in 10 bit ... I think that the Sony F3 has a bit of an advantage here with 10 bit 4:4:4 output ....

And forgive the impertinence but how close are you to correct exposure?

How long since you did a black balance?

Bob

C-Log, and exposure was spot on. I haven't black balanced since May. I guess I should do that!