Your Location Scout Tips

Jonesy Jones

I was just thinking that I could learn a bunch from you guys regarding your location scout checklists. Do you have an actual checklist? If so, I would love to see it if you don't mind. If not, what do you generally look for? For me audio, tod, power, and lighting are my main things, but I wonder how you approach those things. I'm sure it's different for different kinds of productions, but again, how do you come at it? Thanks. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

On the rare occasion I'm allowed outside on jobs the logistics are left to the dedicated locations manager and production department, but for doing a visual recce of a location and taking notes to relay to others to sort out the nitty gritty details - Panascout is a decent little tool to have: http://www.panascout.com/

In addition to the items you already mentioned (sound, power distro, etc.), take wide angle photos/videos from each corner of any shooting room.

Scout/plan staging areas for equipment, hair/makeup, craft services, wardrobe, actor privacy/dressing rooms, etc.

Take light meter readings, and bring a compass determine which direction windows/doors/openings face.

Gauge the cooperativeness of the property owner/caretaker.

If you plan on sending light through a window, note the height of the window from ground level outside.

just to add, keep up contact with your second choice. in case the first one falls through. having a backup for each location has saved our butts quite a few times. most memorably, we were supposed to shoot on coastal bluffs in Malibu. the day before our shoot, they caught on fire. my producer was able to shift everything to the back up location in long beach and we didn't miss a beat.