URSA Mini vs Raven (Updated with Raven 4.5K)

Jonesy Jones

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It's funny how people act surprised... This is RED we are talking about... We all said right after they announced it that their 4K couldn't be for all. It's for people who want to shoot film quality images on a budget. Yes a cinema camera (its still a dragon sensor seriously guys !!!). Now the real problem I see is the crop factor. 

Aside from that you still get a Dragon sensor 4K RAW 120fps camera for 10k. 

Now I don't think that everyone needs a Dragon Sensor, but prior from this announcement you couldn't get a dragon sensor for less than what ? 30k - 40k ? 

I think Red enlarged the choice for us. But if people thought they were going to have a run"gun camera from Red, they would be disappointed I guess ;) 

I don't know where the Red Raven fits.

It's cheaper than the C300 Mark II but the fs7 is cheaper too and the ursa mini 4.6k is on the horizon and well...it takes away some from people wanting their red weapon - the crop factor is random - again, just wait till the camera is out and in people's hands.  Until then its worthless.

And still, the red one mx is still the best red deal to have.  Because it exists and it works.

I don't know where the Red Raven fits.

It's cheaper than the C300 Mark II but the fs7 is cheaper too and the ursa mini 4.6k is on the horizon and well...it takes away some from people wanting their red weapon - the crop factor is random - again, just wait till the camera is out and in people's hands.  Until then its worthless.

And still, the red one mx is still the best red deal to have.  Because it exists and it works.

Time for your Raven footage... Spill the beans! ;-) That is, RED Weapon Raven MX footage... : P

Who doesn't miss your incarnate posts , Ed? :thumbsup:

PS: To those who don't know the story:

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?133440-Red-One-Short-Film-Falling-Pieces-A-Short-Film-by-Anh-Vu-about-Alzheimers

Speaking of other cameras from this company, it seems if you want an external microphone coupled to the camera* (only with internal microphone), you'll need to add something like a dedicated USD 1,750.00 accessory.

PS: "available for the WEAPON or REDRAVEN camera system"

http://www.red.com/store/products/weapon-base-expander

*among other features, though

Get hired - don't buy lol ? So cant wrap my head around why anyone invests in visual transient tools, when the client pays for them anyway ? Just get the job, charge it on, do the next one, when camera +1 comes out?  I may be simple, but all my colleagues who shoot all the world class shit,  hire the operators, then prod manager hires the tool as requested, they don't even own a lens never-mind a camera - not one of my director chums who shoot the shit that is beyond global big even owns a single film-making device other than a phone. Like with music - an old analogue synth will not make you the Human League - just get on with the content rather than reaching for association? Was told as a kid people who do do - people who won't talk about it a lot. Who knows eh

Get hired - don't buy lol ? So cant wrap my head around why anyone invests in visual transient tools, when the client pays for them anyway ? Just get the job, charge it on, do the next one, when camera +1 comes out?  I may be simple, but all my colleagues who shoot all the world class shit,  hire the operators, then prod manager hires the tool as requested, they don't even own a lens never-mind a camera - not one of my director chums who shoot the shit that is beyond global big even owns a single film-making device other than a phone. Like with music - an old analogue synth will not make you the Human League - just get on with the content rather than reaching for association? Was told as a kid people who do do - people who won't talk about it a lot. Who knows eh

+1

paying clients want the best...usually I push for kodak film...producer saves on post and rental....pick the right camera for the job

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Here you go! :-)

redsony.jpg

Sorry, this is more like it..

Screen Shot 2015-09-25 at 10.24.10 AM.png

HAHA! it's exactly that! 

Sony can announce the FS5 for 1500-2000$ like that, imagine how many first pre-orders they'd get from DSLR-type shooters. Until they realize it's a 6500$ camera. 

Red fans: sorry we are just kidding on the 5999$ announcement and expensive essentials.

It's a great camera at a decent price really. While it has quite a few downsides, the 4K 120p and internal red compressed raw files (including colour science) are the reason one should buy this camera, it's quite great. The only other cameras in this bracket that can shoot 120p 4K is the FS700 with Q7+ (in bursts) and the C500 (with latest update) + 7Q+, both much less elegant solutions. 

Red is entering a TOUGH market, so many great rivals, FS700, FS5, C100II, FS7, F5, Cion, URSA, URSA mini, C300II, C500, LS300, even Scarlet and more, not an open field to dominate. We'll be seeing how it works and how hard/easy it is shooters will find it to deal with the GH2/GH3 crop/aesthetic on a 11-15K cinema camera. 

True, but this is for high end shoots with bigger budgets. I think it makes sense to buy a solid camera for under $10k when you are doing alot of low-mid level budget work and need something that'll produce great images. Also keeping in mind that camera depreciation is pretty bad, BUT you still get some return if you sell it. So you have to factor that in the total cost of ownership through the time period.

Time for your Raven footage... Spill the beans! ;-) That is, RED Weapon Raven MX footage... : P

Who doesn't miss your incarnate posts , Ed? :thumbsup:

PS: To those who don't know the story:

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?133440-Red-One-Short-Film-Falling-Pieces-A-Short-Film-by-Anh-Vu-about-Alzheimers

That was my revenge mission after billionare Jim cussed out two important members of the online cinematography community.  For that post and another I was banned.  The ultimate in nerddom shame for a kid who's only violation in his life was an internal suspension in 8th grade.

I've heard ridiculous statements saying "URSA Mini is dead" since the announcement of the Raven. The Blackmagic still has great ergonomics, 1080p LCD, XLR's, full ProRes, non-proprietary media and a very affordable but high quality EVF and shoulder kit. 

My pre-order is still in place for the Mini, but I'm still open for options too. Apart from the RED badge, I'm yet to figure out how opting for the Raven over The Mini would be of any benefit. My clients never ask about the camera. Just the ideas. 

I've heard ridiculous statements saying "URSA Mini is dead" since the announcement of the Raven. The Blackmagic still has great ergonomics, 1080p LCD, XLR's, full ProRes, non-proprietary media and a very affordable but high quality EVF and shoulder kit. 

My pre-order is still in place for the Mini, but I'm still open for options too. Apart from the RED badge, I'm yet to figure out how opting for the Raven over The Mini would be of any benefit. My clients never ask about the camera. Just the ideas. 

Dragon sensor + 4k @ 120p : ) (vs crop factor and ergonomics)

To be serious - I think the ergonomics of the Ursa Mini are its biggest selling point vs Red Raven. However they both need a few k$ to be "operational". I'm really curious to see how the "image signature" compares to the image of the Red Raven - and it's awkward crop factor...

That was my revenge mission after billionare Jim cussed out two important members of the online cinematography community.  For that post and another I was banned.  The ultimate in nerddom shame for a kid who's only violation in his life was an internal suspension in 8th grade.

I suppose that 8th grade episode might also show the Edvolution some kids are made of ; ) I also anticipate if you all had the chance to personally meet, you'd find more similarities full of proficuous diversity than somewhat substantial differences between you at both sides. You, a lesson for a lot of readers if they could accurately read you...

In any case, I also believe you fairly guess I appreciate the way you really are an authentic breeze inside a virtual container and never hostage of somehow politically correct at any rate. God be with you!

PS: That thread is a classic today, Ed... I've just had a good laugh each new reading on the characters' dialogue present there. You truly created a legit narrative essay throughout a simple thread: it is now a masterpiece of the web.

Emanuel :-)

PPS: Ed's other (genuinely ;)) disruptive sin : P http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?133547-Reduser-Viewing-Count-has-Been-Off-Since-Beginning&p=1522588#post1522588

I suppose that 8th grade episode might also show the Edvolution some kids are made of ; ) I also anticipate if you all had the chance to personally meet, you'd find more similarities full of proficuous diversity than somewhat substantial differences between you at both sides. You, a lesson for a lot of readers if they could accurately read you...

In any case, I also believe you fairly guess I appreciate the way you really are an authentic breeze inside a virtual container and never hostage of somehow politically correct at any rate. God be with you!

PS: That thread is a classic today, Ed... I've just had a good laugh each new reading on the characters' dialogue present there. You truly created a legit narrative essay throughout a simple thread: it is now a masterpiece of the web.

Emanuel :-)

PPS: Ed's other (genuinely ;)) disruptive sin : P http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?133547-Reduser-Viewing-Count-has-Been-Off-Since-Beginning&p=1522588#post1522588

thanks for being a fan of my self-destruction.

I am sure I would actually like Jim Jinnard if I met him - but I still side with Geoff Boyle and Art Adams who are more rebellious and take no easy stand people who move and base their decisions on their feelings and emotions, like all people should, not be scared of how history will treat them.

Because we all know history will not treat any of us well - since there are too many of us and no one will care.