URSA Mini vs Raven (Updated with Raven 4.5K)

Jonesy Jones

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Having to go to the REDuser forum for info makes me cry!

So many posts along the lines of "C300 mk II D.O.A" and "I would hate to be Sony/Blackmagic/Canon now" ad nauseum.

Whatever you may think of prosumer cams like the C300 and FS7, you can shoot all day on a couple of batteries and some cheap(er) media. I like REDs cameras, but I really detest that place.

Having to go to the REDuser forum for info makes me cry!

So many posts along the lines of "C300 mk II D.O.A" and "I would hate to be Sony/Blackmagic/Canon now" ad nauseum.

Whatever you may think of prosumer cams like the C300 and FS7, you can shoot all day on a couple of batteries and some cheap(er) media. I like REDs cameras, but I really detest that place.

It's called 'insecurity'. It started at the top with Jim. That spills over to the rest of the Red culture.

On another note, even though I've lost all interest in Raven, my plan is still to complete the table that I started this thread with. I assume there are still many who are interested. My hope is to have a chance at that later today. 

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Some points I find funny. 

-The camera doesn't take batteries, doesn't power, unless you buy the battery module for 1150$, 

RED_WEAPON_REDVOLT_XL_Module_1.jpg?v=142

-Then 350$ a battery, which doesn't stand much. I wonnder if you get a charger :)
RVOLT_XL-1.png?v=1409196170

-The camera has no inputs/outputs, to get an HDMI + SDI you need to buy the module for 1750$, they call it an EXPANDER, something you expand the camera with shall you need an input, or want a 3.5mm microphone input and a headphone jack :)

RED_WEAPON_Base_Expander_1.jpg?v=1428521

-To record, you need the RED Magazine, 1400$ for 240GB, 4000$ for a TB of media.

RED_MINI-MAG_240GB.jpg?v=1428816427

-THEN, you don't get a reader, it's a 150 bucks. The RED STATION:)

MiniMagStationAlone11.png?v=1409196172

-You can't control the camera (get buttons, yes, and see settings) unless you buy the module for 1150$, this is equivalent to the top LCD on an SLR in functionality :)

Weapon-Sidekick-Magnesium.jpg?v=14287374

-Then to get an LCD to actually shoot, the old low quality, Touch-laggy 4.7'' LCD is for 1450$, the 7'' is 3000$. And no you can't just use you monitor on it, it's a RED input with touch interface to control the camera's resolution/frame rate :)

red-touch-47-lcd-front.png?v=1441940579

-God forbid if you poor man want an EVF like other cameras to shoot outside, 4150$ and you need to buy an extra adapter shall you ever need to plug it in :)

products_primary_weapon-red-evf-w-adapto

It's almost as if they're kidding announcing/selling the camera without these. If they're included and the price is announced at 11-15K it'd be fine, the camera is an OK competitor at that price.

This is the equivalent to say the FS5 being announced for 2000$ and selling you this

sony-fs5-9.jpg

(well this but without all the buttons and inputs/outputs, HDMI/SDI/Mic/headphone jacks, NDs or evf :) )

To be fair, it was 4K4All

It was a daft hashtag though, $10k is not "for all" ... Not sure if they ever explained themselves on that one... Maybe "for all terrain" or some nonsense.

The way I see it, with RED..... Take the specs with a pinch of salt... Don't get too carried away with the marketing or the crazy forum... Turn your eyes away from the military designs... You are then just left with a great camera.

That is fair, I remembered it incorrectly but, as you said, how is 10 grand for all? For big productions, I can see how the Raven will be useful as b and c cams, but for lower budget... Why would anyone bother when there are so many other, lower cost, options out there? Is the Red codec and IQ that much better? But, in the end, I can only speak for myself.

With all those modules it's not very light anymore. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Let alone cheap. GH4 makes so much more sense.

Here's waiting for Atomos Shogun to hit 1000€ mark. Lexar 1000x UHS-II cards are what I have been using of late 150MB/s ones ~35€ for 64GB card.

10 of those is 350€ / 640GB ;)And Kingston reader MobiLIte G4 is about 13 euros USH-II / USB3 reader.

Quick calculation.

2400 euros for a  2 x GH4 bodies + VLOG updates

350 euros for 640GB of memory cards

150 euros for 2 org. batteries

4599 dollars for full set of Veydra Glass and case (not the 85)

= about 7500 euros.

Surely this is a sick joke? Red should change their name to green, since that is clearly all they want from the film making community.

Buying a Red camera is like buying a club membership that enables you to buy more of expensive things. I how ever do value RED's quality level of their products in this age of planned obsolessence. Chips in printers and who knows where that make your devices die on you on a certain date or after random time of uses.

Sure it's way more expensive once all of the stupidly overpriced accessories are added, but still...Getting a dragon sensor for 10K shootable is pretty cool in my opinion.

And 4K 120fps it's something pretty differentiating from others in its price bracket.

The only thing that's a deal breaker for me is the crop/mount combination. 

It's almost as if they're kidding announcing/selling the camera without these. If they're included and the price is announced at 11-15K it'd be fine, the camera is an OK competitor at that price.

This is the equivalent to say the FS5 being announced for 2000$ and selling you this

sony-fs5-9.jpg

(well this but without all the buttons and inputs/outputs, HDMI/SDI/Mic/headphone jacks, NDs or evf :) )

Here you go! :-)

redsony.jpg

Sorry, this is more like it..

Screen Shot 2015-09-25 at 10.24.10 AM.png

• Super Members

Some points I find funny. 

-The camera doesn't take batteries, doesn't power, unless you buy the battery module for 1150$, 

RED_WEAPON_REDVOLT_XL_Module_1.jpg?v=142

-Then 350$ a battery, which doesn't stand much. I wonnder if you get a charger :)
RVOLT_XL-1.png?v=1409196170

-The camera has no inputs/outputs, to get an HDMI + SDI you need to buy the module for 1750$, they call it an EXPANDER, something you expand the camera with shall you need an input, or want a 3.5mm microphone input and a headphone jack :)

RED_WEAPON_Base_Expander_1.jpg?v=1428521

-To record, you need the RED Magazine, 1400$ for 240GB, 4000$ for a TB of media.

RED_MINI-MAG_240GB.jpg?v=1428816427

-THEN, you don't get a reader, it's a 150 bucks. The RED STATION:)

MiniMagStationAlone11.png?v=1409196172

-You can't control the camera (get buttons, yes, and see settings) unless you buy the module for 1150$, this is equivalent to the top LCD on an SLR in functionality :)

Weapon-Sidekick-Magnesium.jpg?v=14287374

-Then to get an LCD to actually shoot, the old low quality, Touch-laggy 4.7'' LCD is for 1450$, the 7'' is 3000$. And no you can't just use you monitor on it, it's a RED input with touch interface to control the camera's resolution/frame rate :)

red-touch-47-lcd-front.png?v=1441940579

-God forbid if you poor man want an EVF like other cameras to shoot outside, 4150$ and you need to buy an extra adapter shall you ever need to plug it in :)

products_primary_weapon-red-evf-w-adapto

sony-fs5-9.jpg

:)

But isn't it easier to just buy the kit? ;)

Raven_package_names-06

"Versatile enough for documentaries, online, and television—the RED RAVEN Base I/O Package gives you everything you need to take your vision to the next level of image quality.

$9,950 / DEPOSIT $1000