URSA Mini vs Raven (Updated with Raven 4.5K)

Jonesy Jones

Some of you may recognize a similar table that I created a while back to compare several cameras, including the URSA Mini. These charts help me to make a more informed decision. For my purposes, there's been no camera to rival the URSA Mini (on paper at least) at it's price point. The Raven may be a competitor, though it could be shaping up to not really be in the Mini's price point. There's still a bunch we don't know, but a lot we do. I'll add info to the list as it becomes available. I trust you'll let me know where I'm in error. :)

Updated with Raven 4.5K sensor.

Screen_Shot_2015-10-22_at_2.48.12_PM.thu

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Pro Res might be the deal breaker... Have RED confirmed that it will be REDcode only?

Nope. It's intentionally left out until we know for sure. I'm hoping for that too because you're right, kind of a deal breaker. But for the market they're shooting for with this camera, it's kind of a no brainer. Would be surprised if they leave it out. 

I'm also kind of hoping the max res is actually a bit higher. 4.5K at 30p tops would be cool. This is Red after all. Res is kinda their game.

From what I have read at REDuser, the thinking is that these sensors are a quarter cut of the 8K sensor... If that is the case, then 4K will be the max. If true, it is a concern, as RED is quite soft (compared to BM with no OLFP)

If you're referring to the 8K Weapon sensor, then I think this imy be false. If I understood correctly, Jared said early this morning that it was a Dragon sensor. Maybe that's the same thing. I don't know. We're getting into tech talk territory I have no business debating about. :)

From what I have read at REDuser, the thinking is that these sensors are a quarter cut of the 8K sensor... If that is the case, then 4K will be the max. If true, it is a concern, as RED is quite soft (compared to BM with no OLFP)

True. They will review the OLPF I guess they'll need to.

So the sensor size is between APS-C and M43 sensor (similar size to Sigma Foveon sensor)

That means you lose the wide angle part a bit as it will be 1.7x crop size instead of 1.5x

Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 is plain enough. If you're able to add a SpeedBooster, you'll be fully fulfilled with.

And it is in EF mount so you can't add speedbooster anyway

Yes, indeed. I see the specs now. Pity no 4/3" mount, so close 1.7x is from 1.8x. I should add the verb on "would" than "will" : D

I also see the idea of universal pre-mount brought by RED in 2006 is a mere page of the past.

PS: The difference of price range with Weapon is huge, so 4/3" mount (with the right tricks) would place it even more planetary... ;-)

https://support.red.com/entries/93023988-WEAPON-DRAGON-Pricing-Information-USD

Raven? what is that??

LOL Priceless post, Ebrahim ;-)

They say the bird flies quick. If high(er) than Ursa Mini, we will see... Good for industry, good for filmmaking.

Links:

http://www.studiodaily.com/2015/09/5950-new-raven-reds-lightest-digital-cinema-camera/

http://nofilmschool.com/2015/09/red-raven-4k-for-all-camera-teaser

https://***URL not allowed***/red-raven-ready-entire-sub10k-market/

I trust you'll let me know where I'm in error. :)

Your CFast media price seems a little wonky.

Cursory search reveals that the approved Lexard 3400x cards cost:

128GB = USD 341.99

256GB = USD 677.80

And I mean, those are B&H prices. Guaranteed you can find a better deal.

That said, this stuff (media prices) changes by the second, so I respect your compiling effort. :)

I await the published Raven specs. Hoping for some real awesome DR and possibly even HDRx capability.