Complete production package from scratch for 18180euro - please help

satoshi

Hi Guys! 

I'm coming from TV production background with maybe 200 news stories shoot by me (on JVC shoulder cams)

I'm lookig to get a complete production package. I want to shoot all kinds of productions, but conentrate on advertisment and reportage/ run and gun documentary . I went wih c100 mk2, 70d and canon glass as I love the ergonomics and images it produces. 

I'm aware with amazing develepment with sony cameras, but those a7 cameras look that the have very poor ergonomics and are not really build as pro tools. I also considered awesome sony f35 but it's very hard to operate with huge bulk and the setup probably would cost a lot more. Although I saw sony f35 for under 5k on ebay. 

I love c100mk2 ergonomics, but the codec and 8bit are huge disappointment - still it's the most compelling package 

I would like to maybe save somehow on this setup and get 5dmark 3 for fotos. 

What I needs is general critique, and advise on tripods and lights, matte boxes etc.

- Editing (total euro 3829)
15" MacBook Pro mit Retina Display 2.799,00 €  
WD My Book Thunderbolt Duo für Mac externe Festplatte 4TB EUR 319,00 
LaCie 9000489 Rugged externe Festplatte 2TB EUR 261,99 
Asus PB287Q EUR 449,00 

- Sound  (total euro 2025)

Sennheiser EW 100 ENG G3 / A-Band 777 €  
Rode NTG2 Dead Cat Bundle 245 €
Rode SM3 42 € 
Rode Boompole 94 €
Sennheiser MD46 Microphone 239 €
Sennheiser MZW4032ANT 51 €
? Rode VideoMic Rycote 98 €
Sennheiser HD-25-1 II 174 €
Zoom H5 MSH-6 Bundle 299 €

- Camera + Lenses (total euro 5797)

NEU CANON EF 70-200MM F/2.8L IS II USM LENS EUR 1.639,00
Canon EF16-35mm f2.8 L II USM Weitwinkel Objektiv EUR 1.250,00
Canon EF 50mm f/1,4 USM Objektiv (58 mm Filtergewinde)  EUR 299,00
NEU CANON EOS 5D MARK III SLR-DIGITALKAMERA BODY ONLY EUR 1.929,00
Canon EOS 70D 20.2 MP Digital SLR Camera Black Body EUR 680,00
Canon - EOS C100 MK II EUR 5000

- acessories (total euro 593) 
Lexar Professional USB 3.0 Dual-Slot Reader  EUR 33,00 
SanDisk Extreme Pro CompactFlash 64GB Speicherkarte (bis zu 160MB/s lesen) EUR 103,89 x2 
SanDisk Extreme Pro SDXC 64GB Class 10 Speicherkarte (bis zu 95MB/s lesen) [Amazon Frustfreie Verpackung] EUR 52,90 x2
Camera backpack 100
polarizer filters 150e 

- tripods, slider, gimbal (total euro 2650)
2 used Sachtler/manfrotto tripos and a monopod with fluid heads 1500 eur
Slider with fluid head approx 600euro
Rail system 500e 

- Light (total euro 274)
Aputure Amaran AL-H160 x3 120 €  
DSTE Li-Ion Power Akkus + Ladegerät für Sony NP-F970 € 24
Original Blumax Ersatz Akku NP-F550 für SONY NP x3 € 50 
2x Softboxes 80 €

TOTAL 18180 euro

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I love c100mk2 ergonomics, but the codec and 8bit are huge disappointment - still it's the most compelling package 

c100mk2 is a great cam but you are going to be limited to 1080p. 

Have a look at the FS5 & Ursa mini cameras that will give you more flexibility on the productions that you can take. Very soon you will loose possible jobs if you cannot deliver 4K. 

I would like to maybe save somehow on this setup and get 5dmark 3 for fotos. 

In my opinion that's a waste of money. If you want a camera to do photos at that price range you should consider the GH4/NX1/A7rii that all do excellent video as well. Difference between the quality of the pictures is not as much as the internet tries to argue.  

15" MacBook Pro mit Retina Display 2.799,00 €  

That is waste of money as well. It might have been fine if you want to be portable and you are working with Final cut, but for everything else get a custom build desktop! You will be editing faster with no need for proxies when you move to 4K... 

c100mk2 is a great cam but you are going to be limited to 1080p. 

Have a look at the FS5 & Ursa mini cameras that will give you more flexibility on the productions that you can take. Very soon you will loose possible jobs if you cannot deliver 4K. 

In my opinion that's a waste of money. If you want a camera to do photos at that price range you should consider the GH4/NX1/A7rii that all do excellent video as well. Difference between the quality of the pictures is not as much as the internet tries to argue.  

That is waste of money as well. It might have been fine if you want to be portable and you are working with Final cut, but for everything else get a custom build desktop! You will be editing faster with no need for proxies when you move to 4K... 

Any what do you think about used c500 ? There is one for about 7k now on ebay

Thanks 

good camera for a good price. Keep in mind that you will need an external recorder for 4k but that is better than no 4k at all. 

Others should weigh in on this. 

Yeah, for me ergonomics are most important. XLR inputs, build in NDs, goof AF make working a breeze.  Sony a7s II looks very flimsy and not comfortable 

Yeah, for me ergonomics are most important. XLR inputs, build in NDs, goof AF make working a breeze.  Sony a7s II looks very flimsy and not comfortable 

I'm in the same boat, so I hear you.

A tool that helps you focus on getting the best material is worth a great deal. Especially under less than idea circumstances, which for me is a lot of the time. Although the A7 line up can produce great images, at the end of the days they are fussy little toys.

I would be a little thrilled to wake up tomorrow and discover that Canon released a firmware update that kicked the C100mkii into high gear. Alas.