Making your videos look good for YouTube ?

LimitBreak

I uploaded straight from my A6000 some XAVC-S clips to youtube and they looked horrible, even the AVCHD videos from the RX100 look much better, what is the best way to make it great on youtube ? Transcode to VP9 ?

Also what is the best Camera and video Format to use to capture for straight Youtube upload ? (press conference coverage, no editing at all)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I have had a hard time for years with this as well. Some settings or trick (such as uploading fake 4K upscaled to get a better bitrate) can do a bit better. Many theories fight against each other (but if some have good settings still share it please). 
But nothing ever close to let's say GoPro official video, why? 
Answer is simple and was written in Google FAQ (not written in USA anymore): 

Pros have a specific account whith 50mbps bit rate for FHD, where you are stuck at around 8mbps. Don't look further. 

Best export settings according to Youtube:

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en

Pros have a specific account whith 50mbps bit rate for FHD, where you are stuck at around 8mbps. Don't look further. 

This sounds interesting, any sources to back this statement?

cliptoolz is no longer available unfortunately.

Hey, cliptoolz is still available. Check the link at the very bottom, i mean very, very bottom of the linked page. There is a dropbox download link still working!

You should convert footage (4K). Free software - ClipToolzConvertV2. Link: http://hdcinematics.com/convert-V2.html

Hey Bami,

I used a setting for wrapping into mov container. So, do you or anybody else know,  if that would be a losless process for wrapping my creepy mts files (davinci doesnt like em:) into mov?

It didnt take longer than 2 seconds for a 2 minutes clip. So I guess, there was no converting (thatfore that being a lossless process) involved, unless my computer turned into a supercomputer over night:)

I have had a hard time for years with this as well. Some settings or trick (such as uploading fake 4K upscaled to get a better bitrate) can do a bit better. Many theories fight against each other (but if some have good settings still share it please). 

Source to back this statment?

Hey, cliptoolz is still available. Check the link at the very bottom, i mean very, very bottom of the linked page. There is a dropbox download link still working!

Hey Bami,

I used a setting for wrapping into mov container. So, do you or anybody else know,  if that would be a losless process for wrapping my creepy mts files (davinci doesnt like em:) into mov?

It didnt take longer than 2 seconds for a 2 minutes clip. So I guess, there was no converting (thatfore that being a lossless process) involved, unless my computer turned into a supercomputer over night:)

1.) Yes. NOTE: Not currently working with Google Chrome - I'm looking into available alternatives.
Get your own DropBox for free and download directly - dropbox.com

2.) Sorry, have no idea.

Best export settings according to Youtube:

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en

This sounds interesting, any sources to back this statement?

It was in their website for years right here: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en

And recently when updating the website they removed it and let only the 8mbps limit. 

A proof of what I say, in French : https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/youtube/8T5Y8xw5ouk

the guys refers to this link  https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en and quote what I am saying which obviously disappear but was here before (saw it tons of times). The sentence is : High quality uploads for creators with enterprise quality internet connections 
quality: @1080p         - bitrate: 50,000 kbps        

Ask yourself why pro videos with lot of action (and need for high bitrate) look amazing like GoPro video, and when you upload yours it gets transformed into a complete mess of macroblocking....

Another link that refers to it https://www.reddit.com/r/letsplay/comments/2bq7gm/question_about_qualitybitrates/

again ; http://support.teachertube.com/knowledgebase/articles/414420-best-video-settings-advanced-encoding-and-format

Anyway I am not gonna search all my life on the web to give you links you believe me or not not my problem ;). Youtube is fucking US allowing only some people have 50mbps and some not and they have unclear communication on it. Thats it. 

Hi,
on my blog there are many test on youtube bitrate and quality.

Upload your video in 1440p and NOT in 720p or 1080p... 2K resolution boost bitrate x3 in youtube transcoding process!

Youtube Best Settings Guide: Uprez your video to 1440p take advantage of the higher bit rate boost

My youtube video download test (h264 and Vp9):
Test video quality 720p 1080p 1440p 2160p max bitrate which compresses youtube

For other resolution:
Best Youtube export settings for 720p 1080p 1440p 2160p

for 4K 25mbits is ideal... for 2K 20mbits...  best h264 encoder is MEGUI: high quality h264 file... for vp9 media encoder with webm premiere plugin

Hi,
on my blog there are many test on youtube bitrate and quality.

Upload your video in 1440p and NOT in 720p or 1080p... 2K resolution boost bitrate x3 in youtube transcoding process!

Youtube Best Settings Guide: Uprez your video to 1440p take advantage of the higher bit rate boost

My youtube video download test (h264 and Vp9):
Test video quality 720p 1080p 1440p 2160p max bitrate which compresses youtube

For other resolution:
Best Youtube export settings for 720p 1080p 1440p 2160p

for 4K 25mbits is ideal... for 2K 20mbits...  best h264 encoder is MEGUI: high quality h264 file... for vp9 media encoder with webm premiere plugin

Thanks.

Yes... but bitrate remains 4mbits at 1080p... play 1440p with 10mbits and video look very good! bitrate = quality... low bitrate=low quality more artifacts ... 20mbps (4k youtube transcoding) is too high for normal adsl fluid streaming .. but 1440p it's ok! (i have 7mbps bad italian adsl and see 2K video)
4K (20mbps) = 2.5MB/s
2K (10mbps) = 1,25MB/s (with slow adsl use smart buffer 20% and see video)
YouTube create multiple versions from your stream

• 1 year later...

Lots of pseudo bullshit in this thread...

Short and simple:

• YouTube reencodes EVERY (valid) file you upload.
  • Uploading in 4K and above triggers YouTube to make VP9 (higher quality) streams almost immediately. (This is the key thing here as the MP4 stream is absolutely shit, turning your footage into macroblocking smears.)
  • You don't have a corporate or partner account, your videos will always suffer from poor bitrate.