Dog Schidt Optiks FF58 at Night

Zak Forsman

Rented a Dog Schidt Optiks FF58 this weekend, and I wanted to see how shooting with its oval aperture (f/3.5) would go on a GH4. With V-Log L in the mix I'm happy to say I'm sold. Depending on lighting conditions I had ISO anywhere from 400 to 1600. Also rolled on ISO 3200 for one shot to see who it would look -- it's the XCU of a parking meter with prominent oval bokeh at 1:47. In my opinion, shooting at (-2, -5) external 10 bit is essential for keeping the noise tight and fine and as grain-like as possible. I might drop to -3 Sharpness from now on but the difference would be subtle. And pushing NR above -5 would start turning it into mush.

No grading here. Just V709 + an Impulz Kodak Generic Rec709 LUT.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I didn't here but typically I add a little sharpening. just enough that I can see a difference and then i back it off a touch. i've used neat video in the past for NR but lately i've been enjoying the finer, more grainlike noise you get when capturing in 10 bit. so yes and no. depends on my mood.