Lens-yclopedia RELOADED

Bold

Hello all,

Tito has kindly allowed me to do some streamlining of the Lens-yclopedia database:

• I have templatized all the entries so key information is in the same location when you cycle through the pages.
  • The template improves overall readability of the information.
  • I've broken up Mounting Solutions into To Filter, To Taking Lens, and Lens Support
  • I’ve changed the Index to a spreadsheet that provides key stats for easy ‘comparison shopping’
  • I’ve removed a couple lens entries that had no (or next to no) information.
  • I've added a few bits of info on various lenses as I went through, particularly links to example footage.
  • I’ve made significant updates to the B&H and B&L entries based on the info I gathered from EOSHD, as well as other locations. I'll keep adding to them as I embark on modding/using my lenses.

Check out the updated Lens-yclopedia here. A great big huge thanks to Tito for allowing me to build on his great work.  And to all the folks who have responded to my info-seeking posts.  The information people have provided here has been invaluable for a newcomer like me.

I was surprised at how much info I was able to find on the B&L, I cited sources in the Lens-yclopedia entry where I could - I would love to see all entries given source/reference links. I know people’s time is limited, but even just a morsel of info here & there would really help re-invigorate the database and make it more robust.  A little crowd-sourcing can go a long way!

I am considering periodically starting ‘Seeking Info About X Lens” threads to build up the other lens entries in the Lens-cyclopedia.  If this is something you would like to see (or help me with), please chime in.  

If you want to send info my way (corrections, answers to red question marks, Lens-yclopedia functionality, etc), I will find time to update the database appropriately.

Cheers,
|. . | .|

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

That's great man! Now if only there could be a listing for Mitchell lenses and having me know what all of them are...

Do you mean Mitchell BNC mount?

You could always start a thread "Seeking info about BNC mount anamorphic lenses" and combine that with a little internet research. I'd be happy to add anything you find to the database :)

Very very nice work! Thanks a lot, it's a treasure for all of us anamorphic diggers!

By the way, I have two questions if you don't mind:

- did you remove Elmoscope II from database?

- it looks like you think there's an optical difference between Kowa 8-z/16H & Kowa Bell & Howell. But they are both Prominar labelled. Is this "B&H quality control" a web legend or not? I mean Kowa is Kowa, japanese handmade excellence (still today). I really try to understand this price difference. For me they optically look same, don't they?

Thanks!

Very very nice work! Thanks a lot, it's a treasure for all of us anamorphic diggers!

By the way, I have two questions if you don't mind:

- did you remove Elmoscope II from database?

- it looks like you think there's an optical difference between Kowa 8-z/16H & Kowa Bell & Howell. But they are both Prominar labelled. Is this "B&H quality control" a web legend or not? I mean Kowa is Kowa, japanese handmade excellence (still today). I really try to understand this price difference. For me they optically look same, don't they?

Thanks!

We decided to remove the Elmoscope II because there was almost no real information about it except for the picture.

About the Kowa, the 8Z and the B&H are definitely not the same. The Bell & Howell isn't Prominar labeled and it has a very different body design, size and weight. Maybe the optics are the same, but the housing is very different.

I can provide you infos about Elmo II if you need.

I agree housing of 8Z / B&H is different, and rear sizes too. But I guess that's all. According to Andrew Reid "The Bell and Howell anamorphic by Kowa, then, is a Kowa Prominar in a sleeker chassis." ( http://www.eoshd.com/2011/02/kowa-anamorphic-lens-review/ )

That's an interesting triangle we have here: Elmo has same rear size as 8z/16h but looks like a B&H. B&H is lighter and wider than 8z/16h. 8z/16h is more common but cheaper with similar optical results (I guess but I'm not sure). Elmo and B&H are supposed to have more drastic glass tests than 8z/16h.

What do you think about it?

Cool, I hope you find the information you're looking for!

This got me thinking I should clarify everyone's expectations so there's no confusion later on:

In the future I *may* start  more lens threads and add Lens-yclopedia info on anamorphics I own or are otherwise interested in. I am *not* offering to sift through other people's threads and collate the lens information for them.

What I *am* offering is to add any lens info to the database provided 1) that lens info is sent to me and 2) that lens info is labeled according to the fields in the template, so I know where to place it:

• Lens Name
  • Manufacturer
  • Also Known As
  • Anamorphic Stretch
  • Weight
  • Length
  • Front Element Size
  • Filter Thread Size
  • Rear Element Size
  • Rear Thread Size
  • Years Produced
  • Focus Method
  • Min. Focus Distance
  • Taking Lens Minimum Focal Length
    • Full Frame
    • ASP-C
    • Micro Four Thirds
  • Pros
  • Cons
  • Mounting Solutions
    • To Filter
    • To Taking Lens
    • Lens Support
  • Observations & Empirical Data
  • Gallery Photos
  • Screen Caps / Links to Footage

CHeers,

|. . | .|

I can provide you infos about Elmo II if you need.

I agree housing of 8Z / B&H is different, and rear sizes too. But I guess that's all. According to Andrew Reid "The Bell and Howell anamorphic by Kowa, then, is a Kowa Prominar in a sleeker chassis." ( http://www.eoshd.com/2011/02/kowa-anamorphic-lens-review/ )

That's an interesting triangle we have here: Elmo has same rear size as 8z/16h but looks like a B&H. B&H is lighter and wider than 8z/16h. 8z/16h is more common but cheaper with similar optical results (I guess but I'm not sure). Elmo and B&H are supposed to have more drastic glass tests than 8z/16h.

What do you think about it?

My understanding is they are all share the same optics from the sizes told.   The difference might be coatings.

Hi all, been reading along for a while... As a photographer wanting to learn more about video, I found this site and forum which introduced me to anamorphic video on DSLR. It's quite the niche, but a lot of fun and you have a great community here.

I'd like to compliment Tito and Bold on this great piece of work. Already a brilliant resource, looks very pro now. I'll try to add info on my recently acquired and somewhat mysterious "Widescreen Supa-60 1.5x", as there is nothing on the web about it.

Would it be useful to add a single file to the database with a list for lenses that are known by name only (like the aforementioned Elmoscope II)? Could give people that are interested in searching for anamorphics some leads... This and this list on the super8wiki have been helpful for my eBay quests.

I'll try to add info on my recently acquired and somewhat mysterious "Widescreen Supa-60 1.5x", as there is nothing on the web about it.

Excellent - never heard of it, would love to know more!

Would it be useful to add a single file to the database with a list for lenses that are known by name only (like the aforementioned Elmoscope II)? Could give people that are interested in searching for anamorphics some leads... This and this list on the super8wiki have been helpful for my eBay quests.

Perhaps down the road, though I don't have bandwidth for that at the moment. If anyone wants to compile such a list though, I'd be happy to publish it :)

The entry for Yashicascope 1.5x appears to contain the info for the Iscorama 54.  

Yep, found out today the original entries for these were made a long long time ago using the template for the Isco 54.  I'll clear out the data, and update it if new data comes in.

• 1 month later...

Nice work!

Don't know if it is worth adding to Kowa B&H observation notes but since playing around with Kowa B&H and hearing other owners experience, it seems that the factory-set close focus distance from front optic to subject for the Kowa is actually 3 feet 8 inches (let's call it 4 feet to be conservative)

This is due to the focus travel going beyond the 5 foot minimum marker on the lens being a common quirk of that particular lens from it's factory design.

• 4 weeks later...