jacoblewis

Is Samsung shutting down their camera business?

I've been offered a NX1 with a 16-50mm S and 50-150mm S lens for around £2000 ($3000). This for me is cheaper than a brand new A7rii/A7sii. However with the worry of the camera buisness being shut down its a hard choice! What do you guys think?

That's a very good offer. 

I've seen the same package without the 50-150 lens for just over £1200. 

I bought 2 RX10 II's for my very low budget stuff but I'm struggling to "feel it". It's the sensor size and electronicy lens I think. So I was thinking of getting in the NX1 instead and also use it as a dedicated stills camera. 

Depends how good the slo-mo is though. Can't try this camera anywhere!

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Well problem is the resale value if samsung shuts down the business...

No, resale value will go up if that happens.

As used market will be only place to buy the cameras worldwide.

By the way resale value is terrible for almost all gear.

Depends how good the slo-mo is though. Can't try this camera anywhere!

The slow-mo isn't very good. 1080p 120fps has plenty of moire and aliasing as does 60p and even 24p.

The 4K is wonderful though.

The slow-mo isn't very good. 1080p 120fps has plenty of moire and aliasing as does 60p and even 24p.

Bummer. 

I've seen it look pretty impressive on some clips. sadly the other 98% of footage out there for this camera isn't great (probably due to unskilled hands). 

What other small camera can do what the NX1 can? Closest I can think of is A7S II/A7R II. Just fancy a change as I'm a little bored of shooting on Sony!

Hmm, I am quite surprised that you evaluate NX1 120fps so low... in most cases (when filming people, cars,...) is aliasing visible but it is not terrible. In fact 120fps in NX1 is way better that it was 30p on Canon 5DmkII.

Only downside I see on NX1 1080p modes is they are very much sensitive on ISO... 120fps is only usable on ISO 100 and 200. Higher ISOs means very smudgy image without details (60p can go a little higher but ISO 400 is max for nice image).

absolutely the only thing I worried about. The cam you bought for 1500 would plummet to 500. This is a hard pill to swallow for someone like me who upgrades frequently 

I love this Samsung but I have till tommorrow to decide if I am keeping it. I hear the sunspot issue on the A7sii is only a PAL problem. Hardest decision of my life LOL

Yeah.  I'm not too keen on buying a $1,300 lens when it will only work on obsolete camera bodies.  Best to step back and let prices fall.  There is a level where owning this system makes sense.  I the US we haven't reached that level yet for hobbyists.  Reminds me of the BMPCC.  I wouldn't touch the thing for $1,000.  Bought it without a thought at $500.

I'm in the US, and I'm fairly confident I will get one for that price in the next 1-2 months. Like I said, $1900 refurb on ebay right now, which is basically $1800 once or twice a month when ebay does their bucks promotion. I have also seen several used in excellent condition go for just below this.

Anything is possible in the used market.  The new prices from Europe though are truly enviable.

Just noticed that Samyang won't make its new 50mm & 21mm lenses in NX mount like they usually do with their other APS-C lenses.

I think the reason could be the flange register. By looking at the photo's of the lenses, there is probably not enough space for the new 50&21mm lenses to have a NX mount .

The flange register is indeed a bummer for the Leica M / Zeiss ZM lovers, I just sold my Sonnar 50. But I like the ZF.2 a lot for video so I'm happy with this trade off, yet the Loxia - sony combination still looks very nice.

I think the reason could be the flange register. By looking at the photo's of the lenses, there is probably not enough space for the new 50&21mm lenses to have a NX mount .

The flange register is indeed a bummer for the Leica M / Zeiss ZM lovers, I just sold my Sonnar 50. But I like the ZF.2 a lot for video so I'm happy with this trade off, yet the Loxia - sony combination still looks very nice.

I might sell my NX1 - modified to fit Leica M lenses... + the adapter for Leica M lenses. 

Value is decided by supply and demand.  If this camera was in high demand they wouldn't be discontinuing it would they. 

The value of this camera will plummet once word gets out that Samsung has called it quits. Don't kid yourself. 

Exactly...

People will not clamour to get into a dead system, just because they are no longer on sale... If anything, those few people who are still looking to the NX1 as an option will instantly turn their back on it, unless the price is a complete bargain. To think otherwise is insane... We are not talking about a vintage wine, we are talking about a tech that already loses resale at an insane rate.

I'll be keeping my NX1, but i'm under no illusion that if Samsung bail it will hold (or increase!) resale value.

Exactly...

People will not clamour to get into a dead system, just because they are no longer on sale... If anything, those few people who are still looking to the NX1 as an option will instantly turn their back on it, unless the price is a complete bargain. To think otherwise is insane... We are not talking about a vintage wine, we are talking about a tech that already loses resale at an insane rate.

I'll be keeping my NX1, but i'm under no illusion that if Samsung bail it will hold (or increase!) resale value.

this Samsung rumor gets more and more depressing by the minute. They'll retweet something I posted praising the NX1 but the minute I ask if the discontinuation rumors are true they go quiet. The only people close to having the facts are the retailers. It's still a good camera but like I've said numerous times, what worries me is the resale value. Looks like if I keep this camera it's totally going to be my workhorse cuz selling it in the future may be out the question. It wont hold value like a 5d

Have you shot 1080p60 and 1080p120 stuff since the 1.4 update?

It's pretty impressive.  I'd rank it above the Gh4.  It's not free of moire on intense patterns, but it's pretty darn good now.

The good news is that it will be a little while before this tech is antiquated, so any NX1 owner will get their money's worth from it. 

But any upcoming support for the h.265 codec might be halted. 

Who knows, maybe Canon wants to use their sensors and wants an exclusivity deal. 

I'm of the opinion that if you like the camera keep it. If you have the lenses and don't love them, sell them.

Why would the resale value go down if it still does the job?

And when it no longer does the job, the resale value of any camera you buy will crash, not just Samsung.

Resale on the lenses wont go up, it will go drastically down. Who's gonna drop £1k+ on lenses that only work on a finite number of cameras that will soon be irrelevant?

Who is going to drop that on any consumer lens that has been used?

Once you take it out the shop, and have used it for a year or two, most lenses are worth practically nothing.