jacoblewis

Is Samsung shutting down their camera business?

I don't get why Samsung is not saying anythng good or bad? 
I mean I spent €1300 for this camera and if it's a dead camera after a few months I sure would like to know it.

On YouTube Samsung USA (I guess) had the NX1 commercial uploaded with millions of views...now it's gone or I can't find it.

Why on earth would a major company like Samsung respond to crazy, unsubstantiated rumors? That's basically what we have here: crazy, unsubstantiated rumors. Except with a lot of idle speculation everywhere to keep them alive. IMO, it only goes to show NX1's clout and success. BTW, are you referring to this official intro video on YouTube?

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I just found a hardly used nx500 with a NX 16mm, 30mm, 45mm and 50-200mm. All in boxes for asking price $870 but he would probably let it go for $700. 

If they would have ditched their cameras that would drop to $300 before spring. Makes me kinda wish the rumors are true :)

I just found a hardly used nx500 with a NX 16mm, 30mm, 45mm and 50-200mm. All in boxes for asking price $870 but he would probably let it go for $700. 

If they would have ditched their cameras that would drop to $300 before spring. Makes me kinda wish the rumors are true :)

Ridiculous. 

I've seen the NX500 with kit lens around £300 brand new a few times. 

I'm keen to try the actual NX1 - it's near impossible to do so without buying it!

This is the cheapest I've found an NX1 package - brand new: http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mainproduct.php?pid=24721

£1219.95 for the body + 16-50  f2-2.8... but out of stock. All the stock is really low in Europe. 

Shutting down? Who the hell knows. 

Ridiculous. 

I've seen the NX500 with kit lens around £300 brand new a few times. 

I'm keen to try the actual NX1 - it's near impossible to do so without buying it!

This is the cheapest I've found an NX1 package - brand new: http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mainproduct.php?pid=24721

£1219.95 for the body + 16-50  f2-2.8... but out of stock. All the stock is really low in Europe. 

Shutting down? Who the hell knows. 

trust me it's worth it. This camera is just amazing and I've owned a gh4 & a7s. It's a perfect balance between the two and has its strengths that make it unique. I prefer the aesthetic of the super 35mm crop, makes it easier to go from deep depth of field to shallow. Dont forget you can adapt canon,nikon,canon fd and m42 lenses and they tend to look better cuz of the lack of the anti aliasing filter. If anyrhing I would wait till Adobe supports h.265 natively because transcoding gives you mixed results

So a few months back, I made a contact with a Samsung representative in hopes to become an official Samsung "Imagelogger." (AKA - sponsored filmmaker).  We've been in contact, even this week, and he's been fairly optimistic about joining their team. That's not to say I'm in or out, it's just to say... if they were shutting down their professional camera division, I don't think they would still be actively recruiting "imageloggers" or even talking with filmmakers about the prospect of being sponsored in 2016. 

But maybe I'm connecting too many dots(?)

All this is part of PAID MEDIA reports and rumours by Samsung's Competitors.

Atleast 90% (by a very conservative estimate) of Media, Domestic and Global, lives off paid News and Propaganda. 

Since Samsung is the No.1 mobile phone company too, the same paid news and propaganda is making itself felt with its mobile phone division. And since Xiaomi and Huawei are catching on in terms of numbers with other mobile phone companies  (or surpassing them), Paid News against them is circulating too. 

I hope samsung has learned the lesson, we all remember how awful NX1 was at the launch. Although most of the issues are solved and it's much better now, it took samsung a few months to do so. However the first impression cannotbe changed anymore, if we google "samsung NX1 video review" now we will see a big "frustrating !" as a first result. It seems people don't trust Samsung as a camera manufacturer and such impression is hard to change, it's a big problem.

I hope samsung has learned the lesson, we all remember how awful NX1 was at the launch. Although most of the issues are solved and it's much better now, it took samsung a few months to do so. However the first impression cannotbe changed anymore, if we google "samsung NX1 video review" now we will see a big "frustrating !" as a first result. It seems people don't trust Samsung as a camera manufacturer and such impression is hard to change, it's a big problem.

A big part of that problem was that it wasn't a Canikon, and therefore no matter what it's strengths were, it was going to be "disappointing" because it didn't have that "indefinable quality" that the word "Canon" or "Nikon" on the faceplate imparts to your footage.

So a few months back, I made a contact with a Samsung representative in hopes to become an official Samsung "Imagelogger." (AKA - sponsored filmmaker).  We've been in contact, even this week, and he's been fairly optimistic about joining their team. That's not to say I'm in or out, it's just to say... if they were shutting down their professional camera division, I don't think they would still be actively recruiting "imageloggers" or even talking with filmmakers about the prospect of being sponsored in 2016. 

But maybe I'm connecting too many dots(?)

that was one of my points. I personally know one of their photographers that recently received their sponsorship. Maybe they are using all this data from all these sources from the blogs to imageloggers to learn what direction to take with marketing & development ?

Take what you will from this ... rang one of the Samsung stores here in Hong Kong (Telford Centre) today and asked if they had any NX1's or NX1 kits in stock. He said "No, the NX1 has been discontinued by Samsung and we are not able to buy any more stock." I said, "So they are not producing it any more?" and he said, "Yes, that is correct it is no longer in production". He seemed to know what he was talking about.

After everything I've read, I reckon they are indeed shutting down the camera side of things. I'm looking for a used one here in HK but there doesn't seem to be any.

Take what you will from this ... rang one of the Samsung stores here in Hong Kong (Telford Centre) today and asked if they had any NX1's or NX1 kits in stock. He said "No, the NX1 has been discontinued by Samsung and we are not able to buy any more stock." I said, "So they are not producing it any more?" and he said, "Yes, that is correct it is no longer in production". He seemed to know what he was talking about.

After everything I've read, I reckon they are indeed shutting down the camera side of things. I'm looking for a used one here in HK but there doesn't seem to be any.

wow. All we could hope for now is these units start going for cheap and someone donates one to magic lantern to hack it ! I wouldn't invest in samsung lenses to be on the safe side in case this is all one big mistake

I was looking around 6 months ago and now I'm looking around again at NX1 stuff. I've noticed a big difference in the availability of the camera. 

Also Samsung Camera haven't put a new video on their Youtube channel for 4 months. Before they had videos uploaded monthly. 

Not looking good but hey, life goes on! :)

Maybe a NX2 coming out ? ^^; 

In France and Italy, some big online sellers have stopped to sell NX products in the past few weeks ...
May be it is time to sell all our NX gear quickly.

I would if there was anything better out there... :/ 

I've been offered a NX1 with a 16-50mm S and 50-150mm S lens for around £2000 ($3000). This for me is cheaper than a brand new A7rii/A7sii. However with the worry of the camera buisness being shut down its a hard choice! What do you guys think?

I've been offered a NX1 with a 16-50mm S and 50-150mm S lens for around £2000 ($3000). This for me is cheaper than a brand new A7rii/A7sii. However with the worry of the camera buisness being shut down its a hard choice! What do you guys think?

Go for it.

You can always eBay it if Samsung shut down support for the camera.

This is very unlikely and anyway even if they do, your camera doesn't stop shooting amazing 4K video does it?