jacoblewis

Is Samsung shutting down their camera business?

Thanks for the link : So if you compare on the website you posted, the NX1 is available in like 20 shops vs 150 for the A7S...

But as for me I live in France, if I wanted to buy a NX1 today I would have to import from Italy or Germany...

That's just insane. 

I live on a military base. I am active duty us navy and I got mines just fine off of amazon lol

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Spoke to a big retailer in Berlin who said Samsung's camera sales were incredibly low.

C'mon peoples of the world why are you not buying into a great system. NX500 and NX1 are wonderful. The 30mm and 16mm are fast and cheap as mirrorless lenses go. Great performers both.

So Samsung are faced with very low sales but massive R&D and marketing expenditure.

Do they pull the plug or change strategy?

I think a change of strategy first. They've done it before with cameras.

It could be that they will merge camera business with smart devices area, create a entirely new kind of camera that is sold alongside tablets and smartphones.

Like the Galaxy mirrorless camera... oh that didn't sell either!

Spoke to a big retailer in Berlin who said Samsung's camera sales were incredibly low.

C'mon peoples of the world why are you not buying into a great system. NX500 and NX1 are wonderful. The 30mm and 16mm are fast and cheap as mirrorless lenses go. Great performers both.

So Samsung are faced with very low sales but massive R&D and marketing expenditure.

It could be that they will merge camera business with smart devices area, create a entirely new kind of camera that is sold alongside tablets and smartphones.

You go on to answer your own question.  I've been telling you guys you simply can't have an industry like consumer/prosumer cameras with 5-6 major players.  The Samsung lenses are expensive and limited.  The mount isn't very adaptable.  The initial investment to get you Canon levels of functionality are prohibitive.  The 16-50mm f/2-2.8 OIS is $1,300!  I have no idea if the lens is better than the Canon 17-55mm 2.8 IS but the Canon is less than $800 and it is a really good lens.  It is okay to have a $1,300 lens but why not have a damn good lens for $800 as well to give the consumer choice?  As a new comer in a crowded space you can't price your line the way Samsung has.

And I have to disagree with you that it is "a great system."  It's a great camera with a handful of good lenses... a number of which are very expensive.  Canon is a great system.  It has a number of weak points but it is the definition of a system.  We all know ten years from now our Canon lenses will still be in demand.  10 years from now NX mount lenses may be a historical curiosity.

it really is a shame. It's been 2 weeks since I've own an nx1 and I love everything from the ergonomics to the images it produces. It's not perfect but it's a breath of fresh air from what's available and fits my needs without killing my wallet. They should totally do away with their pocket cameras and dump their phone tech into a pro body. Either way this news could either mean to abandon the system or pick up cheap Samsung nx lenses when everyone starts panicking and selling their equipment lol

B&H is selling that combo for $2,400 new with discount.  Depending on where you live you will be waiting awhile for that deal.

I'm in the US, and I'm fairly confident I will get one for that price in the next 1-2 months. Like I said, $1900 refurb on ebay right now, which is basically $1800 once or twice a month when ebay does their bucks promotion. I have also seen several used in excellent condition go for just below this.

B&H is selling that combo for $2,400 new with discount.  Depending on where you live you will be waiting awhile for that deal.

They regularly have this $2,399 deal (and $1,199 for the body), I bought one at that price during NAB time. So, doesn't mean much.

Camera sales in general or NX1 sales in particular?

Most retailers who did carry Samsung cameras only carried the older consumer models. No one is debating the idea that those didn't sell well. But is the same true for the NX1? Remember, those were going on backorder frequently when the camera was released, so they must have been selling them at least as fast as they were making them.

I just bought an NX1 and 16-50S, they are brilliant. Although NX1 is not perfect, I still like it a lot more than my sony so I've just sold all my sony stuff that I bought since NEX7. It's a pity I have to sell my ZM lenses as well, they don't fit on the NX.

But I'm not quite into the AF lenses. I use ZF.2 lenses for video now, really thinking of picking up a milvus 35 for it. The 16-50S is great and I'm quite satisfied with the image quality, manual focus works pretty well, I can even put it on a follow focus because the manual focus of the 16-50S is "linear", while sony lenses I have are not.

People around me don't quite know samsung has cameras, and many of them believe the NX is crap because the galaxy they have makes them believe so... What a shame.

I just bought an NX1 and 16-50S, they are brilliant. Although NX1 is not perfect, I still like it a lot more than my sony so I've just sold all my sony stuff that I bought since NEX7. It's a pity I have to sell my ZM lenses as well, they don't fit on the NX.

But I'm not quite into the AF lenses. I use ZF.2 lenses for video now, really thinking of picking up a milvus 35 for it. The 16-50S is great and I'm quite satisfied with the image quality, manual focus works pretty well, I can even put it on a follow focus because the manual focus of the 16-50S is "linear", while sony lenses I have are not.

People around me don't quite know samsung has cameras, and many of them believe the NX is crap because the galaxy they have makes them believe so... What a shame.

I'm on the fence - really just looking for a small capable body that isn't a Sony (been shooting Sony for years and fancy something radically different to play around with). 

I'd want the NX1 for stills too. If the NX line is to be cancelled - the investment will lose value very quickly. So I'm a but hesitant of making that investment. 

Samsung could be really innovative and make their own electronic adapters for Canon and Nikon lenses, bring out a new NX2 body and market the shit out of it. Give the bodies to all the popular blogs (photo and video), get feedback, tweak and release an absolute monster that people WILL take notice of. 

They have a unique product already so it would be a shame not to have the competitiveness from a very capable and innovative company. 

I tend to believe this rumor is true or going to come true. Too much smoke to not have a fire. One reason I believe that is Samsung's terrible marketing and distribution: in the US (at least in the midwest) you can't actually go to a store and look at the NX1. I must have called 4-5 camera stores and they all laughed at me when I told them I was looking for a Samsung NX1. Bestbuy, who has some kind of partnership with Samsung, and a portion of their store dedicated to their products, didn't even have the Samsung NX1 on display.

Samsung must have been completely expecting all US customers to purchase online.

I'm on the fence - really just looking for a small capable body that isn't a Sony (been shooting Sony for years and fancy something radically different to play around with). 

I'd want the NX1 for stills too. If the NX line is to be cancelled - the investment will lose value very quickly. So I'm a but hesitant of making that investment. 

Samsung could be really innovative and make their own electronic adapters for Canon and Nikon lenses, bring out a new NX2 body and market the shit out of it. Give the bodies to all the popular blogs (photo and video), get feedback, tweak and release an absolute monster that people WILL take notice of. 

They have a unique product already so it would be a shame not to have the competitiveness from a very capable and innovative company. 

I'm a little worried too even though the NX1 is a damn good camera. I too have left Sony as I feel like they are better on paper than what I see with my eyes. Good cameras but overhyped and overpriced. I was thinking of playing it safe and getting rid of my nx1 for an a7sii until I seen the black hole errors with it. SOOOO I'm keeping my nx1 and I am only using adapted lenses for it. The only thing that would make me get rid of it is if the gh5 becomes a revolutionary low noise micro 4/3rds camera and then I will use my fd lenses with a speedbooster on it.

I tend to believe this rumor is true or going to come true. Too much smoke to not have a fire. One reason I believe that is Samsung's terrible marketing and distribution: in the US (at least in the midwest) you can't actually go to a store and look at the NX1. I must have called 4-5 camera stores and they all laughed at me when I told them I was looking for a Samsung NX1. Bestbuy, who has some kind of partnership with Samsung, and a portion of their store dedicated to their products, didn't even have the Samsung NX1 on display.

Samsung must have been completely expecting all US customers to purchase online.

To be fair, you are probably not going to see ANY current camera at the NX1 level on display at Best Buy. At least that is the case with the stores around where I live. The only prosumer type cameras they have are old 5D3 and 7D types. Nothing that has been released in the last two years anyway, not from any manufacturer. The latest Sony a7 camera they have is the original a7, nothing any more recent than that, for example. The thing with them is that they sell mass consumer products, not niche products, so mostly what they have are Rebels and similar sorts of cameras.

I live in a city of 2 million people, and thus far I have seen no 7D2, no XC10, no a7RII, no a7II, no a7S, no a7SII at all. No doubt someone has one on display somewhere, but for the most part if you want cameras like that you have to order them in.

Personally I still think I've done the right thing selling all my sony stuff. Years of annoying little issues driving me away of sony. Now there is A7S2, it shoots crazy good photos/videos but I'm just not impressed because after trying it for a while I feel the little issues are always in the way. At least I feel much better with NX1 at the moment, so I didn't go for the A7S2 and bought an NX1 instead.

But I'm looking forward to canon do something in the mirrorless market. The C300II looks awesome, I'm wondering what they can do with a small mirrorless body.

Making electronic adapter for canon and nikon lenses may end up with patent issue, law sues etc., a good way to give trouble to the opponents. I think electronic adapters will only be available from 3rd party manufacturers. I wish metabones has adapters for canon lenses.

I don't get why Samsung is not saying anythng good or bad? 
I mean I spent €1300 for this camera and if it's a dead camera after a few months I sure would like to know it.

On YouTube Samsung USA (I guess) had the NX1 commercial uploaded with millions of views...now it's gone or I can't find it.