jacoblewis

Is Samsung shutting down their camera business?

On 7/31/2016 at 5:07 AM, sandro said:

It is pretty insane to think that it commands $2,799.99 for a camera (and an interesting 16-50mm f/2.0-2.8 lens), whose system is almost done with. Shouldn't Amazon be trying to get rid of all cameras, at the earliest? 

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 8/2/2016 at 7:37 AM, sanveer said:

It is pretty insane to think that it commands $2,799.99 for a camera (and an interesting 16-50mm f/2.0-2.8 lens), whose system is almost done with. Shouldn't Amazon be trying to get rid of all cameras, at the earliest? 

I paid $2200, new... for this same package... before it was discontinued. I believe they will be sitting on these for some time.

I was just wondering... Samsung dropped the camera business because of low sales... what about brands like Fujifilm, Leica and Olympus do they really sell more cameras than Samsung used to? Since the digital era I haven't seen anyone using those digital cameras. 

I'm sure of it. What they have in common is that they've been around for ages, when film was still a thing and they've had some really remarkable things going on for them that put them in the spotlights for people to recognize them as camera brands to consider. Also, they're very consistent and deliver. And yes, I've seen tons of people using Olympus and Fujis. Which are especially popular with enthusiasts, hipsters and more so: Asian tourists (travelling a lot, built small, small hands). 'Muricans you'll more often find walking around with a 5DmkIII, because in the land of the free you go big or go home; good workout too. Plus, Leica is exclusive, it's like a Lamborghini. You don't see a lot of them, because not everyone owns one. The less sold, the more exclusive the group of people that own one. So... they jack up the price. I mean, they've even rebranded cameras like the LX7 and LX100, removed the fluff like a grip and threw a red dot on there, selling it at a whopping premium.

Samsung... new guy to the table, building a system from scratch. No real imaging history, no reputation, no lenses, no third party accessories availlable yet, really. They had to build from the ground up, so that was a mediocre start at best, not very interesting stuff, not very effective marketing. That was until they came out with the NX1 and NX500 and worked out the kinks, but I think they were expecting too much in too little time and threw in the towel too soon. This was supposed to set them back on the map and redefine their course, making them recognized as a camera brand. But they hit it and quit it. No time to build a solid reputation on that one generation cameras. I also think, because Samsung wasn't really recognized as a camera brand, they didn't manage to get as much people paying the hefty (although justified) price of the NX1-range and S-lenses. In the end, I think only the select few that really realized the forward thinking and 4K that was going on went for it. People who just don't know and don't care just walk into a store and let the sales guy pitch them a T6i/750D. Maybe they should've bought the rights of the Kodak brand and bring cameras out under that name or something. Neways. Gotta be honest, maybe I saw someone using a NX300 in the wild once, but never stumbled upon someone actually shooting the NX500/NX1 or any other. But hey, Samsung felt the love was gone, so they broke up. Tough luck. Best to get on with it.

We're lucky to have one then ;) I just wish I could have afforded the 16-50 and 50-150m S lenses. And now that they should be sold for peanuts they're completely gone and the ones used for sale are more expensive than when they came out!

The system is still relevant, so the prices are still high. This is an indication of how wrong people back in November were trying to sell low out of fear. They have spend more money since then, just to NOT achieve same performamce (especially people that went the Canon M way, then m4/3, and then Sony or Fuji). The truth is that Fuji is just starting to catch up, I consider a6300 a vast inferior cam(in every day use, not in specs, but even there..), Canonikon is out of the picture (except if you consider the 50/60fps of 80D a groundbreaking addition, or the NX500 4K crop on a 2000$/€ Nikon the best thing ever happened to dSLR videography), and we all are waiting to see if there is going to be a variable sensor (LS300 style) to the GH5 to make it truly the most outstanding hybrid. Until then, NX1 is the one to beat.

If the S lenses are out of your league, I do not understand your constant complaining about the NX line. Do you know how much the NX1 plus S lenses cost? If you can't afford that, there is no chance of you to upgrade in any other system (Fuji/Sony A7s-rII/Canon 5DmkIII with L lenses etc. Even a6300 with the new Sony lenses are double the price).

Juat enjoy what you have, and if you are not enjoying your equipment, try Panasonic or a6300.

From what I've gathered there's some tweaking done, allowing for it to take a little longer to quit on you. But people still get warnings and system shutdowns. That paired with the rolling shutter and Sony color (and channel clipping) and I still can't get myself to get one (which I did want so badly when the A6300 was anticipated, I even have the E-mount conversion for the Veydras lying around already, because I was certain the A6300 was going to kick ass). On paper and in practice unfortunately are two worlds apart. NX1 probably still delivers the superior shooting experience.

X-T2 sounds good, though! Too bad, like the A6300, there's no in-body sensor stabilization. For now, my hopes are with the Pansonic system. I'm not expecting much from the next Oympus, but wouldn't mind being surprised by them. Of course, the best thing might be if Sony actually made something solid and reliable with good color, rolling shutter effects in limits and in-body image stabilization. APS-C allows for a little bit better performance and it's easier to create a shallow depth of field and go wide, so it appeals somewhat more than MFT. Who knows, Sony believes in short generation gaps, so maybe the next is just around the corner...

2 hours ago, Kisaha said:

If the S lenses are out of your league, I do not understand your constant complaining about the NX line. Do you know how much the NX1 plus S lenses cost? If you can't afford that, there is no chance of you to upgrade in any other system (Fuji/Sony A7s-rII/Canon 5DmkIII with L lenses etc. Even a6300 with the new Sony lenses are double the price).

Other systems have third party lenses, Samsung never allowed any to develop. I'm not changing system anytime soon...

The Nikon 1 line has been replaced with the DL cameras.

They realised the target audience weren't too much into interchangeable lenses, especially a range of lenses as uninspired as the 1 series.

Also the J1 range was very low end... low end is dead due to smartphones.

The DL moves things up into the more profitable 'high-end compact' market and solves the problem.... for now...

Yeah, I guess 1" interchangeable might not be exciting enough, also not without a massive system behind it. Guess why a lot of people don't even know the Samsung NX Mini line-up existed. You either go significant enough, or go home. As well as indeed smartphones stepping it up.

Nikon DLs any good? On paper they seem to rival cams such as the Panasonic LX and Sony RX-series, but I have never really been convinced by a Nikon compact. I only use one in daylight situations where the crop and range helps me to close-in on subjects. For stills. Video is pretty much terrible.

Sooner or later, Nikon have to go the  M way. If they succeed or not, will define the company (and the survival of it) for the years to come.

Sony is closing down significantly and if they last (and it seems that they are full into the game, but with not much profit really) Nikon can not compete with all this electronics technology. Canon in a way struggles to produce groundbreaking cameras, and they have to go mirrorless as well, but they already have a (underwhelming) line (with the right name), and they are the big C, they have more time/resources/technology to catch up on the mirrorless race. Canon has to go mobile as well, licensing tech(and most importantly their name) to mobile phone manufacturers. Their dual AF tech is a very good start.

Everyone has to limit their models thought, the market is shrinking and leads to hybrid cameras and more specialized ones.

I do believe that Nikon can offer their legacy, photo expertise, lenses and branding, and Samsung the technology and manufacturing process (the insides of NX1/NX500 are a masterpiece of engineering, simple, clean and very efficient) and do something really great. It is a pitty so much technology go to waste, and Nikon/Samsung do not have video/cine cameras to protect.

A full frame NXF with all the Samsung technology (new BSI full frame sensor, IBIS) optimized for video and taking all the NX(crop mode) and Nikon lenses would been the undeniable best seller for the latest years of this decade. It could last easily 3-4 years.

I know it is a dream, but it makes perfect sense from a business standpoint.

On 8/6/2016 at 4:58 PM, DBounce said:

I paid $2200, new... for this same package... before it was discontinued. I believe they will be sitting on these for some time.

I've seen discontinued cameras go back to a premium price once the camera is discontinued. So maybe this is a sign Samsung US inventories are low?