jacoblewis

Is Samsung shutting down their camera business?

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 10:49 PM, Liam said:

Not really. I remember when the camera was released you could get the body, but not the pro kit. Apparently the problem was a shortfall of the S lens. Most likely the inventory of the body exceeds the inventory of the lens, hence the differences in what is available.

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The Unofficial Withdrawal of the NX1 has crated far more followers for Samsung than all the advertisements Samsung did for it.

Maybe it is time for Samsung to Create an NX2, with a great Log Profile and internal 8 or 10 bit 4-2-2. Or maybe internal ProRes, since they have no C-Line to protect. Also, the H265 isn't as widespread yet as they were hoping. So having more codecs (H264) should help. 

From the looks of things, if they keep the price reasonably low, it might outsell a lot of the competition. 

22 hours ago, sanveer said:

The Unofficial Withdrawal of the NX1 has crated far more followers for Samsung than all the advertisements Samsung did for it.

Maybe it is time for Samsung to Create an NX2, with a great Log Profile and internal 8 or 10 bit 4-2-2. Or maybe internal ProRes, since they have no C-Line to protect. Also, the H265 isn't as widespread yet as they were hoping. So having more codecs (H264) should help. 

From the looks of things, if they keep the price reasonably low, it might outsell a lot of the competition. 

Let's be honest: just about everyone that wanted an NX1 has got one and that's not a lot of people.

Don't get me wrong: I think it's a shame that the NX1 didn't succeed but we're dreaming if we think that Samsung would launch an NX2 and were they to do so, that any significant number of number of people would buy it.

19 hours ago, norliss said:

Let's be honest: just about everyone that wanted an NX1 has got one and that's not a lot of people.

Don't get me wrong: I think it's a shame that the NX1 didn't succeed but we're dreaming if we think that Samsung would launch an NX2 and were they to do so, that any significant number of number of people would buy it.

I love my NX1, but given Samsung's behavior, I doubt even I would buy an NX2.

Hi,

I am posting here because I really had a hard time with my NX1. I got it 4 times sent to the repair & finally got my money back.
Especially in stills mode, in many situations, it was virtually not possible to get focus on the desired subject (FW1.4). No matter if AF or MF with focus peaking, no matter what lens (30mm lens, S-lens, Kit lens & Old minolta MD 50mm). It seems like the systems decides in the last moment by itself on what to focus on. Especially in the presence of a high contrast background, I found the background to be in focus, not the subject (faces are almost impossible to focus) in front of it. For me, the camera appeared to be very unpredictable - i.e. unreliable to use. Some shots were very good, good as one might expect, mostly landscape shots, in the next moment I got very unsharp & noisy results under the same conditions (heavy noise in dark areas even at low iso), like suffering from an extreme shutter shock. The repair guys told me first, it was the kit lens and changed it. But it was quite clear that the behavior was not due to the lens. I posted some shots here: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/57024088
I am not sure if I just had a faulty camera or if this is due of a generic hardware issue (maybe limited to a certain chunk of the production). I found quite a few postings of people experiencing similar problems - some even claiming that they are using the video mode for shooting stills because focussing be better there. So my question is, are you having similar issues? I own an old Sony NEX for comparison & I never got results as sharp and focussed on the NX1. 
I am asking because I'm sitting in the middle of a bunch of NX lenses and have to decide wether to buy another NX1 hoping it is not a generic fault, or to sell all the glass.
Thanks for your opinions,

Stephan 

On 19/03/2016 at 1:20 AM, norliss said:

Hmmm ... I wasn't too sure about the NX1 after it came out, especially due to the H.265 bit (and the Samsung lenses and Samsung ecosystem for DSLRs. After that there was a Firmware update where the dynamic range increased significantly, and the price dropped significantly too. Also, people whobwere testing it starting noticing the amazing bang for the buck, considering what all it could do. 

I can't gor everyone else, but it's after the many (later) review that it got me interested. 

Still make sense to buy NX1?

It will be my main camera for aprox 2 years for short narrative, some music vids, run n gun short docs and casual stills.

Im planning to get it with the 16-50 S and use my Nikon Ai primes set. 

My other option is Nikon D750 with 24-120.

I've had m43 cameras (gh2, bmpcc, gh4) for the last few years and id rather have something different now that I've sold all the native glass.

I wouldn't let the decision depend on the fact Samsung's still in it to win it or not. The cat's out of the bag... the NX1 is in the wild. It's not like they're going to recall them. You can still enjoy having one. If anything, prices should drop and you can get a bit of a bargain out of it.

I would let the decision depend on the fact I'd perhaps prefer the more flexibility in video features of the NX1... the 4K, the HFR. If not, the D750 seems to be one of the better 1080p cameras out there, has that better lowlight and it's super duper amazing for stills.

All Samsung cameras are now gone from B&H's new camera section: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Mirrorless-System-Cameras/ci/16158/N/4288586281

They still have a good selection of lenses, though, and the white 50-200mm, which I just ordered, is now $199 or you can get one from their used dept for $20 MORE: 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/916137-REG/samsung_ex_t50200cswus_50_200mm_f4_0_5_6_lens_white.html

2 hours ago, neosushi said:

What ? You mean that it is possible that Samsung just realized that their camera is actually amazing ?

Damn....

The song "eye of the tiger" just started playing in my head.

All joking aside... Samsung Camera manufacturing is dead! :( 

Various NX1 options including the "body only" are listed as discontinued, as much as people want it to live on, it's dead. Enjoy your camera, but face it, Samsung couldn't turn a profit so they moved on. The NX line is dead outside of Korea. 

Hi, just signed up on this forum since it looks to be the only one with any NX1 info now. 

I noticed that I can no longer find their app that controls the camera, Samsung Camera Manager Inst, on the Google Play store anymore.  It was there a week ago or so.  That makes no sense for them to pull it when it did work, even with its issues with the latest Android.

50 minutes ago, jacoblewis said:

The Samsung Booth at NAB 2016.

When asked why Samsung is shutting down their camera department, Steve from Samsung said "I have no fucking clue."

IMG_9955.JPG

Were they even showing off any cameras?

Steve: "I have no fucking clue... All I know is I brought a stack of my resumes to hand out at other booths." lol

27 minutes ago, MountneerMan said:

Were they even showing off any cameras?

Steve: "I have no fucking clue... All I know is I brought a stack of my resumes to hand out at other booths." lol

Why? They still sell other products relevant to the industry.