jacoblewis

Is Samsung shutting down their camera business?

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
10 minutes ago, Bobk said:

That's the Galaxy S7 - a smartphone.

oh that bullshit. ANOTHER Samsung phone. I guess that's how they make the bulk of their money these days, I'm not holding my breath for another camera nor do I expect them to sell it off. It's all gonna go to their mobile phone division

13 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

Have you experienced any macroblocking with the camera ? The macroblocking is starting to become unpredictable in my footage. I've shot somethig at f8 100iso with gamma c and seen macroblocking in the midtone areas of the image. I tried to throw some grain on it with no luck. Im wondering if I am doing something wrong or is the h.265 totally unpredictable with its compression scheme

We need higher bitrate... according my experience is H265 is not able to render lot of details without macroblocking (eg. leaves on the trees). Shallower depth of field can help...  

17 hours ago, tugela said:

Samsung announced the S7 today....complete with dual pixel focusing technology. We know who that belongs to. If there was a technology swap for the respective industries, I think we have a pretty good idea why the NX line was shut down now.

Expect to see technology from the NX1 project to start appearing in Canon's mirrorless cameras. Specifically the processors, and probably sensors as well. Perhaps some of the other innovations as well, such as the iFn button and the DMF function.

If Samsung needed a tech or patents swap that drastic for Dual Pixel AF, then it makes me wonder what the others had to do to get it - Sony have it (A6300), Olympus have it (E-M1), Panasonic made the sensor in the E-M1, Fujifilm have it (X-T1 and others), Apple have it (iPhone 6S) and hell I expect even Nikon have it in something like the 1 series on Aptina sensors and now Sony sensors.

So I hardly think Canon have exclusivity on all the dual pixel AF patents.

I think the NX1 has gone due to economics, the NX line as a whole has gone for the same reason, poor sales and profits, Samsung sell one line of cameras and those are their smartphones - hardly think they wanted to undermine their most important best selling product line with a range of mirrorless cameras. Number one nightmare in Samsung manager's heads would be everyone using an Apple smartphone and Samsung mirrorless camera.

3 hours ago, Pavel Mašek said:

We need higher bitrate... according my experience is H265 is not able to render lot of details without macroblocking (eg. leaves on the trees). Shallower depth of field can help...  

Ah ha ! So it isn't just me...deep depth of field has been a nightmare for me and diffusion doesn't help much. Gonna run even more tests today but you are absolutely right we need a higher bit rate

5 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

If Samsung needed a tech or patents swap that drastic for Dual Pixel AF, then it makes me wonder what the others had to do to get it - Sony have it (A6300), Olympus have it (E-M1), Panasonic made the sensor in the E-M1, Fujifilm have it (X-T1 and others), Apple have it (iPhone 6S) and hell I expect even Nikon have it in something like the 1 series on Aptina sensors and now Sony sensors.

So I hardly think Canon have exclusivity on all the dual pixel AF patents.

I think the NX1 has gone due to economics, the NX line as a whole has gone for the same reason, poor sales and profits, Samsung sell one line of cameras and those are their smartphones - hardly think they wanted to undermine their most important best selling product line with a range of mirrorless cameras. Number one nightmare in Samsung manager's heads would be everyone using an Apple smartphone and Samsung mirrorless camera.

If poor sales was the issue then they would have just stopped development and continued sales. Most of the investment had already been done up front (development and setting up manufacturing) - actually making the product is only a small portion of the overall cost. As long as no new investment was required, they could have continue selling the products even with weak sales and still made money. 

Normally your current product has to be able to fund the development of the next product as well as pay for its own manufacturing. Net profit only comes after those two things are paid for. But if there is no further development, the bar to achieve net profit is lowered by a lot.

An abrupt withdrawal from the market like the one Samsung did is generally caused by one of two things: (A) the company went bankrupt (and it clearly hasn't); or (B) The IP has been sold to another party.

On 2/22/2016 at 8:18 AM, Andrew Reid said:

Those are just sensors with PDAF on the sensor. DPAF is more than that.

FWIW, yesterday I noticed for the first time that Samsung is no longer selling the NX1 directly on their [USA] website. The green "buy" button is gone; there's only a button for "find online or locally". 

17 hours ago, pureaxis said:

The Samsung NX500 is listed as discontinued on both B&H and Adorama. Looks like things are winding down for Samsung. NX1 still in stock tho.

That is bad news!

Oh dang it actually says discontinued!

I'll easily buy an NX1 if it drops below a thousand new and I can get an S lens (used) for less than $800

I might buy an NX500 instead if it is available at the $400 range and I can get the S lens for less than $800.

The hacking is what is spurring me to get this over a Sony a6300 (and the touchscreen, better battery, no overheating issues).

Honestly though, I feel like the image one gets out of the NX1 and 500 and very comparable to the images I can get out my OnePlus One or newer phone with the Cinema 4k app. They kind of have a very similar image signature. This includes the kind of slightly jerky video.

The images I've seen from the Sony a6300, however, look to be in a different league IMO. Even though the rolling shutter seems worse, the video seems smoother, and DR is definitely better. The lowlight and continuous video AF performance are other major factors in my confusion.

7 minutes ago, vaga said:

I'll easily buy an NX1 if it drops below a thousand new and I can get an S lens (used) for less than $800

Im selling one under $800 and the NX1 went south of $1K some time ago in many countries. You can see the lens in thr gear for sale thread if interested.