jacoblewis

Is Samsung shutting down their camera business?

2 hours ago, Don Kotlos said:

I would seriously take a look at the Sony A6300. The downsampled 4K will be great, AF looks amazing and it comes in a small package. Plus it gives you the ability to use almost any lens (take a look at the Sigma 50-100 f/1.8 that hasn't been officially announced yet). The only real issue is different ergonomics than the NX1 and that is a personal thing.  

Drop like a rock. NX mount is the only place they can be used and as it seems nobody will make an NX camera again. So when the camera goes bad, you will have a useless piece of glass. 

Again, as mentioned in the previous point lenses are the big caveat here. If you go with adapted lenses such as Nikon AI/s then it might be alright but then you don't really take advantage of the resolution that NX1 has to offer. Personally the NX1 has to be coupled with the 16-50mm f/2-2.8 lens, and unless you don't care about the resale value then it is still a lot of money to waste when there are alternatives. 

Any high resolution lens will work. He doesn't need the 16-50 to reap the benefits of the sensor. Currently I am using the Zeiss Milvus line of glass with great results.

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

Any high resolution lens will work. He doesn't need the 16-50 to reap the benefits of the sensor. Currently I am using the Zeiss Milvus line of glass with great results.

Correct, these would work great too. 

I could easily see the gain in image quality on the NX1 with any lens.

Since its only $640 for a new one Im mighty tempted to get one to use with old Nikons and m42s.

But having the nx500 is holding me back (can return it until sunday).

But I would have no problem buying (and have) a few nx lenses. I can sell them together with the camera in a few years. They are so cheap they wont loose much value.

Plus, Samsung might pick it up again.

8 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Since its only $640 for a new one Im mighty tempted to get one to use with old Nikons and m42s.

But I would have no problem buying (and have) a few nx lenses. I can sell them together with the camera in a few years. They are so cheap they wont loose much value.

Im 50/50 on using old lenses with this body. In video at least it does some weird processing that creates artifacting with older lenses. Like weird sharpening artifacts like its trying to boost apparent resolution of lower resolution details. But for the price/quality you cant beat the old glass. If its in your budget i'd go with a modern lens setup like zeiss zf, milvus. For old glass id do nikon ais for sure

5 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

I have a complete set of Zeiss Jenas that I used on the NX1. Payed $0 for them :)

Here is an old test with the 35mm f2.8 (I have the f2.4 version today).

Yeah, I remember watching this when you first put it up. Wonderful stuff Sir!
In fact aside from Slow-Mo 120frames stuff, THIS video was what convinced me to get the NX1.

And how'd you get Jenas for free, mate? Somebody die and leave them to you?

6 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

I have a complete set of Zeiss Jenas that I used on the NX1. Payed $0 for them :)

Here is an old test with the 35mm f2.8 (I have the f2.4 version today).

Looks great to me, Matthias. Thanks for posting.

Don't know how much longer I want to wait. Tomorrow is the last day of the NX1 discount, but I imagine it'll be back - the same discount was offered in December. Not thrilled about the A6300's lack of touchscreen, and someone at DPR spoke of  a "tiny hand cramping grip, poor controls...and no easy way to change AF points". It also lacks a headphone jack, though that alone isn't a deal breaker.

I'm not experienced enough to know whether I'd be OK with the limitations of the NX1 in the lens department (i.e., no active adapter, no speedbooster), but that old Zeiss seems to do fine...

I hate how Samsung has behaved, but still the NX1 seems to still offer great bang for the buck, especially for someone like me who won't be doing paid gigs.

Thanks everyone for your input!

42 minutes ago, Bobk said:

Looks great to me, Matthias. Thanks for posting.

Don't know how much longer I want to wait. Tomorrow is the last day of the NX1 discount, but I imagine it'll be back - the same discount was offered in December. Not thrilled about the A6300's lack of touchscreen, and someone at DPR spoke of  a "tiny hand cramping grip, poor controls...and no easy way to change AF points". It also lacks a headphone jack, though that alone isn't a deal breaker.

I'm not experienced enough to know whether I'd be OK with the limitations of the NX1 in the lens department (i.e., no active adapter, no speedbooster), but that old Zeiss seems to do fine...

I hate how Samsung has behaved, but still the NX1 seems to still offer great bang for the buck, especially for someone like me who won't be doing paid gigs.

Thanks everyone for your input!

It's a great camera, just don't buy the lenses. Or get the cheap pancakes, some nice little lenses.

7 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Have you had a chance to give the NX500 a good workout? I'd love to see what you can do with it. 

11 minutes ago, mercer said:

It's a great camera, just don't buy the lenses.

Why not - because they're expensive and aren't usable on other brands' bodies? Everything I've heard about the "S" lenses has been very positive.

35 minutes ago, Bobk said:

Why not - because they're expensive and aren't usable on other brands' bodies? Everything I've heard about the "S" lenses has been very positive.

Yes. Nice lenses but way too expensive for a dying mount. IMO. 

3 hours ago, mercer said:

It's a great camera, just don't buy the lenses. Or get the cheap pancakes, some nice little lenses.

Have you had a chance to give the NX500 a good workout? I'd love to see what you can do with it. 

No, not yet. Still dark when I go to work as well as when I come home. And the weekend is only so long. But soon I hope.

3 hours ago, mercer said:

Yes. Nice lenses but way too expensive for a dying mount. IMO. 

The S is coming down a bit. The price before the recent drop to $640 for the NX1 body only was, $2200 for the NX1 + S combo.

When its reduced the maximum used price will be around $1-1.2k for the combo.

5 hours ago, DPStewart said:

And how'd you get Jenas for free, mate? Somebody die and leave them to you?

Got them included when buying some stuff. Sold some of it and turned profit. So I pretty much got payed to take the lenses.

On February 19, 2016 at 0:28 PM, kidzrevil said:

I really like older glass on the NX1 - what you want to be sharp, is sharp. What you want soft is soft. There are dozens and dozens of models of Nikkors alone, across the decades, that were/are professional quality lenses and look amazing on the NX1. I only have the kit zoom (16-50) as a native lens, and while it looks great great great wide open (f3.5) I find when you get to f8 or so the sharpness (mixed with the NX processing) can be kind of bizarre and unreal looking. A pro-quality Nikkor just looks gorgeous. On interviews, the NX sensor can be just too damn sharp and detailed - a nice Nikkor (I use the 28-70 2.8 maybe 60% of the time, wasn't my favorite 1080 lens but the NX loves it) is really perfect on it.

Native NX color rendering has sometimes looked "too much" for my tastes as well, though this can be controlled.

The only thing the NX lenses "take advantage of" - to me anyway - is OIS and AF, when you need those. There's not a huge need for them for standard "filmmaking" type shots. Hollywood has done without OIS and AF for how many decades? Nice to have certainly, but for many users not necessary.

I haven't shot anything worth posting, but 1960's era Canon FL glass is really promising on the NX1 - from wide open to F4 or so, there's a lovely almost diffused look, but details are crisp. This is very cheap glass, built like a tank, easy to breakdown for cleaning, some with LONG focus throws, and were top-of-the-line lenses when they were introduced. I am finding that upping saturation and black level is a good idea unless you want a full-on arty look. 

EDIT - posted some grabs in the lenses section, but here's the 1960's era Canon FL, 100mm 3.5, wide open. $15 lens. Frame grab from 4k.SAM_0019.jpg.352f51e64af9411cfb55bdc1aeb

2 hours ago, M Carter said:

I really like older glass on the NX1 - what you want to be sharp, is sharp. What you want soft is soft. There are dozens and dozens of models of Nikkors alone, across the decades, that were/are professional quality lenses and look amazing on the NX1. I only have the kit zoom (16-50) as a native lens, and while it looks great great great wide open (f3.5) I find when you get to f8 or so the sharpness (mixed with the NX processing) can be kind of bizarre and unreal looking. A pro-quality Nikkor just looks gorgeous. On interviews, the NX sensor can be just too damn sharp and detailed - a nice Nikkor (I use the 28-70 2.8 maybe 60% of the time, wasn't my favorite 1080 lens but the NX loves it) is really perfect on it.

Native NX color rendering has sometimes looked "too much" for my tastes as well, though this can be controlled.

The only thing the NX lenses "take advantage of" - to me anyway - is OIS and AF, when you need those. There's not a huge need for them for standard "filmmaking" type shots. Hollywood has done without OIS and AF for how many decades? Nice to have certainly, but for many users not necessary.

I haven't shot anything worth posting, but 1960's era Canon FL glass is really promising on the NX1 - from wide open to F4 or so, there's a lovely almost diffused look, but details are crisp. This is very cheap glass, built like a tank, easy to breakdown for cleaning, some with LONG focus throws, and were top-of-the-line lenses when they were introduced. I am finding that upping saturation and black level is a good idea unless you want a full-on arty look. 

EDIT - posted some grabs in the lenses section, but here's the 1960's era Canon FL, 100mm 3.5, wide open. $15 lens. Frame grab from 4k.SAM_0019.jpg.352f51e64af9411cfb55bdc1aeb

I've had a complete different take on the old lenses. Shooting raw with a nikkor or good canon fd lead to excellent results, on video that was a different story. The soft areas you spoke about...my cameras sharpening algorithim would try to sharpen the blurry,coma filled areas shot wide open and create these weird looking sharpening artifacts. It got completely annoying especially in low contrast areas. The only reason I think I stopped experiencing these artifacts or simply don't notice is the fact that the zeiss glass is very contrasty and doesn't have the coma astigmatism of the older glass. The processing of the video really brings down the usability of the older lenses . They would look great on a gh4,canon and sony but on the nx1 video you WILL run into artifacting or an unusable image in my experience. I fully believe that the image processing were optimized for their S line of lenses

That's interesting. Haven't seen it and I've done a lot of gigs with the Nikkors, primarily the 85mm 1.8 and the 28-70. Been shooting much more wide open than I used to to soften things up, too. I'll keep an eye out for it, but so far so good. Posted this frame before but a good example of the soft BG working well.frame1.jpg.bedf3ac1477f739c72a6811c27b47

9 minutes ago, M Carter said:

That's interesting. Haven't seen it and I've done a lot of gigs with the Nikkors, primarily the 85mm 1.8 and the 28-70. Been shooting much more wide open than I used to to soften things up, too. I'll keep an eye out for it, but so far so good. Posted this frame before but a good example of the soft BG working well.frame1.jpg.bedf3ac1477f739c72a6811c27b47

could be a lot of other factors as well. For one I shoot handheld so I can see how that can "confuse" a sharpening algorithim. Most of your work is locked down on a tripod right ? These codecs work at their best with little to no motion so a locked down shot will have less motion based artifacts. All in all I love your work man, whatever your doing keep it up the NX1 and your lens combo's look great in your hands

Thanks man - the kind of gig above, locked down interview and a mix of b-roll and motion graphics. I do a fair amount of handheld with Nikkors at F2.8 - 5.6, and I can avoid heavy sensor skew, but I really hate that "slight" jello where surfaces seem to pulse - that comes from more sort of micro movements in your hands I think -  so I really try to be smooth. 

Though I'm not a huge fan of super-16 sensors, the BM micro camera really interests me w/global shutter and that nice image. If the pocket speedbooster fits it, I could get interested. But I am loving 4k for these one-man-band, sit-down interviews. The clip above, woman with a severely cognitively disabled daughter talking about what a joy the kid is, really emotional stuff - and I could cut in SO TIGHT on her for key statements and detail was just crisp as hell, really like having a 2nd camera.

Samsung announced the S7 today....complete with dual pixel focusing technology. We know who that belongs to. If there was a technology swap for the respective industries, I think we have a pretty good idea why the NX line was shut down now.

Expect to see technology from the NX1 project to start appearing in Canon's mirrorless cameras. Specifically the processors, and probably sensors as well. Perhaps some of the other innovations as well, such as the iFn button and the DMF function.

22 minutes ago, tugela said:

Samsung announced the S7 today....complete with dual pixel focusing technology. We know who that belongs to. If there was a technology swap for the respective industries, I think we have a pretty good idea why the NX line was shut down now.

Expect to see technology from the NX1 project to start appearing in Canon's mirrorless cameras. Specifically the processors, and probably sensors as well. Perhaps some of the other innovations as well, such as the iFn button and the DMF function.

Expect technology from the NX1 project to be burried forever. All hail the C line.

2 hours ago, tugela said:

Wow. Any links to this camera ?

7 hours ago, M Carter said:

Thanks man - the kind of gig above, locked down interview and a mix of b-roll and motion graphics. I do a fair amount of handheld with Nikkors at F2.8 - 5.6, and I can avoid heavy sensor skew, but I really hate that "slight" jello where surfaces seem to pulse - that comes from more sort of micro movements in your hands I think -  so I really try to be smooth. 

Though I'm not a huge fan of super-16 sensors, the BM micro camera really interests me w/global shutter and that nice image. If the pocket speedbooster fits it, I could get interested. But I am loving 4k for these one-man-band, sit-down interviews. The clip above, woman with a severely cognitively disabled daughter talking about what a joy the kid is, really emotional stuff - and I could cut in SO TIGHT on her for key statements and detail was just crisp as hell, really like having a 2nd camera.

Have you experienced any macroblocking with the camera ? The macroblocking is starting to become unpredictable in my footage. I've shot somethig at f8 100iso with gamma c and seen macroblocking in the midtone areas of the image. I tried to throw some grain on it with no luck. Im wondering if I am doing something wrong or is the h.265 totally unpredictable with its compression scheme