jacoblewis

Is Samsung shutting down their camera business?

So Kidzrevil, seeing how you're on the holy quest for glass nirvana, tell me what you want me to shoot for you. I can take a few seconds with the Sigma 35 1.4 ART and Sigma 85 1.4  and upload the original h.265 files to a network share so you can cross those lenses off the list as options or not. 

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

So Kidzrevil, seeing how you're on the holy quest for glass nirvana, tell me what you want me to shoot for you. I can take a few seconds with the Sigma 35 1.4 ART and Sigma 85 1.4  and upload the original h.265 files to a network share so you can cross those lenses off the list as options or not. 

"glass nirvana" lmao ! A portrait and wide shot is really what I would look for. Send it over and i'll grade it and post it ! I know the SIGMA Art lenses are UP there in sharpness and especially color. Im currently doing the eeny meeny miney moe thing between the zeiss milvus and SIGMA lol

Btw. I have bought a NX1 now. I have other expenses so I didn't buy the 16-50 S lens and got just a 30 mm. Quite a camera. Has it's quirks and so, and a very different high-ISO noise behavior compared to what I'm used to. Mostly I really like it. The 30 mm is however not the best low-light lens I assume, and it's quite slow in focusing. Is the 16-50 S faster overall? Have not got any adapters for glass, but so long it would be

Konica Minolta MD - NX for my MD 58 PF 1.4 (portraits, would be equal to a 85 f/1.4 *1.5 roughly)

Sony A - NX just to test a 70-300 G SSM I (I will maybe buy a 50-150 later, but that's later since it's still fairly quite a expense). But this lens has circular blades to I'd like to test at least.

Nikon AF-D/G - NX for all my Nikon glass. Somehow I hope that my Sigma 14 mm f/2.8 paired with NX1 can produce really nice wide angle 1:1 images.

There are a couple of things I miss or would like to add. So if Samsung isn't really doing anything more, it would be nice if they could outsource (by some agreement) the firmware updates to some firm or collective that could do those things. I'd gladly pay some to have FW updates.

What I'd like to add:

1. Direct Zone selector (really fast)

2. Some suggestions about better focusing, but that depends on how the camera is with the S-lenses.

3. Better email via WIF/Bluetooth capacity (have not tested it yet with a android phone). Set-up a senders adress/server/and so on and having a option to not compress images for JPEG-transfers.

Can anyone give me any info on the still capabilities in the NX1. The video capabilities look to be great ( I want one)... how does the stills stack up to the canon's, gh4 (I don't like the lumix still's but love the video) ect. Any info would help me in my making my decision. I love the video capabilities, but I am using Final cut to edit and understand I can't just drop footage directly...and it needs to be converted to progress. Looking at the 7D mark II, NX1 and possibly the GH4. I know thats 3 different camera's but want top notch stills as well as video.

Stills are nice, similar high detail levels to Nikon D800, dynamic range more in the 7D Mark II ballpark though.

Low light is OK. ISO 1600 perfectly usable. Not great at 3200 or beyond.

AF can be very very good... fast and accurate... other times a bit hit and miss.

Ergonomics very 7D-like, great EVF for stills... the 30mm F2.0 pancake is a bargain, the premium S lenses are expensive but stunningly good quality and very snappy focus. The 85mm F1.4 from Samsung is sharper than my Zeiss 85mm F1.4.

for stills it has nothing to envy from other cameras, problem could be lenses...

very adaptable mount for the most part. My nikon lenses focus a tad bit past infinity but at least they hit infinity. Wish there was a speedbooster for it but whatever there are no shortage of lenses out there

very adaptable mount for the most part. My nikon lenses focus a tad bit past infinity but at least they hit infinity. Wish there was a speedbooster for it but whatever there are no shortage of lenses out there

I meant for still with AF, for some projects/jobs you just can't be without.

I meant for still with AF, for some projects/jobs you just can't be without.

I don't know about all that. I think it's all about the technique. I've done a bunch of paid gigs as well of stills of military operations all without autofocus. People were doing demanding jobs in photography way before the production of autofocus lenses,evf's and mirrorless bodies...

I don't know about all that. I think it's all about the technique. I've done a bunch of paid gigs as well of stills of military operations all without autofocus. People were doing demanding jobs in photography way before the production of autofocus lenses,evf's and mirrorless bodies...

I know I actually learned photography in maual focus but I realized in some jobs you just can't be without. I'm working right know on the slopes, so it's sports with very fast movements. Can you imagine manual focusing this in critical situations like a championship? You can't afford to lose focus. I wanted to buy the 18-200 but for almost the same price as a new nikon d5300 + tamron 18-200. Then I realized I was just getting an old system with acceptable 1080p but still a dsrl look. At the same time I found the samsung 18-200 for €100 less and I pulled the trigger and got it while cancelling the nikon order. I'm not sure if I did the right thing considering the bad reviews this lens has and being the nx system dead... It's a shame Samsung left the business cause apart from this 18-200 they also made amazing lenses.

Can anyone give me any info on the still capabilities in the NX1. The video capabilities look to be great ( I want one)... how does the stills stack up 

Absolutely sufficient for most tasks but of course depends on the lenses and the intended use.

I'm a 20+ years Nikon user and since a couple of years - due to more time and since I can afford 'em - trying more and more also other brands. Have the NX1 since a few weeks only but I guess it will be my vacation cam for the summer months. My first impression is that in normal light it can easily compete with any other cam. Only if you need it for special tasks like high-end fashion photography or hard core sports I would look elsewhere. Not because the NX1 is bad but rather because full frame sensors might be the better choice in these cases.

So personally I'll keep my D810 (or D4) or the Sony RX1 for slow landscape photography or for sports or high ISO - but for everything else having the NX1 together with the 16-50 S and the Nikon adapter with other lenses I don't expect to miss anything. 

7 hours ago, sandro said:

I know I actually learned photography in maual focus but I realized in some jobs you just can't be without. I'm working right know on the slopes, so it's sports with very fast movements. Can you imagine manual focusing this in critical situations like a championship? You can't afford to lose focus. I wanted to buy the 18-200 but for almost the same price as a new nikon d5300 + tamron 18-200. Then I realized I was just getting an old system with acceptable 1080p but still a dsrl look. At the same time I found the samsung 18-200 for €100 less and I pulled the trigger and got it while cancelling the nikon order. I'm not sure if I did the right thing considering the bad reviews this lens has and being the nx system dead... It's a shame Samsung left the business cause apart from this 18-200 they also made amazing lenses.

Can you imagine manual focus during flight and combat operations ? I can. If you do not mind I would love to see the content you are shooting that requires such specific hardware. I've caught jets moving at mach 1 during the sonic boom portion of air power demonstrastions. All manual focus, high shutter speed. Never needed autofocus nor did the many world war 2 photographers and action sports photogs of the past. No offense I think its your technique you need to work on or you'll never be satisfied with your imagery. Feel free to post your work bro

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

funny thing today I had to shoot a skii Championship and my boss gave me a tamron 18-270mm to shoot distant people with my canon. Problem is this lens was soo slow to achieve focus that I was missing all shots since the camera wasn't taking pictures without a focus confirmation. So... I had to do all manual... we'll see what came out of it. :)

Yeah, there's a difference between deep depth of field and focusing somewhere where you expect the focus to be without any real immediacy and plenty oppertunity to it. But exactly, if you're capturing slalom skiers that go super fast and don't stay roughly in the same spot from your position and you don't know exactly if they're going to go wide, or take it tight... or fall... you need speed, so wide open at f/2.8 or f/4, nice subject isolation because of it and the combination with a tele lens too. But with all that going on, it's already tricky enough to get the skier in the frame should you be at max zoom for an epic shot, but then to also focus on the fly... you gotta be damn skilled for such a thing! And that is why, children, to this day, we still tell stories about DSLRs and how great they are. Because up to this point, mirrorless has kinda been iffy when it comes down to autofocus. Curious to see if the Sony A6300 really works that well, atleast it looks super impressive! To bad there's no touch-AF, or touchscreen at all on it for that matter.

19 hours ago, big phill said:

Can anyone give me any info on the still capabilities in the NX1. The video capabilities look to be great ( I want one)... how does the stills stack up to the canon's, gh4 (I don't like the lumix still's but love the video) ect. Any info would help me in my making my decision. I love the video capabilities, but I am using Final cut to edit and understand I can't just drop footage directly...and it needs to be converted to progress. Looking at the 7D mark II, NX1 and possibly the GH4. I know thats 3 different camera's but want top notch stills as well as video.

13 hours ago, Mars said:

Absolutely sufficient for most tasks but of course depends on the lenses and the intended use.
I'm a 20+ years Nikon user and since a couple of years - due to more time and since I can afford 'em - trying more and more also other brands. Have the NX1 since a few weeks only but I guess it will be my vacation cam for the summer months. My first impression is that in normal light it can easily compete with any other cam. Only if you need it for special tasks like high-end fashion photography or hard core sports I would look elsewhere. Not because the NX1 is bad but rather because full frame sensors might be the better choice in these cases.

So personally I'll keep my D810 (or D4) or the Sony RX1 for slow landscape photography or for sports or high ISO - but for everything else having the NX1 together with the 16-50 S and the Nikon adapter with other lenses I don't expect to miss anything. 

19 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Stills are nice, similar high detail levels to Nikon D800, dynamic range more in the 7D Mark II ballpark though.

Low light is OK. ISO 1600 perfectly usable. Not great at 3200 or beyond.

AF can be very very good... fast and accurate... other times a bit hit and miss.

Ergonomics very 7D-like, great EVF for stills... the 30mm F2.0 pancake is a bargain, the premium S lenses are expensive but stunningly good quality and very snappy focus. The 85mm F1.4 from Samsung is sharper than my Zeiss 85mm F1.4.

As Mars said it depends on intended use.

I am testing the NX1 at the moment with the 30 mm f/2.0 pancake.

@Andrew Reid: Are the S zooms faster in focusing?

Otherwise I'd say that I so far like the performance in the ISO 1600-3200 range for stills photography. The range for post processing of the raw files is quite huge, but so far I've only tested them with in Camera Raw without the Samsung to DNG converter, which I understand is recommended.  However over 1600-3200 I'm finding the noise (comings from Nikon "noise" character) seems to behave a bit differently depending on light.

Generally speaking I'd say so far (since I have NOT tested teh NX1 with the S or the faster lenses and teh 30 mm was a cheap solution) that for tracking and really quick situations I've found the results from Nikon 1 V1 and kit-zooms systems very good. Not talking here about image quality, bokeh, DR but focus, geometry and getting the shot. All those more artistic values and image quality tend to disappear over ISO 400 sort of. It being totally silent and having 10 FPS (V3 has 20 FPS) JPEG + RAW and a really deep buffer helps of course. The problem there is of course that you need some practice to get used to not seing a "live" image but a stack of images. Don't know about tracking on the NX1 yet. With the 30mm it seems kind of so so. I miss not having a centre "lock & track" function.

Otherwise being a long term (for me ) Nikon user the 1/2/3/4Ds cameras and the 1 system cameras seem to be on par in the field, but the big top-of-the line cameras are faster with the OVF so far in use if you are not used to a EVF. The NX1 seems to have a quicker EVF then the Nikon V1 which is nice.

@sandro I'm not sure about it, but I'd say that for telework of stills I'd use today a V3 + Nikon 1 70-300 (effective 35 mm equivalent 2.7x that) and tracking. IF the light is good and you don't care about top-notch image quality*. That is is you are really on a budget. I myself will be testing the NX1 with a Sony 70-300 SSM via adapter to see how it works out, but I'm into stills photography mainly.

* Coming more from the "press-photo" branch sort of sometimes image quality isn't the top priority but to get a pictures in a tricky situation at all is. Sorry it that's kind of like swearing in the church.

1 hour ago, Cinegain said:

Yeah, there's a difference between deep depth of field and focusing somewhere where you expect the focus to be without any real immediacy and plenty oppertunity to it. But exactly, if you're capturing slalom skiers that go super fast and don't stay roughly in the same spot from your position and you don't know exactly if they're going to go wide, or take it tight... or fall... you need speed, so wide open at f/2.8 or f/4, nice subject isolation because of it and the combination with a tele lens too. But with all that going on, it's already tricky enough to get the skier in the frame should you be at max zoom for an epic shot, but then to also focus on the fly... you gotta be damn skilled for such a thing! And that is why, children, to this day, we still tell stories about DSLRs and how great they are. Because up to this point, mirrorless has kinda been iffy when it comes down to autofocus. Curious to see if the Sony A6300 really works that well, atleast it looks super impressive! To bad there's no touch-AF, or touchscreen at all on it for that matter.

That's what I meant. Why are mirrorelss cameras bad at autofocus?