jacoblewis

Is Samsung shutting down their camera business?

Batteries are not a problem today, I will give you that, but how about a year from now? I guess if you buy a new camera every year, but for me is about every 5 yrs. I suspect strongly that the NX1 will not have batteries, spare parts and will not be supported. It doesn't share parts with other cameras and so I see it as a disposable camera, but YES BATTERIES ARE A PROBLEM   and a huge problem and spare parts and service and.....

I have never had a battery die on me with any camera ever, and I have two NX1 batteries, so I'm not concerned about that.

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

if true, they could at least care to comment on this. they really are showing zero respect for their 'small' user base.

They are. But then it could be argued that Photokina is a show in Germany so more for European market and they already announced to retreat from that market.

We all know they'll completely pull the plug and most can live with that but it's upsetting people that they just won't officially admit it.

Im sure we pretty much know by now Samsung is shutting down but the news I got today from a VERY frustrated source working with Samsung confirmed it. They are done. Nothing new is coming out. So dont hold your breath for new lenses, bodies & fw updates 

Im sure we pretty much know by now Samsung is shutting down but the news I got today from a VERY frustrated source working with Samsung confirmed it. They are done. Nothing new is coming out. So dont hold your breath for new lenses, bodies & fw updates 

They could have given us one last FW update to soften the blow. 

In any case, the NX1 was the only Samsung priduct I've ever liked. Shitty company IMO. 

They could have given us one last FW update to soften the blow. 

In any case, the NX1 was the only Samsung priduct I've ever liked. Shitty company IMO. 

i feel the same. Completely shitty company. For what it's worth I could've got a gh4 with speedbooster if I knew. Oh well. I enjoy the little community that we've built around the NX cameras and I for one will keep testing and pushing the camera to its limits and share my findings. There is no where on the web that has documented the camera as well as we have here 

I agree. Samsung totally lacks heart and emotion. Fuji, olympus, panasonic, pentax are much better in this. Even canikon. And even 'evil sony'. It's better something that you feel as evil, than something that you simply don't feel!

I agree ! Completely ridiculous. They made a stand out product with the NX1. The more I look for another dslr alternative is the more I see there is none. A technical achievement in every sense of the word crippled by a company with poor ethics

I feel the same. The NX1 was the first Samsung product I really wanted to buy.
And now that I have one I am super happy with the features and technological advancement it has over other cameras in the same price range.
DIckhead move by Samsung to pull out of the camera business after creating such an amazing product.

But I am still super happy with my purchase and to me it feels like a complete product the way it is right now.
So realistically I did not expect anything more from Samsung on this particular camera.

Still, would have been interesting to see how far they could push the boundaries with the next one.....oh well...

I feel the same. The NX1 was the first Samsung product I really wanted to buy.
And now that I have one I am super happy with the features and technological advancement it has over other cameras in the same price range.
DIckhead move by Samsung to pull out of the camera business after creating such an amazing product.

But I am still super happy with my purchase and to me it feels like a complete product the way it is right now.
So realistically I did not expect anything more from Samsung on this particular camera.

Still, would have been interesting to see how far they could push the boundaries with the next one.....oh well...

agreed ! I wanted to move to a more in demand system after the move but nah the nx1 is way ahead of its time. The more I learn how to optimize my workflow from pre to post production is the more I can squeeze out of it. Right now the only thing holding back my nx1 is the quality of my lenses and that says a lot about the camera. In the case of the nx1 You need lenses that can keep up with the camera  when usually its the other way around with cameras of this price range. Food for thought.

agreed ! I wanted to move to a more in demand system after the move but nah the nx1 is way ahead of its time. The more I learn how to optimize my workflow from pre to post production is the more I can squeeze out of it. Right now the only thing holding back my nx1 is the quality of my lenses and that says a lot about the camera. In the case of the nx1 You need lenses that can keep up with the camera  when usually its the other way around with cameras of this price range. Food for thought.

Yes, the camera's image is super sharp and I noticed that some of my cheaper lenses are just not able to cope with the sensor... (looking at you 30mm/F1.4 Sigma)
I am going to try some Leica R lenses on the NX1 soon, should be an interesting match.

I've only just got my NX to Nikon adapter and only had a quick play and look, but my Ai-S lenses seem to look pretty good on the NX1 ... the 50/1.4 & 105/2.5 seem to be plenty good enough for the sensor. Even the 35/2 looked OK. 

Did you not find the older Nikon MF lenses up to the task?

The Contax CY lenses must be a good match.

Yes, the camera's image is super sharp and I noticed that some of my cheaper lenses are just not able to cope with the sensor... (looking at you 30mm/F1.4 Sigma)
I am going to try some Leica R lenses on the NX1 soon, should be an interesting match.

Yes, I reckon the R lenses would be a very nice match.

I agree ! Completely ridiculous. They made a stand out product with the NX1. The more I look for another dslr alternative is the more I see there is none. A technical achievement in every sense of the word crippled by a company with poor ethics

They love to copy as well and need affirmation by an original company (American & Japanese companies) that that a particular product will sell before they jump in and do it. 

I reckon the only way Samsung will make cameras again is if Apple decide to make one :)

I get the feeling they have a lot of talented people at Samsung but just run by morons. They seem to be in a bit of financial strife at the moment too ...

Who is the source?  :p

I am simply playing devil's advocate here, but should you really adjust your workflow to match a tool? Would a painter change the way they paint because a new brush came out? You have some amazing lenses, some legendary pieces of glass and there is no reason why they shouldn't shine on any camera. 

We've discussed this before... I am relatively new to video. I started with canons and then picked up the nx500 at a ridiculously low price last summer. I used to get good results with my canons... Nothing groundbreaking or anything but I would get respectable images. When I moved to the 500, nothing I knew would work. Test after test and I was getting horrific results. I thought that the Samsung was just a better product and I had to learn how to deal with a more professional system, but then after getting the G7... It was a breath of fresh air and I am starting to think the NX was the issue. Don't get me wrong the camera is awesome and capable of great imagery as many, including you, have proven but I am beginning to believe the whole system is designed around the use of their lenses. 

I don't know... Just a thought... What do I know. 

zeiss milvus for me ?

I am simply playing devil's advocate here, but should you really adjust your workflow to match a tool? Would a painter change the way they paint because a new brush came out? You have some amazing lenses, some legendary pieces of glass and there is no reason why they shouldn't shine on any camera. 

We've discussed this before... I am relatively new to video. I started with canons and then picked up the nx500 at a ridiculously low price last summer. I used to get good results with my canons... Nothing groundbreaking or anything but I would get respectable images. When I moved to the 500, nothing I knew would work. Test after test and I was getting horrific results. I thought that the Samsung was just a better product and I had to learn how to deal with a more professional system, but then after getting the G7... It was a breath of fresh air and I am starting to think the NX was the issue. Don't get me wrong the camera is awesome and capable of great imagery as many, including you, have proven but I am beginning to believe the whole system is designed around the use of their lenses. 

I don't know... Just a thought... What do I know. 

in my opinion you absolutely should change your workflow to match your tool of choice ! My Nikkors are great and would've shined on another body but to be stubborn and ignore the flaws I am seeing would be foolish on my part. These older lenses as legendary as they are still are designed for film instead of modern sensors. More than anything the NX1 was a wake up call. It showed me that if I al going to shoot with a high megapixel, high pixel density sensor I need a lens (system optimized for that). Nx1 or not what if an 8k groundbreaking camera came out tommorrow with all the features we need but the lens can't keep up with it ? See what I am saying ? Point is these vintage lenses were great for the time they were designed for but they are definitely 30+ years old. The Samsung lenses resolve more detail than my nikkors but I refuse to buy one for obvious reasons. Plus I have theories about this sensor I have mentioned before. Any lens can resolve 4k detail but few can resolve up to 6k. The sensor is doing a full pixel readout from 6k to 4k so you wont notice the resolution limitation of the lens till you shoot 28mp stills. During the downscale to 4k the nx1 is overprocessing the image with noise reduction and then adding sharpening to unsharp/low resolution areas creating weird artifacts to my eye. I believe with a high powered lens the camera wont process as much. I do shoot stills as well and the camera does have a moderate amount of grain. When I use noise reduction remember NR reduces detail, then your next step is to sharpen and you end up sharpening the fine grain as well ! The best route to take would be to use a lens that can resolve all that detail even wide open so you won't have to bump up sharpening in post.

sorry for the long winded post but yeah you do have to change your workflow to get the most out of the tool you plan on working with. I have done that with every camera system I've invested in. Its the only way I've maintained a high standard of quality with all those videos you like :-D

vimeo.com/kidzrevil

Who is the source?  :p

not telling you bro. He/she is inside their network why would I expose my source and jeopardize their career ? You CAN wait around and see if Samsung comes out with a new cam or announce a shutdown though lol I most certainly wont

in my opinion you absolutely should change your workflow to match your tool of choice ! My Nikkors are great and would've shined on another body but to be stubborn and ignore the flaws I am seeing would be foolish on my part. These older lenses as legendary as they are still are designed for film instead of modern sensors. More than anything the NX1 was a wake up call. It showed me that if I al going to shoot with a high megapixel, high pixel density sensor I need a lens (system optimized for that). Nx1 or not what if an 8k groundbreaking camera came out tommorrow with all the features we need but the lens can't keep up with it ? See what I am saying ? Point is these vintage lenses were great for the time they were designed for but they are definitely 30+ years old. The Samsung lenses resolve more detail than my nikkors but I refuse to buy one for obvious reasons. Plus I have theories about this sensor I have mentioned before. Any lens can resolve 4k detail but few can resolve up to 6k. The sensor is doing a full pixel readout from 6k to 4k so you wont notice the resolution limitation of the lens till you shoot 28mp stills. During the downscale to 4k the nx1 is overprocessing the image with noise reduction and then adding sharpening to unsharp/low resolution areas creating weird artifacts to my eye. I believe with a high powered lens the camera wont process as much. I do shoot stills as well and the camera does have a moderate amount of grain. When I use noise reduction remember NR reduces detail, then your next step is to sharpen and you end up sharpening the fine grain as well ! The best route to take would be to use a lens that can resolve all that detail even wide open so you won't have to bump up sharpening in post.

sorry for the long winded post but yeah you do have to change your workflow to get the most out of the tool you plan on working with. I have done that with every camera system I've invested in. Its the only way I've maintained a high standard of quality with all those videos you like :-D

vimeo.com/kidzrevil

I said I was a playing devil's advocate... Ha. But well put. I'll tell you what... I love this site, every day I learn something new from one of the other members. 

I am a writer first and only really got into video for another outlet for my writing. I was bit by the bug, so now I am a little obsessed. But I always want to keep the story in the forefront... I'm not a cinematographer. But you are, so all of your points are valid and make sense. 

I said I was a playing devil's advocate... Ha. But well put. I'll tell you what... I love this site, every day I learn something new from one of the other members. 

I am a writer first and only really got into video for another outlet for my writing. I was bit by the bug, so now I am a little obsessed. But I always want to keep the story in the forefront... I'm not a cinematographer. But you are, so all of your points are valid and make sense. 

nah I know you are man im not mad or anything lol, just putting it all out there for the other readers who have the same questions. 

Video could compliment your writing. You never know you may just end up writing the script of the century one of these days

nah I know you are man im not mad or anything lol, just putting it all out there for the other readers who have the same questions. 

Video could compliment your writing. You never know you may just end up writing the script of the century one of these days

Haha, I write mostly horrors and thrillers, so I doubt it will be the script of the century... But shit... I am trying. Twenty years from now I will not look back and say... If only I tried a little harder.