jacoblewis

Is Samsung shutting down their camera business?

You can try this http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3947758  + http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3950915 

Guys here bought new Samsung lenses as "spare part" but price is much lower - eg. 16-50mm f/2-2.8 - cost only $650 ( http://www.samsungparts.com/Products/Parts_and_Accessories/PID-AD97-23876A.aspx )

duuuuuuuude, whattttttt. That's too good to pass up.

I just ordered a 16-50 S from there.

Let's see how this goes....

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Click the dpreview thread linked above and look through there, it's there, but I think it's still pricey there too. 

I'm sure they did it just to spite you too, Sandro :)

Lol found! It costs more than retail :)

Looking at the D5/500, I would say that Nikon really NEED Samsung's stuff right now, lol. If they don't get it I think they will be in serious trouble going into the future. Their current cameras are really from a previous era, and that will not serve them well trying to compete with all the new tech coming from other companies going forward.

Think about it. Presumably they expect the D5/500 to be their flagships for at least the next two years and probably longer. But what will the likes of Sony and Panasonic have by then? Or even Canon for that matter. Management at Nikon should be worried right now.

Y'know, every time someone seems to be assuming that people who buy DSLRs strictly for video capabilities are even a blip on Nikon's balance sheet...

duuuuuuuude, whattttttt. That's too good to pass up.

I just ordered a 16-50 S from there.

Let's see how this goes....

Pls tell us how it goes. I have a couple of days to decide wether to buy a NX1 package herr locally, but the price is quite steep considering it's most probably a orphaned system. (€1800).

Btw, I know it might sound a bit amateurish, but anyone who has tested sending a batch of JPEGS from the NX1 directly or through a smartphone to Facebook/Dropbox/whatever. Are the images full rez? Kind of important for how I thought setting up a "work-pipeline". Sonys Play memories app process seems fiddly.

Pls tell us how it goes. I have a couple of days to decide wether to buy a NX1 package herr locally, but the price is quite steep considering it's most probably a orphaned system. (€1800).

Btw, I know it might sound a bit amateurish, but anyone who has tested sending a batch of JPEGS from the NX1 directly or through a smartphone to Facebook/Dropbox/whatever. Are the images full rez? Kind of important for how I thought setting up a "work-pipeline". Sonys Play memories app process seems fiddly.

I just tested this with an ipad pro. Yes the photo seems to be the original full size JPG, but for some reason the file size is not 100% the same, 4KB difference. The larger one is copied from the SD card. The small one is copied using the samsung app on the ipad with wireless connection, then uploaded via the dropbox app.

Actually this is how I edit my photos now. Using an ipad pro with VSCO is enough for me, works great. When I need some other editing function I can always copy the file to my desktop.

Capture.thumb.PNG.9a4c31313705e4dc45a5e3

Capture2.thumb.PNG.a1f1494ccf49807fa6eb5

http://photorumors.com/2015/09/18/is-samsung-shutting-down-their-camera-business/

Is it true? I'm a bit concerned. NX1 and NX500 are on a big discount at B&H right now.  And we haven't seen any new product announcements from Samsung in a while.  Especially in their professional lens department.  But it also seems odd that they've been pushing firmware update after update with the NX1, with some pretty big improvements.  And H265 is finally being supported in Premiere, so I'm conflicted in what to believe.

its over bro, Samsung is f*cking done. They tried to sneak out the backdoor but the rumor mill & the press wouldn't allow them to make the quiet exit that they hoped for

it's super easy to wifi the jpg's to your phone, they even give you a dialog to import straight to VSCO. Even if you shoot RAW they'll wifi the jpg copy on the fly

only one you should be laughing at is yourself. Clown. You're comparing a jpg to a video. We all know the performance of a camera's video is different  than stills because of compression and in some cases motion artifacting. So again, if you're gonna laugh try laughing at the accuracy of your "findings".

Are you suggesting that video is superior to stills in quality? Lol!!

No matter what, the light sensitivity of the Sony is clearly superior to the Nikon. If the Nikon had been shooting that scene in video, it would be darker and have far less detail, since the little it does have in the still would be killed by noise and compression.

I just tested this with an ipad pro. Yes the photo seems to be the original full size JPG, but for some reason the file size is not 100% the same, 4KB difference. The larger one is copied from the SD card. The small one is copied using the samsung app on the ipad with wireless connection, then uploaded via the dropbox app.

Actually this is how I edit my photos now. Using an ipad pro with VSCO is enough for me, works great. When I need some other editing function I can always copy the file to my desktop.

Capture.thumb.PNG.9a4c31313705e4dc45a5e3

Capture2.thumb.PNG.a1f1494ccf49807fa6eb5

its over bro, Samsung is f*cking done. They tried to sneak out the backdoor but the rumor mill & the press wouldn't allow them to make the quiet exit that they hoped for

it's super easy to wifi the jpg's to your phone, they even give you a dialog to import straight to VSCO. Even if you shoot RAW they'll wifi the jpg copy on the fly

That sounds great actually. How long did one picture take to transfer (ca)?

That sounds great actually. How long did one picture take to transfer (ca)?

It took me about half a second to copy that 7.3MB file to the ipad, pretty fast.

However the app has a limit of viewing max. 1000 photos in the SD card, maybe it could be a problem

It took me about half a second to copy that 7.3MB file to the ipad, pretty fast.

However the app has a limit of viewing max. 1000 photos in the SD card, maybe it could be a problem

OK. That's really OK.

1000 photos is really enough. I think I'd usually as it is today transfer between 1-50 and sometimes maybe up to 400 to the phone/tablet. And out of all that perhaps 1-20 would be the final ones.

Are you suggesting that video is superior to stills in quality? Lol!!

No matter what, the light sensitivity of the Sony is clearly superior to the Nikon. If the Nikon had been shooting that scene in video, it would be darker and have far less detail, since the little it does have in the still would be killed by noise and compression.

no where did I even hint at the fact that one was superior to the other what I was saying is you cant compare apples to oranges and a jpg to a compressed  video. Nor did I suggest that Nikon was in any shape or form superior to the Sony in low light performance. 

The miscommunication here stems from the fact that you want to argue and be right so bad on here that you cant even read and comprehend what I as well as others are saying. So please go back to my original post and then revise your rebuttal. 

Just to clarify (Even thought I posted the text above, I'm still going to buy a NX1 probably.) It is sad that more ordinary camera companies are so conservative - but on the other hand photography might be a quiet conservative thing still?

Anyone had any deliveries from Samsungparts yet?

Just to clarify (Even thought I posted the text above, I'm still going to buy a NX1 probably.) It is sad that more ordinary camera companies are so conservative - but on the other hand photography might be a quiet conservative thing still?

Anyone had any deliveries from Samsungparts yet?

Ordered on the 6th, still waiting.

Ordered another cheaper part on the 7th, arrived a couple of days later. The more expensive 'parts' are backordered.

I'm watching US websites and they all seem to carry the entire NX lenses with stock always new, so maybe in the US they're still undecided?

On the other hand in EU their products are almost everywhere discounted.

Batteries are not a problem today, I will give you that, but how about a year from now? I guess if you buy a new camera every year, but for me is about every 5 yrs. I suspect strongly that the NX1 will not have batteries, spare parts and will not be supported. It doesn't share parts with other cameras and so I see it as a disposable camera, but YES 
BATTERIES ARE A PROBLEM   and a huge problem and spare parts and service and.....