jacoblewis

Is Samsung shutting down their camera business?

they have to be the BIGGEST group of assholes to grace the planet. Ever. I think they wont announce it because they dont want it to affect their stock. Announcements like that can cause people to sell their stock, you know ?

Well, it's not yet clear if they are pulling from the entire global market or selected areas.

Btw, if I have more practical questions about the NX1, is it better to post them here or in a separate thread (considering the situation with the NX1 and the NX-line)? Usually it's always a separate thread in forums, but this situations is somewhat different.

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Well, it's not yet clear if they are pulling from the entire global market or selected areas.

There's only selected markets left and the fact that even there accessories like the batteries are unavailable makes it quite likely that a global stop is imminent, just weird that they don't man up and announce it. The current playing dead probably is worse for their reputation with the potential market when looking further than the "walmart consumer". But we can't do anything but wait and see. I'm already happy they fixed firmware up to what we've got with 1.40 despite the signs on the horizon.

I think if one doesn't sink high figures into lenses but sticks to e.g. 1 or 2 native lenses plus adapting, the quality you get for the price is amazing, even if there will be no further support. My Nikon feels really clunky in comparison to the NX1, everything is so snappy and except for the lack of moving the punch in area I think it's a great camera.
I think the "investing in a dead system" issue is blown out of proportion. What about the BMPCC that doesn't have a system? People are willing to buy expensive exclusive speedboosters for that camera that will be obsolete the moment there is no camera with that specific crop factor. I know people who invested into super expensive speaker docks for their iPods... surprise, connector has changed.

Not really, like they also say: 'maybe they registered before they decided to kill their camera business'. Exactly. Besides. They still have an imaging focus... smartphones that take pictures... new 360 VR cam... like Canon they make printers... wouldn't get your hopes up. You won't get to see any new interchangeable lens cameras or lenses there I bet.

Last show was way back in 2014, apparently straight afterwards exhibitors have to re-register for the next show (they are every 2 years) so this was clearly a decision taken at least a year before they decided to call it quits.

Last show was way back in 2014, apparently straight afterwards exhibitors have to re-register for the next show (they are every 2 years) so this was clearly a decision taken at least a year before they decided to call it quits.

oh i see, my bad.

Wiped off the face of the internet.

If that isn't the clearest sign yet they have entirely abandoned the market and shut their camera department I don't know what is! So sad.

I wonder if their plan has become "official" yet. LOL

If that isn't the clearest sign yet they have entirely abandoned the market and shut their camera department I don't know what is! So sad.

Closest thing to being ditched on prom night.

As an NX1 owner, what bums me out is that I doubt if there will be any more firmware updates. The frequent firmware updates were one of the reasons I purchased into the NX1system. They finally got the NX1 in good working order, but never brought the log profile I was hoping for.  That said, I've used it a year and learned a lot on long the way.  I could have purchased a GH4, but the NX1 has the look I wanted. Would I do it again - yes. Will I do it again - no. That's it for the NX1. My next purchase will be Sony A7000/A6100 (or whatever it's named), if it includes the features I hope it has.

What is the NX1 missing? For me, the flange distance precludes me from using my 50mm f.95 c-mount (which just about covers an APS-C size sensor). For other's no speed booster.  If Samsung would have on gone to an 18mm flange distance they would still be my first choice.  But they wanted corner the make with superior technology - guess what Samsung - the market knows what's best and it doesn't want a flange distance that you can't adapt to.  Yes - I have both of the S-lens and the are great and all, but who doesn't what to be able have their choice of glass when shooting non corporate video.  For corporate video the 50-150s is stunning and so is the 16-50s.

Maybe I'm asking too much... What I really want is a BMCC size/style sensor with global shutter in a URSA body with a 4/3 mount, 60p and 2.k ProRes with OPLF and IR filter for $3k.... someday, hopefully soon, we will have it all.

I sold all my M mount lenses because of the flange register of the NX mount. The zeiss ZF lenses serve me well. But I still miss the M mount compactness, those tiny M mount lenses has only one drawback of 0.7-1.0m close focus. On the other hand, the Loxia has everything I need, however I think I'm not going back to E mount because I never feel comfortable with Sony camera. Actually I hope to see an EOS M4 with good 4k video capability

What is the NX1 missing? For me, the flange distance precludes me from using my 50mm f.95 c-mount (which just about covers an APS-C size sensor).

I have the NX500 and I agree about the flange distance. The NX design is probably the biggest flaw of the system. But I was able to get a c-mount adapter from fotodiox and use my cosmicar c-mount lenses for macro shots. With the 4K crop in the nx500, it basically turned the camera into a s16 sensor and the ability to soften the high resolution video with c-mount lenses would have been epic for a $350 body. 

Actually I hope to see an EOS M4 with good 4k video capability.

Rumor has it that Canon will be releasing a professional mirrorless camera this year. I assume it's going to be based off of the eos-m system, so I won't be surprised if the eos-m4k exists by year's end. The m3 introduced some much needed improvements with the body style, focus peaking and tillable LCD. If they go back to the 50mbps 1080p bitrate and introduce 100mbps 4K, they could really be onto something. I think the release of the M10 and the M3 in the same year may be Canon's way for future delineation between the consumer and enthusiast lines. 

As an NX1 owner, what bums me out is that I doubt if there will be any more firmware updates. The frequent firmware updates were one of the reasons I purchased into the NX1system. They finally got the NX1 in good working order, but never brought the log profile I was hoping for.  That said, I've used it a year and learned a lot on long the way.  I could have purchased a GH4, but the NX1 has the look I wanted. Would I do it again - yes. Will I do it again - no. That's it for the NX1. My next purchase will be Sony A7000/A6100 (or whatever it's named), if it includes the features I hope it has.

What is the NX1 missing? For me, the flange distance precludes me from using my 50mm f.95 c-mount (which just about covers an APS-C size sensor). For other's no speed booster.  If Samsung would have on gone to an 18mm flange distance they would still be my first choice.  But they wanted corner the make with superior technology - guess what Samsung - the market knows what's best and it doesn't want a flange distance that you can't adapt to.  Yes - I have both of the S-lens and the are great and all, but who doesn't what to be able have their choice of glass when shooting non corporate video.  For corporate video the 50-150s is stunning and so is the 16-50s.

Maybe I'm asking too much... What I really want is a BMCC size/style sensor with global shutter in a URSA body with a 4/3 mount, 60p and 2.k ProRes with OPLF and IR filter for $3k.... someday, hopefully soon, we will have it all.

agreed. My next purchase will be a canon 5d mark iii unless a mark iv gets announced this year. Im excited to experiment with the raw workflow ! I will keep the nx1 for documentaries and other projects that require a ton of shooting since the file sizes are relatively small

I think that site hasn't been working for quite some time.

I have the NX500 and I agree about the flange distance. The NX design is probably the biggest flaw of the system. But I was able to get a c-mount adapter from fotodiox and use my cosmicar c-mount lenses for macro shots. With the 4K crop in the nx500, it basically turned the camera into a s16 sensor and the ability to soften the high resolution video with c-mount lenses would have been epic for a $350 body. 

Rumor has it that Canon will be releasing a professional mirrorless camera this year. I assume it's going to be based off of the eos-m system, so I won't be surprised if the eos-m4k exists by year's end. The m3 introduced some much needed improvements with the body style, focus peaking and tillable LCD. If they go back to the 50mbps 1080p bitrate and introduce 100mbps 4K, they could really be onto something. I think the release of the M10 and the M3 in the same year may be Canon's way for future delineation between the consumer and enthusiast lines. 

If Canon has a 4K mirrorless, it will almost certainly use the codec in the XC10. Don't count on 100 mbps anything.

I imagine that is probably the biggest single reason why they have not added 4K to their consumer lines - the encoder in their current generation processors will require the same CFast setup that the XC10 has, and without it there is no reason to upgrade the processors. The cost factor associated with CFast is likely what has been holding them back. Perhaps with a UHS-II interface they will be able to manage it now though.

agreed. My next purchase will be a canon 5d mark iii unless a mark iv gets announced this year. Im excited to experiment with the raw workflow ! I will keep the nx1 for documentaries and other projects that require a ton of shooting since the file sizes are relatively small

I would not buy a 5D3, because it is essentially obsolete technology that is going to be outclassed by just about every camera in a year or two anyway.

If Canon has a 4K mirrorless, it will almost certainly use the codec in the XC10. Don't count on 100 mbps anything.

I imagine that is probably the biggest single reason why they have not added 4K to their consumer lines - the encoder in their current generation processors will require the same CFast setup that the XC10 has, and without it there is no reason to upgrade the processors. The cost factor associated with CFast is likely what has been holding them back. Perhaps with a UHS-II interface they will be able to manage it now though.

I would not buy a 5D3, because it is essentially obsolete technology that is going to be outclassed by just about every camera in a year or two anyway.

I figured as much, but doesn't the raw mode offer a lot more flexibility ?

Rumor had it they'd release it 2015... and there were already rumors in 2014 that the Canon M line will get a prosumer camera. Just as there's always rumors about Nikon releasing a mirrorless camera. I think actually this year we could see something along those lines but then I remember the teething problems that other mirrorless systems had in their earliest models so I'm not sure if the first release will be more than a fancy beta test on customer's cost.

I'm also curious though. There's still so much room for improvement in the mirrorless world, the two big fishes entering can't hurt the progress. It's a pity Samsung left, they've shown so much creativity and technical prowess with the NX1 and NX500. Nikon strongly voices that they did not acquire any Samsung tech but it would really be a waste if that goes down the drain to only be used in mobile phones, fridges, VR/action cameras, etc.

That may be the case. I just assume they will be introducing 4K this year into their prosumer cameras and since they seem to be slowly upgrading their eos-m line, it seems like the perfect fit.

And I'm not sure I agree about the 5D with ML Raw. 14 bit raw on a full frame, I don't see any camera from the big companies doing that anytime soon. 

Rumor had it they'd release it 2015... and there were already rumors in 2014 that the Canon M line will get a prosumer camera. Just as there's always rumors about Nikon releasing a mirrorless camera. I think actually this year we could see something along those lines but then I remember the teething problems that other mirrorless systems had in their earliest models so I'm not sure if the first release will be more than a fancy beta test on customer's cost.

I'm also curious though. There's still so much room for improvement in the mirrorless world, the two big fishes entering can't hurt the progress. It's a pity Samsung left, they've shown so much creativity and technical prowess with the NX1 and NX500. Nikon strongly voices that they did not acquire any Samsung tech but it would really be a waste if that goes down the drain to only be used in mobile phones, fridges, VR/action cameras, etc.

I loved the original eos-m. I paid less than 200 bucks for the body during the fire sale. I know that wasn't great for Canon's business side but it definitely introduced a lot of consumers to their mirrorless line which is starting to now have a mature lens line up.

Also, I remember when it first came out and reading something from a canon spokesperson stating that the eos-m was designed with video in mind. I cannot imagine they can go much longer without introducing 4K and the eos-m line seems like the perfect fit to introduce it.

In reality I would love for them to take a lesson from ML and bring Raw video officially into their line up. If they did that, everybody in this site would be pro canon again.

In fact, I find it strange that more people aren't angry as hell at Samsung for leaving the camera market, especially when everybody were so eager to lynch Canon for not improving upon their video functions at a quicker rate.

In my opinion Samsung is way worse in how they are treating their customers... So much so I may never buy another Samsung item again... That'll show them...

That may be the case. I just assume they will be introducing 4K this year into their prosumer cameras and since they seem to be slowly upgrading their eos-m line, it seems like the perfect fit.

And I'm not sure I agree about the 5D with ML Raw. 14 bit raw on a full frame, I don't see any camera from the big companies doing that anytime soon. 

I loved the original eos-m. I paid less than 200 bucks for the body during the fire sale. I know that wasn't great for Canon's business side but it definitely introduced a lot of consumers to their mirrorless line which is starting to now have a mature lens line up.

Also, I remember when it first came out and reading something from a canon spokesperson stating that the eos-m was designed with video in mind. I cannot imagine they can go much longer without introducing 4K and the eos-m line seems like the perfect fit to introduce it.

In reality I would love for them to take a lesson from ML and bring Raw video officially into their line up. If they did that, everybody in this site would be pro canon again.

In fact, I find it strange that more people aren't angry as hell at Samsung for leaving the camera market, especially when everybody were so eager to lynch Canon for not improving upon their video functions at a quicker rate.

In my opinion Samsung is way worse in how they are treating their customers... So much so I may never buy another Samsung item again... That'll show them...

with you on that one ! NEVER will I buy another Samsung product. Thank God I never invested in their lenses. Honestly looking forward to see what Panasonic does next. I think we all were thinking that Samsung was taking a page out of Panasonic's book and trying to make the camera game a little more competitive again with class leading features. Sony is cool put to me they are overhyped and overpriced. They practice "spec warfare" on paper their cameras are nuts but put the shit out in the field and you are like wtf (imo). My t3i with Magic Lantern was an incredible tool to me and I am hoping the 5d3 RAW can give me that feeling again especially with the innovations visioncolor has brought to Canon users. An NX1 for personal projects and 5D3 for paid projects is my ideal setup. Im considering an a7sii but ehhhh idk about Sony.