jacoblewis

Is Samsung shutting down their camera business?

Maybe I am simple minded, but the NX1-NX500 is the cheapest, lightest, smaller 4K A-B camera set right now, for "simple" things like interviews and live events (such theatre plays, or music/dance shows) and low budget jobs are just fine.

For the whole 2016 I think I am set (have a good year, by the way!) and with a minimal "investment".

Samsung is so big, that they really do not care at all, if next year (or the year after) believe that a full frame camera can make them some profit, they will, and if it suits my needs and my budget,  it will be in my shopping list.

They are mass producers, they do not really care about selling a "few" cameras, they want to sell thousands and thousands.

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

What I wonder is how they expect people to trust them to buy their cameras if they come back with a new line in a few years? GX, NX... Fool me once, fool me twice...

Good point. Didn't think of that. But in theory they could if they offer a good product and Canon/Nikon still are a bit lazy.

Maybe I am simple minded, but the NX1-NX500 is the cheapest, lightest, smaller 4K A-B camera set right now, for "simple" things like interviews and live events (such theatre plays, or music/dance shows) and low budget jobs are just fine.

For the whole 2016 I think I am set (have a good year, by the way!) and with a minimal "investment".

Samsung is so big, that they really do not care at all, if next year (or the year after) believe that a full frame camera can make them some profit, they will, and if it suits my needs and my budget,  it will be in my shopping list.

They are mass producers, they do not really care about selling a "few" cameras, they want to sell thousands and thousands.

+1 I don't do payed jobs really. I'm a hobbyist, but I agree that it seems like one of the most compact complete (albeight no real cheap flash alternative) out there atm. But getting a cut of the market isn't easy since the APS-C market is quite crowded. As mentioned earlier, and I also heard the same when looking at a A7ii at a store here and asking "what is usually the biggest obstacle in changing systems to Sony (mind you, this was more about us amateurs), the store rep said: "Existing glass... if you have a lot of Canon glass it's not a problem, buy a Metabones and your set. But if you have Nikon...well that's different." So basically, if Samsung want's to come back later on, the trick is probably similar. Maybe ultra compact, FF and SoC systems or Smartphones that adapt FF glass... I dunno. Might sound stupid. But both Sony and Samsung have tried lot's of concepts during last years.  But if Samsung didn't sell/licence out their sensor tech, then they have to do something with it. Quite a lot of $$$ sunk in that.

However finding one NX1 now that the stores have nearly sold out their stocks is hard, especially that quite a few stores (here in Sweden) still cling to the old prices. Not sure it's worth it for the original price. It's too close to a A7ii series then.

Well they showed quite a few different cameras in that clip, but what they didn't show was any NX cameras. Looks like Samsung would rather distance themselves from the NX line. This clip speaks volumes. The opening line says, "We build tools to tell stories", and not one picture of the tools Samsung actually built. Nuff said!!!

I think they're trying to cast 360 degree VR as the next development in story telling film tools, going back to early analog ones. Notice the only other digital tool is a RED (they're not going to put a Canon EOS in a Samsung video). I don't think this video says anything about their attitude towards the NX mount, I think it says something about their hopes for VR as a new frontier for a yet to be imagined type of film making.

Someone on an NX1 facebook group said he read news on a hong kong site that the NX2 would launch at CP+

The cycle continues :)

The reason is that apparently there was an article in a Korean publication going over the 2016 prospects for cameras, and according to them the NX2 would be launched in Korea in February. Maybe it still will be (or a little later), but with a different brand on the name plate.

Of Andrew's 4 possibilities, I think something like option 3 is the most likely. If not Nikon, then someone else. At least with Nikon you can see a business rationale for doing something like that to jumpstart their mirrorless program. The sensor/processor combo in the NX1 is probably still the most potent combo in any camera today and you would have to think that the NX2 (or whatever they had planned for 2016) silicon would be even better than that. I imagine that would be a pretty attractive package for most of the other camera companies, especially the DSLR centric ones. They might not keep the mount, but the technology inside the cameras has to be attractive.

Tech companies don't really just throw cutting edge tech away. They will sell it if they can, and cutting edge stuff will always sell.

One other possibility of course is that the NX2 is being launched in 2016 by Samsung themselves, but they are getting rid of the NX mount and using something completely different. If they did that then the older lenses and cameras would be obsolete, and that could explain why they have discontinued them all.

Great recap.  I think possibility #1 is most likely.  No more Samsung NX line or any plans for other Samsung branded cameras, but keep the sensor tech alive and see if there are any buyers.  They may also find a market for their software expertise for both the codec and the camera UI.  

WHat I don't get is if the shutdown is real why wouldn't they release some official statement? I mean the stock is already so limited or selling for huge discounts! I believe people who spent thousands of $ on this camera and lenses have the ethical right to know if the system has been abandoned.

Well, first they use a codec that can't be edited in my NLE and then they shut down the camera line so that anyone that needs a battery is out of luck. Everyone needs batteries. Now, what is the chance that in the future that I will ever buy a samsung camera no matter how advanced and snazzy?  No matter what a great deal or great camera, I will make another choice for future purchases, I am so glad now that I didn't buy the NX1. I was seriously considering it once I find a way to edit the footage. Can you imagine starring down at your shiny new camera and not being able to use it once you need replacement batteries!

They can deny rumors all they want, doesn't mean there's nothing happening behind the scenes. And as pointed out earlier: 

Not really. I'd be surprised if they'd do anything else but denying. Pretty sure they haven't got things finalized yet. More or less exactly what Tony said:

Well, first they use a codec that can't be edited in my NLE and then they shut down the camera line so that anyone that needs a battery is out of luck. Everyone needs batteries. Now, what is the chance that in the future that I will ever buy a samsung camera no matter how advanced and snazzy?  No matter what a great deal or great camera, I will make another choice for future purchases, I am so glad now that I didn't buy the NX1. I was seriously considering it once I find a way to edit the footage. Can you imagine starring down at your shiny new camera and not being able to use it once you need replacement batteries!

Batteries is not a problem, come on: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sop=15&_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=nx1+battery+samsung&rt=nc&LH_BIN=1

My aftermarket Nikon (and big Panasonic) batteries have lasted for years and years.

Still, I just bought another 2 batteries with aftermarket charger set and the genuine Samsung charger from Amazon - sixty bucks for the mess, leaves me with 5 batteries. (Can't find an aftermarket charger with a cord, only car-cords and plug right into the wall versions. My charging table is a schizo mess). Also got a Canon FL/FD adapter and an M42 adapter. If the NX is truly dead, we'll likely see these accessories dry up before long.

A sad day if true.

I went to buy a few spares for my NX1 in HK a couple of months ago and zero were available. Ended up getting my uncle from the States to bring 5 back with him from B&H.

What I'd really like to know is what they are going to do with repairs to cameras and lenses that are out of warranty

I bet that's it for something that breaks outside of warranty ... it's dead forever. Samsung won't fix anything.

I've always disliked Samsung and thought they were a shitty company and hated their phones & TV's. They love to copy anything Apple and are generally can't come up with anything too original in that space (phone & tablets).

Somehow they came up with a nice camera in the NX1 but that's it ... rest of their stuff is utter shite IMO including the NX500.

I think the reason we are collectively so disbelieving of Sansung's actions is that we are all used to long-term players in the photography and video industry. Samsung is not a long-term player, and for Samsung the revenue it gains from camera sales is relatively insignificant compared to its core businesses. Sony are a very different company with a different history and circumstance. 

I can only guess that Samsung set themselves a revenue target when they decided internally to invest what must have been a very large fortune in the technology that the NX1 was born from, and presumably their sales of the NX1 did not meet their targets, hence they are quitting. Yes, they are very unlikely to have got back the technology investment they had made, but a smart businessman knows when to quit, and for reasons that only they know of they are quitting.

The dirty nasty consequence of their actions is that people buying the NX1 will be unsupported in the very near future (has been the case in Europe for a month) but Samsung appears to not have a conscience about such things. But then apparently the smart businessman does not have a conscience.

In the photography community we are used to companies like Nikon, Canon, Panasonic, Fuji, Leica and Olympus always "being there" in one form or another, they would never do what Samsung are doing, so we can not believe what we are witnessing is true, there has to be a good ending to this story, like for example Nikon attaining their technology. Clearly that particular theory is proved wrong, Nikon have gone their own way and released a flagship 4K camera that shoots for a maximum of 3 minutes. Samsung could of course be a future supplier of sensor technology to Nikon like Sony are today, that makes perfect business sense, but they could do that already while continuing to develop the NX range just as Sony continue to develop their Alpha range.

I think the main thing I take away from "the Samsung Conundrum" is a stark reminder that developing camera technology is about business, making money, and not being a charity or an unprofitable service to a relatively small customer base. But that does not in any way excuse Samsung from keeping quiet, allowing rumours and conspiracy theories to develop, and not communicating clearly to the world their real intentions with their camera business, while allowing continued sales in expensive technology items that they most likely have no long-term plans to support.

You guys bring up good points : who's gonna fix the camera if Samsung stops supporting it ? That means our warranties are bullshit even if we bought the cam last week ! Might as well buy all the mounts & batteries while you still can smh

You guys bring up good points : who's gonna fix the camera if Samsung stops supporting it ? That means our warranties are bullshit even if we bought the cam last week ! Might as well buy all the mounts & batteries while you still can smh

They would probably directly exchange it for stock while it lasts and after that during warranty period if no exchange is physically possible anymore you would get a (partial?)refund as considered by law in most countries (if something breaks during warrantee or defects liability the vendor/manufacturer has a bunch of tries to fix it or replace it with the equivalent item or then as a last resort the buyer can ask for or seller offer to back up from the sale and refund the money, at least here in Germany and I guess all of EU?).

But then I heard on a forum where someone wanted to get his BMPCC repaired that the feedback was to buy a new one, they wouldn't do paid repairs on that model anymore. Consumerism is good for technical advance but probably not good if you actually want to keep the gear a while... just like firmware updates end the moment a new model arrives with most manufacturers.

I'm no expert in US consumer law - i know for vehicles, manufacturers have to keep parts stocked for something like 10 years.

Though that may be an enthusiast worry - I don't but camera bodies unless they pay for themselves fairly quickly. They just get outdated too soon (though it may be a while until someone beats the NX1 in the features/price/value department). At $1k for the body, man… I'm not like, worried sick about it. But I do hope NX glass drops in price on the used market vs. becoming some legendary thing. That 85 could be killer for 1-man interviews when the subject faces off-camera and there's no warm body to be an eyeline. Testing the little kit lens, it worked great for that sort of thing (when I'm the eyeline, sitting in a chair with a long focus whip and a monitor in my lap, trying to keep eye contact… stress!).

I wish you luck and a working NX1 for a long time! 

Samsung doesn't understand how the video/photo world functions and they showed it all along. For years they made shitty cameras. When they make a good system, they kill it young. Who can trust Samsung??

Indeed. Samsung keeps losing customers' trust, maybe they just don't care. I was thinking about the chairman health issue in the past days, and people talking about this family business, and the bureaucracy. Just rumours and etc. But yeah they're in tough days and trying to transform or cut off some departments which can't bring much profits.

I wish you luck and a working NX1 for a long time! 

Samsung doesn't understand how the video/photo world functions and they showed it all along. For years they made shitty cameras. When they make a good system, they kill it young. Who can trust Samsung??

love my NX1 and it will last me a lonnnnng time but this is it for me and Samsung products if the support will have me in limbo like this