jacoblewis

Is Samsung shutting down their camera business?

In Portugal, samsung cameras werent sold often (the highest model i've seen was the NX300, or NX500 if you order it online), and the NX1 was never released here...I ordered it from Italy, I dont think they'd quit the camera business, specially after winning so many awards with the NX1, but if they do, im still very confident the NX1 is the best video camera around, and im quite happy to have it.

The only thing that held back me from getting the nx1 was that there are no speedboosters. I feel like once you tried and owned the full frame look you dont want to leave it.

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

non of the video/photo companies are a rich as Samsung, so there it no way they were bought out. it is probably just not profitable for them. even if they put out a 12mp 6k 120fps camera it will not sell nowhere as much as canon or nikon will.

You'd struggle geting 6k out of 12mp.  I picked 12mp specifically because it gives native 4k at full 16 by 9 crop.  The idea of them not making any profit actually supports rather than undermines a "buy out" theory.  A few million up front is better than no profit.  Canon and sony should know that samsung can completely undercut their pro lines. Perhaps samsung don't. The difference between this and outright selling the camera division is that the technology can be used in smartphones etc.

The only thing that held back me from getting the nx1 was that there are no speedboosters. I feel like once you tried and owned the full frame look you dont want to leave it.

I would kill to have a speedbooster, I too love the full frame aesthetic, but I wouldnt sacrifice the quality of the NX1 for that look, I dont really understand why no company has tried to make a speedbooster for the NX1, even with its "small" user base, it would boost the camera, and sell like hot cakes.

I would kill to have a speedbooster, I too love the full frame aesthetic, but I wouldnt sacrifice the quality of the NX1 for that look, I dont really understand why no company has tried to make a speedbooster for the NX1, even with its "small" user base, it would boost the camera, and sell like hot cakes.

Direct quote from Metabones : "Will Samsung NX cameras be supported?

No. Unfortunately, it is not possible to fit the optics inside the Samsung NX mount owing to flange distance and physical interference issues"

So sadly no speed boosters, but some electronic adapters would be nice. 

Direct quote from Metabones : "Will Samsung NX cameras be supported?

No. Unfortunately, it is not possible to fit the optics inside the Samsung NX mount owing to flange distance and physical interference issues"

So sadly no speed boosters, but some electronic adapters would be nice. 

You invested in possibly the best video camera released in recent history, if they do stop selling them, they can actually become more valuable.

That makes me really happy.  I feel like they have so much potential as a camera company.  As much as I love blackmagic and what they're doing in the market, I still love the form factor of a DSLR for certain applications.  And I feel like Samsung has the best DSLR for video on the market.  Their features (especially at that cost). Their simple menu system. Their gorgeous rec.709 color science (I don't need / want a LOG profile, I'm shooting on a DSLR. Which means it's lower budget. Which means I'm not going to spend countless hours coloring it.  I reserve that time for bigger budgets, which permit me to use heavier-duty cameras and spend longer hours perfecting the LOG or raw image — sorry, that was sort of ranting).  

And if by that rant it wasn't obvious already, I'll just say it: I hate Sony cameras.  I love reading their spec sheets. But I cringe watching the footage. It's just ugly as butt (apart from their older line of sensors like the F35.  All these newer cameras with native 2000+ ISO crap just looks terrible). And while Sony isn't as expensive as Canon, it's still rather pricey. Especially when compared to what Blackmagic has to offer. The color science is gorgeous.  The menu system is intuitive.  The specs they provide are unmatched at the cost the offer. And for the same reasons that I love Blackmagic,  I love what Samsung has done in the DLSR market. And I'm so glad to see they are not going anywhere.

First of all on the topic, I personally don't think Samsung are going anywhere.

They have one of the biggest CMOS sensor facilities in the world for starters.

If there's any truth at all in the rumour, maybe they will leave the low-end compact camera business, which is probably where the rumour started and then rivals exaggerated it. Low end compact cameras are dead.

My friend Jacob I feel you have the wrong idea about LOG and Sony cameras!

LOG doesn't need hours perfecting it, you can put a preset LUT on it in post in about 5 seconds!

This means you only have to perfect the look once and then it can be repeated. If you don't want to make your own then you can download some or just use a plugin like Film Convert. If you don't think the ability to apply one of a thousand picture profiles in post rather than 6 similar in-camera ones is good for lower budget filmmakers then that's up to you!

There's a slew of Sony footage online which is poorly or incorrectly graded LOG. Yes Canon and Fuji have better out of the box colour, same goes even for the way their sensor raw files come out in Adobe Camera Raw, but the difference is not as wide as the gap between badly graded footage and stuff which has been left alone!

Yeah, it is unlikely Samsung would update the NX1 any further anyway... They've already given a lot for the money.

Even if this is a rumor, the NX2 or NX1 Mark II would be out in around 6 months to a year, so don't count on any further firmware updates anyway. 

Would be a real pity if they did stop producing high end cams as they did a nice job with the NX1. I'd love to see the NX2 with inbuilt IBIS and some sort of flat profile  

If indeed they aren't exiting, they need to release some sort of lens roadmap to stop these rumours once and for all. 

VLog?  They never advertised this feature?   They never promised this feature?  So it's something you can hope for only.

Also V-Log is Panasonic Log. Already existed on higher end cameras of the brand and they "converted" it to the GH4 (same with Sony and S-Log). And if you remember there actually wasn't any flat profile at all on the GH2 or GH3. We had to wait till GH4 to have the Cine-D profile and later on V-Log.

Now if you compare to Samsung, they implemented Gamma DR (which is a flat profile, just not as flat as Log) with a free firmware update in their first "prosumers" camera. So they basically did in a few month and one camera what took Panasonic 3-4 years and several cameras. And also if I may add, the implementation of Cine-D or V-Log on panasonic cameras is far from being great. A lot of users were unhappy with it and reported a ton of noise on both cine-d and v-log. And also same thing with sony and S-Log 2 on A7S, a lot of users reported having crappy colors (green skin tones). 

But I appreciate that Samsung doesn't try to trick us into thinking that the NX1 sensor has 15 stops of usable dynamic range (cf Panasonic with v-log) with in fact delivering some crappy compression or noise. 

So personally I'm not super fan of Log profiles on 8bits cameras with highly compressed codecs, although Sony seems to have mastered that with the A7s II, but it is a long process and I think we don't appreciate how quickly Samsung closed the gap with other companies that needed years and different camera markets to master. 

Yeah...imagine if they added 10bit video to compete with new cameras. They could start a war with software updates. I doubt it though...they can't even fix the manual focus issue with Samsung lenses I doubt they would do those big things.

Too much  smoke now to ignore the fire.   I work in the industry and I know one of my customers tried to order stock and can't even get an email reply, All Australian retailers have now dropped them and the buyer has been moved to phones.     Samsung, obviously expected huge success with the NX1 and only got OK sales.   So they have pulled the pin.  The reason they have still turned up to shows is to protect the channels and the stock they need to move.