jacoblewis

Is Samsung shutting down their camera business?

I will be mad as hell if this conference is about the touch screen refrigerator they announced the other day and not the successor to the NX1 ! ?

You are right in the end, there is just the new refrigerator with their newest camera embedded in the door. We should by the new refrigerator and start filming our vegetables according to samsung:p

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

You are right in the end, there is just the new refrigerator with their newest camera embedded in the door. We should by the new refrigerator and start filming our vegetables according to samsung:p

lmaaooo dude !

All switching to Sony?

Already did... If I'm gonna buy lenses. Might as well by them for a system that will remain relevant for the foreseeable future. Loving the A7Rii. Mind you,  mine has only ever had the 3.0 firmware. So no issues with overheating.

I have been reading this thread sinece the rumours about Samsung dropping the NX line started. Have been thinking about getting a Samsung NX1 since it came out. (First post here.)

Still, even thought it seems really dropped so far I will probably be going to buy a kit if the prices go down or otherwise a used NX1, 16-50 S & 50-150 S lenses. It still seems like a good minimalist package.

Even thought I usually have Nikon and mainly AF-D glass, and it would seem that getting a D500/D7200 would be the best choice, Nikon seems to have a way crippling it's products and while I generally like Nikons products, the last years "no no, lets not update simple things but wait until we get a new product in place instead" has put me off a bit. The way Samsung rolled out firmware releases was quite good. I guess that a way to keep the firmware for the camera "alive" would be ppl pooling together resources in a Mozilla/Kickstarter kind of way.

I guess that the H.265 codec will be eventually supported so for a couple of years this camera should work . And I think that for stills and short video clips it should be OK. Will be moving this way from a old Nikon D2Xs (no video) and V1 setup to anyway a better DSLR with Video.

And about Sony. The A7ii series are good, very tempted. But it doesn't seem as fast in use. But technically seems very competent.

Anyone tried btw the film simulations (Custom Modes) or so from thePro Suggest markes?

I wonder how the guy at mirrorlessrumours.com feels today?

His rumor may still be true. A Nikon-Samsung collaboration would presumably hinge around mirrorless cameras, and the jury is still out on those since none were announced at CES.

Already did... If I'm gonna buy lenses. Might as well by them for a system that will remain relevant for the foreseeable future. Loving the A7Rii. Mind you,  mine has only ever had the 3.0 firmware. So no issues with overheating.

well the sony system has definitely more love from other companies which make lenses and accessories. 

I wonder how the guy at mirrorlessrumours.com feels today?

dude lost all credibility with me. Then again what do you expect from a rumor site. Anyone can start one

All switching to Sony?

it's between the a7sii and 5d mark iii in raw for  me. I have to weigh the pro's and con's of the 5d. I already have the nx1 for high res stills so I don't need a7rii and I want to move up from an 8bit workflow to RAW for the flexibility. You can grade with VSCO thanks to the raw conversion and that's nuts ! If the 5d raw workflow is too off putting i'll get an a7sii 

dude lost all credibility with me. Then again what do you expect from a rumor site. Anyone can start one

it's between the a7sii and 5d mark iii in raw for  me. I have to weigh the pro's and con's of the 5d. I already have the nx1 for high res stills so I don't need a7rii and I want to move up from an 8bit workflow to RAW for the flexibility. You can grade with VSCO thanks to the raw conversion and that's nuts ! If the 5d raw workflow is too off putting i'll get an a7sii 

You'll keep your NX1? I am considering selling off my nx500 and get a used 5D Mark II for Raw. The iq is just undeniable and I didn't realize how cheap a good condition used one is going for now. Or maybe a BMPCC? Idk. Choices. Choices. 

You'll keep your NX1? I am considering selling off my nx500 and get a used 5D Mark II for Raw. The iq is just undeniable and I didn't realize how cheap a good condition used one is going for now. Or maybe a BMPCC? Idk. Choices. Choices. 

im keeping my NX1 for sure ! The stills quality in raw mode is phenomenal especially downscaled. 14 bit raw is no joke. The Canon RAW mode is a sweet deal but im aiming for a mark iii. No way in hell im paying over 2k for it though. Need to invest in a Zacuto or Varavon loupe to go handheld like I used to with my t3i

Also looking into visioncolor's color science for the 5D raw modes. 

http://www.vision-color.com/camera-profiles/

Still some life on the Samsung camera front... :p

CX_fpKoUkAAn3Iz.jpg

~ https://twitter.com/hashtag/ProjectBeyond?src=hash

Well they showed quite a few different cameras in that clip, but what they didn't show was any NX cameras. Looks like Samsung would rather distance themselves from the NX line. This clip speaks volumes. The opening line says, "We build tools to tell stories", and not one picture of the tools Samsung actually built. Nuff said!!!

im keeping my NX1 for sure ! The stills quality in raw mode is phenomenal especially downscaled. 14 bit raw is no joke. The Canon RAW mode is a sweet deal but im aiming for a mark iii. No way in hell im paying over 2k for it though. Need to invest in a Zacuto or Varavon loupe to go handheld like I used to with my t3i

Also looking into visioncolor's color science for the 5D raw modes. 

http://www.vision-color.com/camera-profiles/

what kinda paid gigs do you do, when you're not on active duty? music videos? narratives?

what kinda paid gigs do you do, when you're not on active duty? music videos? narratives?

mostly music videos & video clips for local businesses instagram. But to be honest most of my work these days is for the navy until I finish my contract. Some of it is combat oriented, some are for award ceremonies & some are shorts I've written to bring awareness to certain things like sexual assault etc.

soon i'll get back to my own projects 

I'm finally 100% convinced that Samsung killed the NX line.  This is what I was waiting for:

https://mobile.twitter.com/dpreview/status/684830629469421569

What a bunch of quitters! Did they really think the NX1 and NX500 would take the world by storm and bring Canon/Nikon/Sony to their knees?  The NX1 was about as successful as they should have reasonably expected and the future had so much promise. How could they give up now after years of developing their suite of lenses and all the tech behind the NX1? What a waste. SMH 

I'm finally 100% convinced that Samsung killed the NX line.  This is what I was waiting for:

https://mobile.twitter.com/dpreview/status/684830629469421569

What a bunch of quitters! Did they really think the NX1 and NX500 would take the world by storm and bring Canon/Nikon/Sony to their knees?  The NX1 was about as successful as they should have reasonably expected and the future had so much promise. How could they give up now after years of developing their suite of lenses and all the tech behind the NX1? What a waste. SMH 

Well, that was also what I was waiting for. Quite telling.

How long pause was it between teh GX and NX lines? Can it be somethings similar here? And that will their lens-making staff be doing instead? For all theese things you got to have staff..and they probably don't come cheap, or are numerous iether. Or are Samsungs NX lenses designed by some outsourced firm?

Well, that was also what I was waiting for. Quite telling.

How long pause was it between teh GX and NX lines? Can it be somethings similar here? And that will their lens-making staff be doing instead? For all theese things you got to have staff..and they probably don't come cheap, or are numerous iether. Or are Samsungs NX lenses designed by some outsourced firm?

What I wonder is how they expect people to trust them to buy their cameras if they come back with a new line in a few years? GX, NX... Fool me once, fool me twice...