jacoblewis

Is Samsung shutting down their camera business?

Specs have leaked for the new Fuji sensor in the X Pro 2. No 4K, just 1080/60p.

So sad Fuji have not translated their prior advantages in the film industry into the digital era... They have great cine optics and film stocks, yet no digital product range for cinema and video, just some stills cameras for hipsters.

They even design their own sensors so it's not like they haven't got the most key resource sitting right in front of them to create a proper digital cinema camera.

4K is more than just the sensor though, in theory pretty much any of the current camera sensors should be capable of it. The bottleneck for 4K implementation lies more on the processor side, and Fuji likely don't have significant investment there. Consequently they will always be behind the competition when it comes to video features.

I tried your method few hours ago. It's fine, but it'd be even better if the focusing aid window could appear during video. I find focus peaking too 'generous' in the sense that more details are highlighted than those really in focus...

I think the reason for that is that peaking is calculated off contrast differences in the image, and it is much easier to get a contrast difference in the full frame than in a subframe. Consequently things that may not be in focus in the full frame may showing peaking anyway. Samsung is not alone in this, my RX100M3 has the same issue. Peaking is useless when using the full image since just about everything will show it. You need to use the subframe mode to get accurate focus.

One of the things I really like about the NX1 incidentally is the DMF mode, which allows you to get focus with autofocus, then make fine adjustments with manual. Personally I have found it very useful, especially when dealing with critical dof, and a game changer compared to my old Canon.

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Is samsung participating at CES?

Is that a joke?

CES is the Consumer Electronic Show and Samsung is one of if not the largest consumer electronics manufacturer in the world lol. Their press conference stars in 1 hour.

https://live.theverge.com/samsung-ces-2016-press-conference-liveblog/?_ga=1.62201260.1850683479.1452023119

But it will most likely be all about washing machines that you can play angry birds oppose to camera related stuff like Nikon.

LOL washing machines you can play angry birds on.

How about a new Samsung microwave that detects if your take away is late and prepares to a re-heating program for you.

Or a oven you can connect a USB keyboard to and install Microsoft Powerpoint, then you can bask in the warm glow whilst preparing a presentation.

Yeah, let's face it. It's game, set and match for Samsung's mirrorless camera business.

I have little faith in something new. So, appreciate what you have and work with that or abandon ship while still some debris is around to grab a hold of and float on in hope of finding another boat to still take you to your destination.

Is that a joke?

CES is the Consumer Electronic Show and Samsung is one of if not the largest consumer electronics manufacturer in the world lol. Their press conference stars in 1 hour.

https://live.theverge.com/samsung-ces-2016-press-conference-liveblog/?_ga=1.62201260.1850683479.1452023119

But it will most likely be all about washing machines that you can play angry birds oppose to camera related stuff like Nikon.

I will be mad as hell if this conference is about the touch screen refrigerator they announced the other day and not the successor to the NX1 ! ?

The touchscreen refrigerator got roughly 10 minutes.  The Samsung NX line got exactly zero.  I'm not sure they ever included their NX line in their press conferences for CES, but it doesn't bode well.  

Who will be the first to report from the Samsung booth at CES?  If there are no NX cameras or lenses, it's time to call it.  In past years Samsung has had a small NX display at CES.  If it's gone, well, you know.

The touchscreen refrigerator got roughly 10 minutes.  The Samsung NX line got exactly zero.  I'm not sure they ever included their NX line in their press conferences for CES, but it doesn't bode well.  

Who will be the first to report from the Samsung booth at CES?  If there are no NX cameras or lenses, it's time to call it.  In past years Samsung has had a small NX display at CES.  If it's gone, well, you know.

Jeez man. What if Samsung really did give their sensor tech to nikon ? Nikon just announced a d5 with 4k video 

Jeez man. What if Samsung really did give their sensor tech to nikon ? Nikon just announced a d5 with 4k video 

Yeah, which has zero Samsung tech yet... like I've said before: 'if I were any of the big guys out there, I don't see much appeal to the NX-mount/eco system. I might only be interested in their design structure, they manage to pull crazy data from the sensor, makes the others look like they've got Pentium II processing or something.' D5: 3 mins @ 4K, obviously they need it.

And concerning them attending CES with touchy fridges...

That's exactly the case...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Electronics

They won't even bother mentioning their cameras in that introduction...

... and no mention from Samsung at CES either... surprisingly...

Har har, very funny. If it were a Samsung chip at least it would not have the massive crop in 4K mode!

the Nikon is cropping their 4k mode ? I pray that's not the case and I am reading this wrong. Once again Nikon cripples their own video performance for no good reason smh

the Nikon is cropping their 4k mode ? I pray that's not the case and I am reading this wrong. Once again Nikon cripples their own video performance for no good reason smh

Yes see the D5 and D500 threads.

Think Samsung NX500 but $6000 and no mirrorless mount.

Hardly a NX1 performer.

Yeah, which has zero Samsung tech yet... like I've said before: 'if I were any of the big guys out there, I don't see much appeal to the NX-mount/eco system. I might only be interested in their design structure, they manage to pull crazy data from the sensor, makes the others look like they've got Pentium II processing or something.' D5: 3 mins @ 4K, obviously they need it.

And concerning them attending CES with touchy fridges...

... and no mention from Samsung at CES either... surprisingly...

this sucks dude ! Samsung really dropped the ball. The NX1 is about to be a glorious antique....kinda like a DeLorean lol

NX1 is an awesome camera. But I believe their days in this market have come to a end. Look only to Sony for innovations now.

agreed. Maybe now Canon will poke their chest out and give us a competing camerathat  aint $8000 ? One can dream. 

Yes see the D5 and D500 threads.

Think Samsung NX500 but $6000 and no mirrorless mount.

Hardly a NX1 performer.

You should send them an email on behalf of all of us asking them : WHY ?!

I think we all want to know how someone as big as Nikon who pioneered video with the d90 can be so stubborn & dumb smh