Is Samsung shutting down their camera business?

The sad part of this camera is also third party compatibility. For instance for my current job I would like to use this camera for pictures and I need a multi use super zoom.

The only one made by Samsung is the 18-200mm which seems to be discontinued/difficult to find and extremely expensive consider how (apparently) optically bad it is.

So:

- no company makes AF lenses for the NX system
- no company makes AF adapters for other systems
- no company makes battery grips for the NX1
- lenses are kinda expensive and stuck with the Samsung ones

I'm super OK with using all kind of manual lenses for video but for other purposes the NX system has never boomed and nx1 didn't help a bit. Would be great to get cheap and good AF lenses from Tamron.

bro I think you should say fuck it and go with some other camera manufacturers products. There's a long list from fuji to nikon who makes great products. 

I can see you legitimately getting grey hair over this thing. If Samsung don't make what you need then don't stick around hoping that one day they will. Hopefully you didn't buy the nx1, if you're still on the fence I would advise you not to invest in their products for the sake of your own sanity

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There. I solved the ENTIRE problem.

You're funny. But... I think it all started when Andrew Reid put ZackGoodwin in a figure four leg lock over a Samsung 2/3 inch lens that Ed David thought was morally wrong to support. While Ebrahim ex

There's only selected markets left and the fact that even there accessories like the batteries are unavailable makes it quite likely that a global stop is imminent, just weird that they don't man up a

Posted Images

bro I think you should say fuck it and go with some other camera manufacturers products. There's a long list from fuji to nikon who makes great products. 

I can see you legitimately getting grey hair over this thing. If Samsung don't make what you need then don't stick around hoping that one day they will. Hopefully you didn't buy the nx1, if you're still on the fence I would advise you not to invest in their products for the sake of your own sanity

Don't make him buy Fuji, he'll go bonkers waiting for them to fix the moirè and aliasing in video mode ;-)

But I agree, seems Samsung might be the wrong choice. But then who makes interesting AF lenses for any mirrorless system? The Zeiss Touit for Fuji X were just stuff Fuji already made but with a higher price. For Sony E mount it also seems to be more or less only manual glass besides the f/2.8 APS-C primes that Sigma did a whole while ago.

Samsung's curse is basically that there's not Metabones smart adapter (and probably will never be now).

Don't make him buy Fuji, he'll go bonkers waiting for them to fix the moirè and aliasing in video mode ;-)

But I agree, seems Samsung might be the wrong choice. But then who makes interesting AF lenses for any mirrorless system? The Zeiss Touit for Fuji X were just stuff Fuji already made but with a higher price. For Sony E mount it also seems to be more or less only manual glass besides the f/2.8 APS-C primes that Sigma did a whole while ago.

Samsung's curse is basically that there's not Metabones smart adapter (and probably will never be now).

lmao ! We've been waiting for fuji to create a camera with video as good as their stills for centuries ? I personally don't care for AF lenses but I know there's plenty that do. Dude might as well go to Sony I hear the AF performance on the a7sii and a7rii is pretty sweet

• Administrators

lmao ! We've been waiting for fuji to create a camera with video as good as their stills for centuries ? I personally don't care for AF lenses but I know there's plenty that do. Dude might as well go to Sony I hear the AF performance on the a7sii and a7rii is pretty sweet

Specs have leaked for the new Fuji sensor in the X Pro 2. No 4K, just 1080/60p.

So sad Fuji have not translated their prior advantages in the film industry into the digital era... They have great cine optics and film stocks, yet no digital product range for cinema and video, just some stills cameras for hipsters.

They even design their own sensors so it's not like they haven't got the most key resource sitting right in front of them to create a proper digital cinema camera.

@Marco  

For me nothing beats a nice crisp monitor. I rarely use focus peaking, because it`s not something that you can rely on 100%.

In a controled shoot I always set markers, for run n gun kinda shooting there is not that much that I could advise...know your gear and get used to it. Shoot with a wider angle than usually.

So sad Fuji have not translated their prior advantages in the film industry into the digital era... They have great cine optics and film stocks, yet no digital product range for cinema and video, just some stills cameras for hipsters.

They even design their own sensors so it's not like they haven't got the most key resource sitting right in front of them to create a proper digital cinema camera.

exactly ! With custom built sensors these companies are more than capable of bringing stellar video performance each with their own personal aesthetic. At this point I believe it is a combination of stubbornness and out right refusal to bring quality video to their products. They shouldn't offer video options at all if they plan on crippling it in the final product but thats just my two cents :P

I think only the A7r II, the S variants have no phase detect pixels and will naturally therefore have slower AF function. Phase detect is obviously also a big asset when doing continous autofocus during video recording as traditional contrast detect relies on overshooting the target and then go back to determine perfect focus.

I think for stills their cameras are quite good because they have competitive specs, good EVF (mainly the X-T1) or even unique points like the hybrid OVF+EVF. They're clearly the mirrorless system with the most attractive lens lineup, having started with prime lenses instead of ridiculous f/3.5-5.6 consumer zooms. Now that they have 16mm, 23mm, 35mm and 56mm at f/1.4 or faster plus a bunch of slower primes, ultra wideangle, zooms (even f/2.8) and even soon super-telefoto I think they have covered bases that other systems only dream of.
A big no no is the X-Trans sensor which is so complex in debayering which is easily seen in how much discussion there is regarding which RAW converter can actually make grass, etc. look good. I'm quite sure that is also the reason their video function image quality is so damn awful, there probably is just not enough performance in the camera to do all the sensor read out, debayering, noise reduction, etc. without worst case line skipping. At the same time I don't believe there really is a practically usable sharpness or ISO sensitivity advantage in regards to other systems based on APS-C sensors.

Kidz, something I already wanted to ask but I forgot: could you share your manual focusing technique? I find it so difficult to carefully manual focus during video, even with focus peaking turned on all the time!

I use focus peaking on the gh4 & a7s. With the nx1 I use the zoom in magic window feature thingie instead of focus peaking. With the nx1 Punch in,adjust focus till the details you want display max sharpness/detail, switch to standby mode and record. While recording the evf is so sharp you can make minute changes to focus and even use the distance scale on your lens to judge. Hope this helps !

The question is what one considers "ready for paid jobs". Seeing how many people shoot events with a Canon/Nikon FF and the 24-70mm f/2.8 + 70-200mm f/2.8 lenses I think these would be completely capable to do it with the NX1 plus the 16-50mm f/2-2.8 and the 50-150mm f/2.8. The people who shoot portraits/events with stuff like 50 1.2 and 85 1.2 for the (some call it fad) shallow DoF look might say the system is not ready, but then they probably wouldn't shoot APS-C camera anyway. Architecture would be ok, you can adapt a tilt shift lens from another system, they anyway have no autofocus. Studiowork with strobes is also ok, you don't shoot TTL so you don't need a native flash system.

I think what's clearly missing is long tele lenses for people shooting sport (300mm 2.8, etc.) and f/1.2 or f/1.4 primes. But besides that? I think the others might be right and you're just in general not in balance with the system and should look for a different one when you want to cover video and stills with one system,

I really really really want this camera, and I have been doing research for the past 2 weeks on the NX1. I love the video image and I also love the still images (something I never was too fond of on the GH cameras). I personally always respected Andrew Reids...opinion on cameras...AGES ago when the GH1 came out...I asked him for something specific pertaining to the camera ( I forget what it was...a setting/update/hack or something) and he emailed it to me right away. It may to be the most popular camera, but I love the images I have sen from the camera. Worried about wether or not Samsung, will stop support for their cameras, but that isn't 100% a deal breaker.

I was complaining about the picture side of this system that clearly is not ready and will probably never be. I bought the NX1 for video basically. Is anyone using the NX1 for pics (paid jobs)?

*sigh*....I was doing paid gigs with a gh3....a t3i...etc.

lord knows if you can't take pics worthy of being printed with a 28mp camera with no anti aliasing filter Buddha himself has to actually come down from the heavens and take some shots for you.

All jokes aside the NX1 is great for pictures. The NX1 and pretty much everything else that's available that has interchangeable lenses. Im old school I guess, AF performance and a line of lenses with AF was never a concern for me as I can always...turn the focus ring myself without the aid of a computer.  

So idk if you can say the camera "isn't ready" to take professional pictures. I think maybe you should ask If you yourself are ready to do so. 

That's not a slight against your professionalism or your body of work. It just seems like there probably isn't a camera in the market today that can satisfy your high standards. Wait till CES when something new and groundbreaking is announced. :P

I really really really want this camera, and I have been doing research for the past 2 weeks on the NX1. I love the video image and I also love the still images (something I never was too fond of on the GH cameras). I personally always respected Andrew Reids...opinion on cameras...AGES ago when the GH1 came out...I asked him for something specific pertaining to the camera ( I forget what it was...a setting/update/hack or something) and he emailed it to me right away. It may to be the most popular camera, but I love the images I have sen from the camera. Worried about wether or not Samsung, will stop support for their cameras, but that isn't 100% a deal breaker.

if you like what you see from it buy it. You can use the image quality to justify your rates and make $. When you make the $ you can afford to invest in the system or to move onto a more popular one. This is what's helping me sleep at night right now knowing that I bought the nx1 and an expensive novoflex adapter for it LOL

I use focus peaking on the gh4 & a7s. With the nx1 I use the zoom in magic window feature thingie instead of focus peaking. With the nx1 Punch in,adjust focus till the details you want display max sharpness/detail, switch to standby mode and record. While recording the evf is so sharp you can make minute changes to focus and even use the distance scale on your lens to judge. Hope this helps !

I tried your method few hours ago. It's fine, but it'd be even better if the focusing aid window could appear during video. I find focus peaking too 'generous' in the sense that more details are highlighted than those really in focus...

*sigh*....I was doing paid gigs with a gh3....a t3i...etc.

lord knows if you can't take pics worthy of being printed with a 28mp camera with no anti aliasing filter Buddha himself has to actually come down from the heavens and take some shots for you.

All jokes aside the NX1 is great for pictures. The NX1 and pretty much everything else that's available that has interchangeable lenses. Im old school I guess, AF performance and a line of lenses with AF was never a concern for me as I can always...turn the focus ring myself without the aid of a computer.  

So idk if you can say the camera "isn't ready" to take professional pictures. I think maybe you should ask If you yourself are ready to do so. 

That's not a slight against your professionalism or your body of work. It just seems like there probably isn't a camera in the market today that can satisfy your high standards. Wait till CES when something new and groundbreaking is announced. :p

if you like what you see from it buy it. You can use the image quality to justify your rates and make $. When you make the $ you can afford to invest in the system or to move onto a more popular one. This is what's helping me sleep at night right now knowing that I bought the nx1 and an expensive novoflex adapter for it LOL

You're absolutely right and I always take pics in manual focus. It was my mistake I ddint explain myself. It's a job that absolutely requires autofocus (people on the slopes skiing). And no one making lenses for this system or mirrorless cameras in general is a downside for this usage don't you think?

I tried your method few hours ago. It's fine, but it'd be even better if the focusing aid window could appear during video. I find focus peaking too 'generous' in the sense that more details are highlighted than those really in focus...

i agree, the focus peaking is GARBAGE ! According to the focus peaking even on low everything is always in focus 

You're absolutely right and I always take pics in manual focus. It was my mistake I ddint explain myself. It's a job that absolutely requires autofocus (people on the slopes skiing). And no one making lenses for this system or mirrorless cameras in general is a downside for this usage don't you think?

not at all BUT that is my personal opinion. According to those that shoot with autofocus samsung has the best af for video so I would pick up a native lens. In the case of shooting people skiing I would stop the lens down to like f5.6 - f8 and take advantage of the deeper depth of field of the super35 sensor. Focus pull like a champ !!!

That's true when shooting wide and stopped down, but in my experience peaking is great when going long with shallow DoF. In fact, I find it easier to shoot video at the long end of my 16-50 S because the peaking is very specific (and accurate) on what is in focus. When you have to shoot wide, using the AF might be the best option because after the last firmware update, video AF been pretty darn good with less hunting.

It (others not making AF lenses) is a problem, but only in terms of pricing. But if you're willing to pay, the 16-50 S is incredible in what it does. I've been shooting with L series Canon lenses, and the 16-50 S performance has been as good or better. In fact, it's been phenomenal. There is also a 50-150 S, but that's expensive too. As I said earlier, if you're looking for competitive pricing, you're better off sticking to a bigger system like Canon's...at least for now.

4K is more than just the sensor though, in theory pretty much any of the current camera sensors should be capable of it. The bottleneck for 4K implementation lies more on the processor side, and Fuji likely don't have significant investment there. Consequently they will always be behind the competition when it comes to video features.

I think the reason for that is that peaking is calculated off contrast differences in the image, and it is much easier to get a contrast difference in the full frame than in a subframe. Consequently things that may not be in focus in the full frame may showing peaking anyway. Samsung is not alone in this, my RX100M3 has the same issue. Peaking is useless when using the full image since just about everything will show it. You need to use the subframe mode to get accurate focus.

One of the things I really like about the NX1 incidentally is the DMF mode, which allows you to get focus with autofocus, then make fine adjustments with manual. Personally I have found it very useful, especially when dealing with critical dof, and a game changer compared to my old Canon.