Is Samsung shutting down their camera business?

I'm rather skeptical about a D300 successor ("D400") arriving, as it seems like Nikon users have been waiting for a D400 since time began!
But with the NX1 sensor (and especially an improved "NX2" sensor, whatever that is), it would tick the boxes for exactly what Nikon could want in a high end DX body. 

And also, Nikon has to at "some point" make the jump to mirrorless if it wishes to survive into the next decade. But doing the DSLR to mirrorless switch would be very very risky....   keeping the NX mount (branding it "Nikon X" mount, or  "NX" for short) could be a move which helps ease the risk. As they've got a ready to go stable of lenses, that they can just slap the "Nikon" label onto. As a lack of strong lens selection is usual the worse problem with any new mirrorless launch (one Nikon 1 and Sony FE are still kinda struggling under). Samsung NX's lens line up is far from perfect, but it is an incredibly strong starting point for Nikon to use. 

Lauching a mirrorless DX rather than going full hog with a mirrorless FX camera could also be a good way to ease into the mirrorless world (as Nikon 1 isn't going to cut it in the long run for replacing their high end). My big big big concern is if the NX mount can handle a full frame sensor in it?? As Nikon would never launch another mirrorless system that doesn't allow them to go full frame in the long run to get the high and compete against Sony head to head (so it needs to be like Sony's E mount, starting with APS-C then going full frame later on. Can the NX mount do this and handle a full frame sensor inside it??). 

And finally, as a Nikon shooter I'd love to see an intelligent adapter for Nikon F to NX to arrive!! (which Nikon must surely launch, if it is going with a "Nikon X" mount mirrorless system)

IF Nikon were to take over the NX portfolio, any full frame camera they made would without question retain compatibility with current Nikkor lenses. If they kept the NX mount it would pretty much be limited to crop sensor mirrorless cameras only since the existing NX lenses are all designed for that sensor size and would not be suitable for FF. There would be no advantage to using the NX mount in FF and they would lose access to all of their legacy glass, so that wont happen.

7d-ii can't do 4k...and in general is a lower end camera, imo.

I agree, if you are considering hybrids, since the 7D2 is mediocre in video. But it is still an excellent stills camera and does give some idea of the depreciation of a camera body value in this price range for a body that is discontinued/partially obsolete. If a new 7D2 is effectively being sold for $900, what does that put a used body at? Taking that into account, the NX1 is holding onto value surprisingly well.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There. I solved the ENTIRE problem.

You're funny. But... I think it all started when Andrew Reid put ZackGoodwin in a figure four leg lock over a Samsung 2/3 inch lens that Ed David thought was morally wrong to support. While Ebrahim ex

There's only selected markets left and the fact that even there accessories like the batteries are unavailable makes it quite likely that a global stop is imminent, just weird that they don't man up a

Posted Images

arguably we do not know the metrics of their social media campaign to contribute success or lack of success to the sales of samsung cameras because of the hashtag. Cameras were selling way before the rise of social media. There undoubtably are other factors that would prevent someone from investing in the NX line. Top of the list (to me) as to why someone wouldn't buy an nx1 or nx2 if it ever happens is the fact that samsung has a long reputation of selling crap cameras...its hard to remove that stigma from your brand even when you create something as well developed as the nx1 

Devin Allen just gave a little shout-out to Samsung towards the end of this interview with him.

http://***URL removed***/articles/2921271449/pix-2015-a-conversation-with-devin-allen

I'm worried about lenses honestly and general support.

adapt lenses ! And it's not like you get better support from anyone else tbh. The best support comes from Magic Lantern and they are third party LOL. I used to worry about that stuff and idc. Im only worried about working out the kinks and understanding the camera so I can use it professionally. 

the lack of FW updates is not a good sign.

I used to originally shoot Canon when I started my photography hobby (500D-> 5D II -> 1Ds III -> 5D III) and if lack of firmware updates was an indication for a company going out of business, Canon would be long ago. There was never any meaningful improvement above bugfixing either.

All you can do to know is wait for an official statement.

• Administrators

the lack of FW updates is not a good sign.

Yes all gone a bit quiet considering the roll they were on.

Poor, poor NX1.

If they have just discontinued and it and re-jigged their European sales strategy I might understand it...

I still think they are pulling out altogether though, it all seems a bit drastic for a re-shake.

If they come back soon with a full frame camera, please serve my words with some nice sauce to make them taste better.

I used to originally shoot Canon when I started my photography hobby (500D-> 5D II -> 1Ds III -> 5D III) and if lack of firmware updates was an indication for a company going out of business, Canon would be long ago. There was never any meaningful improvement above bugfixing either.

All you can do to know is wait for an official statement.

exactly. When I shot Canon it was Magic lantern who answered my  woes

The sad part of this camera is also third party compatibility. For instance for my current job I would like to use this camera for pictures and I need a multi use super zoom.

The only one made by Samsung is the 18-200mm which seems to be discontinued/difficult to find and extremely expensive consider how (apparently) optically bad it is.

So:

- no company makes AF lenses for the NX system
- no company makes AF adapters for other systems
- no company makes battery grips for the NX1
- lenses are kinda expensive and stuck with the Samsung ones

I'm super OK with using all kind of manual lenses for video but for other purposes the NX system has never boomed and nx1 didn't help a bit. Would be great to get cheap and good AF lenses from Tamron.

The sad part of this camera is also third party compatibility. For instance for my current job I would like to use this camera for pictures and I need a multi use super zoom.

The only one made by Samsung is the 18-200mm which seems to be discontinued/difficult to find and extremely expensive consider how (apparently) optically bad it is.

So:

- no company makes AF lenses for the NX system
- no company makes AF adapters for other systems
- no company makes battery grips for the NX1
- lenses are kinda expensive and stuck with the Samsung ones

I'm super OK with using all kind of manual lenses for video but for other purposes the NX system has never boomed and nx1 didn't help a bit. Would be great to get cheap and good AF lenses from Tamron.

Sandro, you seem to be unhappy with pretty much everything. Cheer up man, at least as the new year begins, life is too short to worry about minutia/trivia. Not sure where you are located, but 18-200 (which doesn't seem like a great option to begin with) is available at B&H, and Samsung has a great battery/vertical grip (I have one).

With your attitude, you might be better off switching to a traditional system like Canon's, where you have a ton of compatible and inexpensive accessories/choices/support systems, rather than something cutting edge like the NX1.