jacoblewis

Is Samsung shutting down their camera business?

Samsung NX1 body seem to be freshly back in stock at all the major online retailers, but at their original prices.  $1499-$1699 body only.  False alarm I guess.  Maybe I should have bought one during the fire sale.  :)

Where? in the US?

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The NX1 is a great camera. Not just for video but for stills also. Granted, my old Sony A7R was easier to get good results with out of the box, whereas the NX1 initially required more work.  But when I did finally start to understand it, I was rewarded with some pretty cool pictures. I think bang for buck wise, the NX1 is a great choice. 

SAM_0993.jpg

Samsung NX1 body seem to be freshly back in stock at all the major online retailers, but at their original prices.  $1499-$1699 body only.  False alarm I guess.  Maybe I should have bought one during the fire sale.  :)

Yeah, a lot of people probably wish they bought a BMPCC when they went down to $500 last year.  Canon didn't sell the EOS-M II in the US, now the EOS-M3 is available everywhere.  If I WAS SAMSUNG I would have pulled the cameras from retailers?  Retail is for HOT products.  4K is not hot yet.  End of story.  It will be, and when it is, Samsung will pay for that distribution.  Of course, I don't know any better than anyone else what will happen. However, what difference does it make?  There is NO APS-C size 4K sensor.  If you want that kind of shallow DOF then it's either the NX1 or the full-frame SONY A7SII.  The NX1 with S lens is around $2,000.  A similar A7S2 setup is $4,000.  Even if you knew FOR SURE, that was Samsung was exiting the camera business the NX1 would STILL BE a great value at its current price.  That's not lost on the NX1 owners 

Would make me laugh if this has been a big plot by samsung to get everyone talking about the camera... Look at this forum, 70% of the recent posts have been about the NX1!

evil genius marketing lol

Samsung now have zero presence in almost every photography section of every consumer electronics retailer in Europe, not to mention pulling out of all the major photographic retailers as well.

So false alarm I don't think so.

Samsung now have zero presence in almost every photography section of every consumer electronics retailer in Europe, not to mention pulling out of all the major photographic retailers as well.

So false alarm I don't think so.

I thought the guy just said they started selling in Portugal? I just did a quick Google search and came up with a couple of PARK Cameras stores in UK (Burgess Hill and London) that seem to have it available in the stores. May be you'll say these are left-overs, but the point is they're still available.

There is a hardly used NX1 with battery grip and 16-50/2.0-2.8 for $1400 an hour drive away.
And thats just the asking price. By the way he has written the add he will at least knock of another $70, probably more.

I wonder how low it would go if the rumors where true. 

There is a hardly used NX1 with battery grip and 16-50/2.0-2.8 for $1400 an hour drive away.
And thats just the asking price. By the way he has written the add he will at least knock of another $70, probably more.

I wonder how low it would go if the rumors where true. 

god this news has people in panic mode ! I should've waited I could've got mines dirt cheap 

I thought the guy just said they started selling in Portugal? I just did a quick Google search and came up with a couple of PARK Cameras stores in UK (Burgess Hill and London) that seem to have it available in the stores. May be you'll say these are left-overs, but the point is they're still available.

I was in Park London a few days ago visiting a mate. This is the Samsung display. Image may look a little dark, I exposed for the highlights, force of habit I guess lol

IMG_20151224_152453[1].jpg

god this news has people in panic mode ! I should've waited I could've got mines dirt cheap 

That is still relatively expensive. You can get a brand new 7D2 together with a Pixma Pro-100 printer for ~$1050 at [email protected] at the moment. And that is a camera that hasn't even been discontinued.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1176700-REG/canon_eos_7d_mark_ii.html

ehhh if only the 7dii could do 4k. Maybe its better in magic lantern raw ? Really haven't been interested in anything canon lately tbh :-(

Well actually, I have good news for you :d

Samsung DOES opensource the software for many of its cameras, including the NX1.

Their main site for this is @ http://opensource.samsung.com/

But you can find a .ZIP package of the source code for the NX1 (and cameras) with this direct link @ http://opensource.samsung.com/reception/receptionSub.do?method=sub&sub=T&menu_item=photography&classification1=digital cameras

Of course you have to have an idea what you are doing to modify and build new custom releases, but if you are C/C++ savvy and have patience it can be possible. 

As a quick example -- in the past I had an NX30. For video modes out-of-the-box it supported 1080P 30fps & 60fps, but curiously 24fps was restricted to 810p (Cinemascope?). Well that was annoying, I wanted 1080P @ 24fps .... so downloaded the NX30 source code from the aforementioned site and added a mode for it myself :)

Wow, could you share that mode? :-D

All my bets are on 'nikon nx2' as stated before. Nikon would have huge benefuts from this.

As I wrote on dpr:

They lack a d300 which users have been asking for. They lack a mirrorless apsc system. They lack a high end camera for video and 4k.

Hence a "Nikon NX2" would sell millions, but it has to:

- retain nx mount (to have immediately a nice existing set of lenses, from the beginning)

- have an intelligent adapter for nikkor lense

I'm rather skeptical about a D300 successor ("D400") arriving, as it seems like Nikon users have been waiting for a D400 since time began!

But with the NX1 sensor (and especially an improved "NX2" sensor, whatever that is), it would tick the boxes for exactly what Nikon could want in a high end DX body. 

And also, Nikon has to at "some point" make the jump to mirrorless if it wishes to survive into the next decade. But doing the DSLR to mirrorless switch would be very very risky....   keeping the NX mount (branding it "Nikon X" mount, or  "NX" for short) could be a move which helps ease the risk. As they've got a ready to go stable of lenses, that they can just slap the "Nikon" label onto. As a lack of strong lens selection is usual the worse problem with any new mirrorless launch (one Nikon 1 and Sony FE are still kinda struggling under). Samsung NX's lens line up is far from perfect, but it is an incredibly strong starting point for Nikon to use. 

Lauching a mirrorless DX rather than going full hog with a mirrorless FX camera could also be a good way to ease into the mirrorless world (as Nikon 1 isn't going to cut it in the long run for replacing their high end). My big big big concern is if the NX mount can handle a full frame sensor in it?? As Nikon would never launch another mirrorless system that doesn't allow them to go full frame in the long run to get the high and compete against Sony head to head (so it needs to be like Sony's E mount, starting with APS-C then going full frame later on. Can the NX mount do this and handle a full frame sensor inside it??). 

And finally, as a Nikon shooter I'd love to see an intelligent adapter for Nikon F to NX to arrive!! (which Nikon must surely launch, if it is going with a "Nikon X" mount mirrorless system)

Over the last couple of months I talked quite a few times to a Samsung representative in Düsseldorf, Germany who told me repeatedly that he has indeed seen Samsung’s FF sensor at their German facility in Schwalbach, not mounted in a camera, he said, but on its own. In the early fall he was certain that Samsung was bent on giving Sony a run for their money and would enter the FF mirrorless market in the coming year, with the FF sensor ready for launch.

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/yes-we-can-confirm-samsung-developed-a-reayd-to-launch-full-frame-mirrorless-camera-now-owned-by-nikon/

Pity we never got to see a full frame Samsung NX camera, and I guess this indicates that the NX mount *can* handle full frame inside it!!! :-D
(unless you think Samsung was planning on coming up with yet another new mount... I don't think so!)