jacoblewis

Is Samsung shutting down their camera business?

You forget, they are mortal enemies with Apple, but even so they supply a lot of the components that go into Apple's products.

When it comes to money, even your enemies can be friends if it means increased profits.

Never underestimate the power of cash.

Apple is an American company.  Americans helped the south Koreans during the Korean war.  Hell, with respect to Korea and Japan.  Korea still wants an apology from japan for the rapes of Korean woman during WW2 while Japan barely acknowledges that WW2 even happened.  Partnership between Canon and Samsung could happen, but I doubt it in this case.  My guess and recent rumors point to Samsung starting a new full frame (or higher) line of cameras that will blow sony out of the water.  Imagine a full size (or medium format) NX1 sensor with better DR, lowlight sensitivity, frame rate than the A7sii or A7rii on a fully adaptable newly created mount attached to a camera with the same body size of an a7rii.  Samsung has the technology.... and lets be honest, the NX mount is/was such a minor player that if it gets abandon, very few people will care.  I could be wrong, let's hope I'm not :-)

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Well that Korean news link on the previous page says Samsung is going to introduce a mirrorless flagship at CES 2016. Perhaps after seeing Sony rake in cash from the A7's they're going dump APS-c and the NX line in favor of FF and starting a new mount/line. They clearly have the tech, a FF NX1 would be awesome. We'll see.

I agree, the lack of awareness is very damaging. Samsung themselves are partially to blame, they haven't oriented their marketing efforts to educate the public. As you said, most people think only of cell phones and home appliances when you say Samsung.

People are not aware just how big Samsung is. When you say Samsung, most people think of Samsung Electronics --- which is just one company of 'Samsung Group' (75+ sub-companies and affiliates in different industries). For example, most people on this forum may be surprised to learn that Samsung does work in nuclear power, civil engineering sky scrappers, and even military defense technology. Samsung revenue accounts for nearly 20% of South Korea's GDP. They have an obscene net worth and expertise in nearly every field, so the the idea that they wouldn't have the technical ability to produce stellar camera technology, as some 'elitists' like to claim, is baseless. 

However, technical ability is of course not the only term in the equation. If you have poor leadership, conflicting leadership, bean counters that don't understand the long-term vision ...... well what you get are engineers that are forced compromised.... then you can get sh!tty products, and as we all know they have released some duds in the past. With more recent products, and especially the NX1 the technical team was finally unleashed to do their best work --- but the fear now is that it might have come too late. If the camera operation had been under-performing for years, the NX1 could be perceived as a hail-Mary pass --- with the market not responding quite enthusiastically as they had hoped.

So now.... we're all left wondering what comes next. Do they have the grit to stick to a long-term play to garner respect and admiration in cameras, or has the sting of sustained losses scared them off.

It's be bemusing watching the almost exponential increase in Samsung NX chatter. It's managed to get haters talking about it because they have always wanted Samsung to fail and go back to Korea with their tail between their legs, same thing happened with the Samsung Note. Was a flop, the Note 2 sold an insane amount of units and literally adjusted the entire industry. They were the first to put wifi in cameras. Again, the comment was 'it's just a stupid gimmick nobody wants, they're just doing it because they're cameras are crap'. That's a quote from a rep working with a major camera brand. Now 'does it have wifi' is one of the most common initial questions a customer asks. 

It's a hard one to gauge, but for me it's kind of fascinating. As NX leaves more areas, more people talk about it. If they're not getting the sales, pulling out is netting them pure organic marketing; articles, blog posts and word of mouth chatter that you just couldn't buy. This would have actually led to new sales as well as also discouraging people on the fence, that would have swung one way or the other.

If this keeps up, by the time is gets to CES2016 they'll have more people paying attention than at any other announcement they've ever done in the history of Samsung NX.

I know for a fact the NX1 turned all sorts of heads, especially at Sony. I also found it funny that Sony released the A7rii with IBIS, and at the end of the same month, Samsung released 1.4 providing DIS. 

Anyway, I got mine, so I don't care lol

SMALL_SAM_0302.jpg

Doesn't Nikon already get their sensors from Sony? And from my understanding, the 6 month exclusivity that Sony holds over its tech is near up, so why would Nikon switch their sourcing now?

According to Canon Rumors, Canon has a pro mirrorless coming out next year, so my bet is Canon sources their new sensors for their mirrorless cameras from Samsung.

Where did you read about the 6 month exclusivity?

I don't think that exists... the 36MP Sony CMOS appeared first in the D800... quite a long time before it appeared in the A7R.

Canon pro mirrorless camera with Samsung sensor is a bit of a reach I'm afraid.

I don't think that exists... the 36MP Sony CMOS appeared first in the D800... quite a long time before it appeared in the A7R.

I think that dynamic changed after the a7S appeared though. Nikon are no longer getting stuff first.

In any event, a Nikon with Samsung sensors and processors will almost immediately make them real contenders as first choice hybrid cameras, and that will be serious competition for Sony's latest iterations of the a7 series. Who knows, Nikon could be doing a Dillon and going mirrorless at CES.

It should be interesting if that happens, it will set the cat among the pigeons for sure.

it would take a generation of photographers for Samsung to get anywhere near the recognition of Nikon or Canon. Sony has been at it for at least a decade and they are still light years behind them...in photo brand recognition.

One camera will change nothing.

Don`t get me wrong...if I was to buy a 4K camera it would be NX1, but I`m a nerd :) 

The exclusivity info I heard second hand from another member.

And is it any further of a stretch than Nikon and Samsung joining forces to create the most powerful beyond FF camera to ever exist?

Just thought I would let everyone know that I just talked with Samsung Support. I made the comment that I loved the NX1 and that I was sad to see that Samsung was pulling out of the camera business (digging for info without actually asking for it). The woman's response was:

"Thanks. I appreciate your love for Samsung Cameras. As for closing the division, as of now there are no such plans."

Of course, I am sure this is something Samsung tells them to say. My gut tells me they aren't just going to pull out of these huge European markets, and just leave the US intact. But it gives me hope that things are still in the works. Maybe the NX line will be dead worldwide in a few months, but maybe something bigger is on the horizon. I certainly hope so.

It's be bemusing watching the almost exponential increase in Samsung NX chatter. It's managed to get haters talking about it because they have always wanted Samsung to fail and go back to Korea with their tail between their legs, same thing happened with the Samsung Note. Was a flop, the Note 2 sold an insane amount of units and literally adjusted the entire industry. They were the first to put wifi in cameras. Again, the comment was 'it's just a stupid gimmick nobody wants, they're just doing it because they're cameras are crap'. That's a quote from a rep working with a major camera brand. Now 'does it have wifi' is one of the most common initial questions a customer asks. 

It's a hard one to gauge, but for me it's kind of fascinating. As NX leaves more areas, more people talk about it. If they're not getting the sales, pulling out is netting them pure organic marketing; articles, blog posts and word of mouth chatter that you just couldn't buy. This would have actually led to new sales as well as also discouraging people on the fence, that would have swung one way or the other.

If this keeps up, by the time is gets to CES2016 they'll have more people paying attention than at any other announcement they've ever done in the history of Samsung NX.

I know for a fact the NX1 turned all sorts of heads, especially at Sony. I also found it funny that Sony released the A7rii with IBIS, and at the end of the same month, Samsung released 1.4 providing DIS. 

Anyway, I got mine, so I don't care lol

SMALL_SAM_0302.jpg

nice collection, you have ;-) it competes with mine! :-P 

http://photorumors.com/2015/12/01/korean-news-website-reports-about-a-new-samsung-camera-being-announced-at-2016-ces/

CES news is going to be fun :)

My guess/hope? Samsung went nuts and bought the Nikon brand. Keeps the DSLR line and keeps making mirrorless under the Nikon label.

My guess/hope? Samsung went nuts and bought the Nikon brand. Keeps the DSLR line and keeps making mirrorless under the Nikon label.

No chance in hell of that, sadly. Samsung is pulling out of the European camera market because they don't think consumers buy stand-alone cameras anymore; they're not going to acquire a whole company to expand a division they have zero faith in.

Still, I'm excited to see what they announce. Now that we have native H.265 support and the lessons learned from the NX1/NX500, their next body could be an absolute slam dunk.

The Korean 'report' actually sites little more than a rumours website run buy a guy from his bedroom, presumably not even from a desk but from under the sheets

Then like a monty python sketch the usual rumours sites site the Korean report as a rumour to get some more clicks

And now we have another rumour about a rumour coming soon, 99% true, 12am London time, blah blah blah.

As a Samsung user I am very confused and they really do need to get a grip on all this.

Just tell us what is going on already.

PS - my humble opinion on the new mirrorless NX camera at CES would be that it is false, because you don't cut links with every retailer in Europe and the UK if you have a new camera range coming 1 month later. Who will sell it for them? Flash Gordon?

The Korean 'report' actually sites little more than a rumours website run buy a guy from his bedroom, presumably not even from a desk but from under the sheets

Then like a monty python sketch the usual rumours sites site the Korean report as a rumour to get some more clicks

And now we have another rumour about a rumour coming soon, 99% true, 12am London time, blah blah blah.

As a Samsung user I am very confused and they really do need to get a grip on all this.

Just tell us what is going on already.

PS - my humble opinion on the new mirrorless NX camera at CES would be that it is false, because you don't cut links with every retailer in Europe and the UK if you have a new camera range coming 1 month later. Who will sell it for them? Flash Gordon?

All I know is that I got my NX1 w/ 16-50mm S Lens and I love the combination. Absolutely a killer camera and lens. And better in lowlight than I thought it would be. But if the situation truly calls for lowlight, my a7S will be more than enough for that!

Ha! Techno, the only thing I have my eye on now is the NX500, body only obviously. It isn't like I need another 16-50. 

Adobe just released h265 support, Sammy engineers have all of this extra experience now, the programmers as well, with the firmware updates. They tried the retail route and they weren't supported, so maybe they're like 'well fuck 'em then we'll do it our way'.  :) 

Also, everybody who actually takes an interest in cameras and their tech probably now knows about Samsung and the NX1. The sheep who haven't got a clue wouldn't understand the specs anyway and they're the ones who stagger blindly into high street stores. They don't really make their own purchasing decisions, they just follow the herd.

Regarding pulling out of stores, they could always do what Blackmagic and others do, special orders into outlets like Park Cameras. Those who know what they're talking about wouldn't give two shits about some big flashy display unit in a shop, plus you (and you) tend to be the people that get asked advice on cameras by friends and family who don't have a clue. 

I guess we will find out more in an hour... To be fair, mirrorless rumours have been running these "Samsung pulling out" stories from the beginning and got a lot right.

Some kind of buy out / partnership seems the most likely situation.

Maybe they can use the distribution channels of an bought company / or an joint venture / or an buyer of their camera division ...

The detail that's being overlooked here is that Mirrorless Rumours said that Nikon and Sony readers should stay tuned as it's the most imports news of the last 2 years, or something. 

Nikon buy sensors off Sony. 

Samsung are shutting down their camera division. 

It looks like Samsung will be providing something - sensors, lenses or something else entirely., to do with Nikon/Sony. I'd guess Nikon are the beneficiaries. 

p.s I'm personally hoping for a Full Frame 28MP 6k video Microwave with curved LED screen and optional refrigerated 5 axis gimbal/multi-rotor + pistol grip. :)

Also, check the exclamation mark in this sentence:

UPDATE: Unlike reported by other sites there is no “Samsung(!) NX2” coming at CES.